Beginner Question

Hello,

I just started practicing yoga a little over 4 months ago. I’ve been practicing everyday without fail, 6 days a week. I started for health benefits. I had a different exercise routine I was doing at the same amount, but decided I wanted to try switching to yoga.

My question is, is it okay to do the same exact positions everyday? I’ve been using a dvd because the classes were cost prohibitive for me. I like it just fine, but I’m just wondering if there are any drawbacks or if it’s considered good practice to do the same exact positions everyday. I could try different dvd’s, but I feel like I’m just starting to get familiar with the one I have now and would like to see how it feels as I continue to use it.

A static practice yields static results. For beginner’s however it is completely appropriate to develop routine and discipline through a static sequence.

Of course no pose is ever the same the next day as it was the previous day. The student learns to come to the posture with the approach of a beginner, thus avoiding the rote “doing” of poses.

Sound sequencing is an art for AND it tends to create more residue in the practitioner. If you’ve got a sound sequence, all the better. Just don’t fall into a groove of your practice having to be this one.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;87656]A static practice yields static results. For beginner’s however it is completely appropriate to develop routine and discipline through a static sequence.

Of course no pose is ever the same the next day as it was the previous day. The student learns to come to the posture with the approach of a beginner, thus avoiding the rote “doing” of poses.

Sound sequencing is an art for AND it tends to create more residue in the practitioner. If you’ve got a sound sequence, all the better. Just don’t fall into a groove of your practice having to be this one.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your response. So I guess that means I’m good for now then, eh? I’ve got another dvd that I haven’t tried yet because it’s an hour and a half, which is a bit more time than I want to invest and it looks kinda difficult. I’m currently practicing for an hour everyday. But maybe I’ll try to start learning it soon.