Recommend a good Yoga Book

Hi,

I am just getting into Yoga and would like to do a bit of reading up. Can someone recommend a good Yoga book?

Thanks

1 Like

Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health by B.K.S. Iyengar.

[I]Asana Pranyama Mudra Bandha[/I] by Swami Satyananda Saraswati, Bihar School of Yoga; 12th edition (November 2002)

[I]Ashtanga Yoga Primer [/I]by Baba Hari Dass, Sri Rama Pub (October 1981)
[I]Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual[/I] by Mukunda Stiles, Weiser Books (January 2001)

Ronan,
Here are 2 more great books to get you started. As a precaution, I want to add that as you read books from different lineages, do not mix the pranayama (breathing) practices. Most consider it safe to mix asana practices but not pranayama. For example, you’ll find that the pranayama from Baba Hari Das is different than that of Prof. Krishnamacharya. B.K.S. Inyengar (IA’s very good recommendation) and Mukunda Stiles are both in Prof. Krishnamacharya’s lineage so they too are different from Baba Hari Das. It is best to learn pranayama directly from a qualified teacher, though I understand it may not always possible.

Best of luck as you discover what works for you. Enjoy your reading!
Cheers

I got started on reading this many years ago.Although it is not Yoga per-say in an orthodox sense,I still keep it by my bed and read a few pages every now and then before I go to sleep for inspiration.
Amazon.com: Beavis Butthead Chicken Soup For The Butt: A Guide To Finding Your Inner Butt (MTV’s Beavis & Butt-Head): Books: Andy Rheingold,Scott Sonneborn

Three great yoga books:

1. The Heart of Yoga (T.K.V Desikachar)
  • This was a required reading for my teacher training course. It is a comprehensive text written by the son of Krishnamacharya (one of the greatest yogis of the modern era). The book includes Pantanjali’s Yoga Sutra - with a translation and commentary by Desikachar.
  1. Jivamukti Yoga (Sharon Gannon & David Life)
  • From the back cover, “The long-awaited, complete guide to the popular, vigorous method of yoga that is deeply rooted in ancient wisdom and scriptures”. This is a wonderful, well rounded text. Die-hard carnivores beware - Jivanmukti Yoga (soul liberation) adheres to the principle of ahimsa (non-violence) and promotes a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.
  1. Quest for the True Self (Stephen Cope)
  • This is a compelling read - less text and more autobiographical. Cope is a Western-trained psychotherapist, who lived and taught at Kripalu. From the back cover: “…Cope shows how yoga can heal the suffering of self-estrangement that pervades our society, leading us to a new sense of purpose and to a deeper more satisfying life in the world.”

A while back I wrote a blog with an excerpt from Cope’s book: click here.

happy reading,
Sonja

1 Like

[QUOTE=Trinity;5554]Three great yoga books:
…Die-hard carnivores beware - Jivanmukti Yoga (soul liberation) adheres to the principle of ahimsa (non-violence) and promotes a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle…
[/QUOTE]

This is a bit understated as they are so “adherent” they themselves are violent and therefore violate ahimsa in the pursuit of guarding its doors. How ironic.

1 Like

Hari om tatsat

A good book on kundalini yoga is " kundalini " written by shri vibhakarji pandya

Siddhyog

1 Like

[[B]Upanishads[/B] du [B]yoga[/B]: [B]UNESCO[/B] Culture Sector](http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=7265&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html)

If you find an english translation, ( I have one in romanian) it is a very nice way to know yoga in it’s traditional context.
Basically it is a translation by Jean Varenne (GALLIMARD, 1974), it contains the Upanishads about yoga, it has very good introduction and it’s full of notes, those being explained in separate chapters.
Those who know the upanishads, know that there is very little about hatha yoga (asana) more on pranayama, and a lot about the other limbs. I especially like the parts about siddhis. :slight_smile: I think that is a bit of ancient advertising … even with the advise not to make them as objects of desire. (That just make them more desirable :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Swami Janakananda: “Yoga, Tantra and Meditation in Daily Life”

1 Like

am interested in learning about yoga please reccommend some books, thank you.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of existing threads that recommend books for every level. Please use the search function to see what has already been offered.

Kind wishes,

[QUOTE=Nichole;7681]Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of existing threads that recommend books for every level. Please use the search function to see what has already been offered.

Kind wishes,[/QUOTE]

yes of course it is very easy to use the search function in order to find reccommendations; thank you for welcoming me, just the same Nichole.

1 Like

You’re welcome. I should have added that reading these other posts may generate more questions or leave you incomplete, so please ask for whatever you need.

Blessings,

1 Like

[QUOTE=Nichole;7685]You’re welcome. I should have added that reading these other posts may generate more questions or leave you incomplete, so please ask for whatever you need.

Blessings,[/QUOTE]

Yes Nichole, thank you; i don’t necessarily need to induce myself with more questions, maybey incomplete for searching to begin with; yet, am interested in the experiences that through some influential yoga book offered …and then again, shared.

Hi,

There are so many books that can be recommended. Before I make my recommendation, may I ask a few questions in return.
Do you want to study asanas or do you want to study the philosophy behind yoga?
What is your inner motivation for studying yoga?
Have you done yoga before or are you totally new to yoga?
Do you have a teacher or are you going to attempt yoga on your own?

Your responses to these questions will help everybody to recommend the most appropriate literature for you.

[QUOTE=Pandara;7695]Hi,

There are so many books that can be recommended. Before I make my recommendation, may I ask a few questions in return.
Do you want to study asanas or do you want to study the philosophy behind yoga?
What is your inner motivation for studying yoga?
Have you done yoga before or are you totally new to yoga?
Do you have a teacher or are you going to attempt yoga on your own?

Your responses to these questions will help everybody to recommend the most appropriate literature for you.[/QUOTE]

hi and thank you Pandara for your reply; yes there are too many books out there; i have two good books on yoga positions; have taken a few yoga classes which were really great, also;
so in essense, am very interested in yoga philosophy and asanas; am looking for something advanced, and would like to hear other’s experiences;
no, i do not have a teacher;
thank you so much Pandara :smiley:

http://haas.110mb.com/yoga.html

[QUOTE=mkaytie5;7746]http://haas.110mb.com/yoga.html[/QUOTE]

Excellent, thank you:)

Dear All

[B]Re : New to Yoga[/B]

I would like to commence practicing Yoga at home, for up to 1 hour per day, 7 days per week. Initially, my interest is in achieving higher levels of physical fitness.

Can you please recommend a book or books with Yoga ‘programmes’ that I could follow ?

Thank you.