Bikram for post disc surgery stifness

Bonjour

After a herniated disc operation in February 2011 that was inevitable (tried ayurveda and Iyengar but the herniation was too far out to avoid surgery), I have been slowly recovering some body range of motion and strength mostly practicing basic stretching moves, some light yoga and Pilates for the core strenghtening.

Although I tried to be quite consitant in my stretching and exercise routine, I still have very stiff limbs, especially my legs, hips, calves and lower back… Stifness was already there during my regular yoga practice before the operation due to chronic scoliosis , but now it seems like my body is fighting against myself to remain stiff and closed… I strecth, the next day it is super stiff again. I re-restretch, after few days it is back to muscle cramps and pain!!

I have heard that Bikram Yoga could be a good way to loosen in depth my stubborn muscles and fascias . Although I am not a big fan of Bikram on an ayurvedic point of view, I am ready to give it a try if it allows me to open deeper the tensed areas in order to get back to a normal practice of regular Vinyasa Asanas.

Can Bikram represent a risk for my scoliosis and lumbar discs weaknesses?

Did any user of this forum have had a similar experience of stifness that could be sorted out thanks to Bikram?

Thank you in advance

Love from France

YES Bikram could be a BIG problem if you have lumbar weakness!!!

There are some back bends and side bends a the beginning of the practice that could be very unsafe for those with back issues or any weakness of postural muscles…especially with a "teacher"shouting to push harder, more, more etc.
And the lying down then flinging yourself up to a sitting position in between seated postures is not good for anyone’s back at all.

Yoga can absolutely help you to gain strength in your postural muscles, helping to prevent back problems and can improve you flexibility.

Look for a teacher of any kind of hatha yoga (except bikram) who is well qualified and knowledgeable about the back issues you have.
Maybe try some Iyengar yoga and some yin yoga or restorative yoga. Once you are feeling stronger then perhaps some vinyasa flow…but take it slowly to begin with. Listen to your body…it will take time…months/years not just days/weeks to see improvements.

Also try a lying down hamstring stretch every day for 3 mins or so each leg, use a strap over your foot so that your upper body and back can be relaxed on the floor…seated and standing hamstring stretches could cause problems with your back if not done correctly and as you already have a problem a lying hamstring stretch is the best option.
Look up some simple stretches for shoulders also that you can do at home as well as going to a regular class.

Good luck.

El Nino -
Yogacambodia is right - Bikram can be dangerous if you have just had lumbar surgery. I might suggest looking at the khyf.net website to see if there are any vinyasa-yoga style therapists in your area who can really help you out with your stiffness, while protecting your back. There is a ‘find a teacher’ link there, and I KNOW there are a few extremely good teachers in France, but I do not know if they live near you.

One good thing about Bikram which I would say, is that the room is very warm. If you are having a lot of stiffness, perhaps you could try to sleep at night with some heating pads or an electric blanket, and make sure that during cool weather you are dressed very very warmly. It may also help you to spend some time in a sauna or steam room, as they are well known to reduce pain and stiffness due to muscle cramping. However, if you have injury, be careful afterwards. The heat helps you to stretch further without pain, but it does not mean that your body is strong enough to support being so far outside of your limitations.

For me, Bikram is not Yoga. It is competitive and encourages you to “push through and endure the pain”. The premise is to move the spine in all directions, thus creating balance. But for those with herniated disc’s (referring specifically to lumbar region) it could be contraindicated to move the spine into flexion or extension depending on the herniation and other issues involved. Each person is unique, thus their treatment is also unique.

As far as heat, there are many differing views whether to use heat or ice. My doctor has suggested to use heat before practice (and not just a heating pad…think Tiger Balm or BioFreeze) and ice after for inflammation. For me, this has been effective.

One final thought. Those with herniated disc’s need to stay more hydrated than the average person. If you are in a 105 degree room for 1 1/2 hours and not allowed to rehydrate (including your electrolytes) your chances for heat stroke increase dramatically, not to mention you will have a false sense of your “limit” and likely push beyond increasing your risk for further injury.

Look for a good qualified teacher or Yoga Therapist. They will serve your needs post surgery.

Thank you all for your very useful responses. I will definitely take those into accounts, btw I have decided not to start Bikram due to too many challenging poses.

I have found method which works for me so far, few stretches exercises from Lucas Rockwood. They have proven very efficient so far so I will keep practicing these for a while.

As Yoga Cambodia describes, the lying down hamstring exercises are introduced as being the best since they use gravity force and protect the hips and back during the stretches …