Advancing Past My Instructor.. Need Guidance

I am a young, flexible woman who’s been doing Yoga for about a year now. I started my Yoga journey on a recommendation from my Chiropractor that it might help with my back and neck pain.

It took ONE class to be hooked and I quickly advanced as I continued to do Yoga at home and take additional classes whenever I could.

However, I’m now starting to surpass my instructors in my abilities.

I have two different Yoga instructors depending on the day of the week I go. There is a Mon, Wed class and instructor and a Tues, Thurs class and instructor.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my Yoga instructors! They are knowledgeable and great teachers but neither of them are advanced practitioners and there is no other Yoga class or studio that I know of in quite some distance.

My Tues, Thurs instructor is my favorite because even if she can’t deepen or do a particular pose she will directly instruct me to at least try it and even work with me to do what even she cannot. She often also uses me for examples on how some poses should look because I have far greater flexibility than she does. She will often give instructions for the class to do one pose and tell me to do another to challenge myself.

Today, throughout most of the practice she was by my side really instructing me on ways to deepen everything that the others were doing.

It makes me really appreciate her willingness to take me to the next level even if she can’t go there.

I want to start learning and practicing more advances poses but I don’t know where to go from here.

I’m really wanting to get into some inversions like handstands and more arm strengthening and balance poses like crane and the like.

I KNOW my instructor would not mind my doing more advances poses or taking her poses and incorporating more advanced options of them, if anything she’s be right there encouraging me, but I don’t know what to do next.

My chiropractor gave me the green light to really start trying to deepen my backbends. She watched me do one backbend today and said it looks really good and with my level of flexibility she is all for me going as deep as I can.

I’m so excited to try things like King Pigeon, Wild Thing and so much more but I want to do them safely too.

What are my options?

Research, Stick to the forum, Practice at home. This is the point of destination for advanced student.

I bet there is a studio with a more advanced instructor around if you’re willing to drive an hour. It might be worth going the distance once a week or every other week to get some hands-on guidance in more advanced poses, and then keep up your practice with the courses nearby. Maybe you could take a weekend workshop somewhere and then practice what you learned at home or in class. It sounds like your instructor is willing to help you incorporate more advances poses into your classes, even if you can’t learn them from her.