Advice for getting into yoga

Hey Hey
I’ve been going all over the internet trying to find some good beginner yoga videos and such but I haven’t had any luck. Most of them immediately start out asking me to contort my body in ways which would snap me in half.
I am a 28 year old, male, 6’1", 160lbs. I am thin but I am NOT flexible at all. I am trying to find something to ease me into this without breaking in half.
I also don’t know if there are like knockoff yoga routines that don’t actually provide as much of a benefit as others.
I don’t really want to go to a class either, my schedule is very hectic and I’d much rather do it in my apartment.
Any recommendations? If I am wasting peoples time, I apologize in advance. Thanks.

Vejita00: If you don’t mind, could I ask why you haven’t considered actually attending a formal (as in, contained with a structure or if not in a structure, led by an actual instructor) class? Is there no class or studio near you? Is there no free class being offered at a YMCA? Just do a little more research. Good luck.

[QUOTE=NewBreedYogi;72957]Vejita00: If you don’t mind, could I ask why you haven’t considered actually attending a formal (as in, contained with a structure or if not in a structure, led by an actual instructor) class? Is there no class or studio near you? Is there no free class being offered at a YMCA? Just do a little more research. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
I am just not interested in doing a class. I don’t have the time, that and I work overnights so my schedule really doesn’t permit me to get to these type of classes when they typically go on. Thanks though.

www.doyogawithme.com

Beginner videos on there. Try and send a donation as well to help keep the site going n

[QUOTE=Vejita00;72959]I am just not interested in doing a class. I don’t have the time, that and I work overnights so my schedule really doesn’t permit me to get to these type of classes when they typically go on. Thanks though.[/QUOTE]

Vejita00: Hopefully, I didn’t come off as condescending. I was just trying to steer you towards a live instructor who can make those types of corrections in alignment and posture. Obviously, in your situation you are doing the best you can.

In that case, try youtube first. Search for the particular style, person or movement in particular and just go from there. Again, best wishes.

Yogaworks has some great beginner videos.

Try the “YogaWorks for Everybody: Beginners AM/PM” video. They have it on Amazon.

I really do suggest trying to attend at least a class a week though. Where are you from? I live in the SF bay area and I attend a lot of “by donation” classes.

[QUOTE=fairyinboots;73007]Yogaworks has some great beginner videos.

Try the [B]“YogaWorks for Everybody: Beginners AM/PM” [/B]video. They have it on Amazon.

I really do suggest trying to attend at least a class a week though. Where are you from? I live in the SF bay area and I attend a lot of “by donation” classes.[/QUOTE]

That’s the intro to yoga DVD I was just about to recommend too! It is good and I still use it. Another good intro DVD is an older one called Yoga Zone: Introduction to Yoga. You can view clips of these two at collagevideo.com to see if you like the looks of them before buying, or see if your library has them or others to try out.

Enjoy! But, careful, once you get into it Yoga DVD’s are quite addictive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Vejita00 I agree with fairyinboots Yogaworks for Beginners is a very good video as I have got it.

I recommend that you sign up for Yoga class instead of studying from videos. Despite a pure educational value, classes have an important social aspect to it, which makes you more motivated and focus on your practice.

Yogaglow.com is a great resource for classes
You can choose the instructor, class type, class length, and level
I believe it is $18 a month
Also, there is an i phone app called yoga quiz by drishiti which is a great way to learn the individual asanas in English and Sanskrit
Also, you can download i book yoga anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff and it is a super reference for asanas. It breaks down all the categories sitting, standing, kneeling, supine, and prone poses. Have most importantly go to every studio you can find and take classes. Have fun!!!

I agree with NewBreedYogi - I’m a relative newbie when it comes to yoga. I started with home videos but quickly realized that if I really wanted to make improvements that I’d have to start going to classes. I ended up going once a week for a couple of months. I just go back now and then when I feel like I’m up for some tips. I really like being along when I’m practicing.

Is doing yoga is one of the best idea or not. I am thinking of stating any exercise is doing yoga is good for health or bodybuilding. Would you please let me know what is the best way to reduce weight and belly fat and which one help me.

I am very new to yoga, but wanted to say that the most helpful thing I’ve done so far is to have a private session at my yoga studio. My instructor, Diane, was wonderful in helping me with correct form and what areas of my body could be more open.

[QUOTE=Vejita00;72955]Hey Hey
I’ve been going all over the internet trying to find some good beginner yoga videos and such but I haven’t had any luck. Most of them immediately start out asking me to contort my body in ways which would snap me in half.
I am a 28 year old, male, 6’1", 160lbs. I am thin but I am NOT flexible at all. I am trying to find something to ease me into this without breaking in half.
I also don’t know if there are like knockoff yoga routines that don’t actually provide as much of a benefit as others.
I don’t really want to go to a class either, my schedule is very hectic and I’d much rather do it in my apartment.
Any recommendations? If I am wasting peoples time, I apologize in advance. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Vejita00,
Yoga is a vast field. To get into it, you should be clear about your need and purpose for joining this activity.
Secondly, it is a need as well important for a beginner, as said by other contributor, to learn Yoga from a Yoga teacher directly i.e. either on one on one basis or in the group; not from indirect sources such as Video, books, etc.
Once you clarifies your need and purpose for joining Yoga and; …feels and thinks it (need and purpose) needed to be prioritized, it will becomes easy for you to dig out time for … However, after speculation, if you still cling on learning from indirect sources, wait for right time to get into Yoga.

Most of them immediately start out asking me to contort my body in ways which would snap me in half

The above is why you need to make time for a class that is alignment based for beginners.
Beginning a yoga practice from a DVD can make it difficult to break any learned habits that are incorrect or injurious. It may manifest quickly or over a long period.

Could a compromise be booking a private lesson from a qualified and experienced teacher? After several sessions, you would then gain insight into proper alignment and breathing allowing a home practice using DVD’s a bit more understandable and approachable.

[QUOTE=amanda143;73222]Is doing yoga is one of the best idea or not. I am thinking of stating any exercise is doing yoga is good for health or bodybuilding. Would you please let me know what is the best way to reduce weight and belly fat and which one help me.[/QUOTE]

The practice of asana (only speaking here of the physical practice) will tone and increase your strength, stamina and flexibility. Astanga or Power yoga due to the pace can aid in weight reduction. But what actually happens by practicing yoga is you become more mindful. This mindfulness can and often times include “what” you put into your mouth. So yes, it can help if mindfulness is developed.