Can yoga bring out emotions and pains in your body?

I’m fairly new to yoga (and new to this forum too!!) but have been practicing consistantly for a few months now. I suffer from chest pains due to panic, anxiety and stress which I’m trying to conquer and alleviate through yoga. Practising yoga has helped me a great deal and I have come a long way in overcoming my anxiety disorder.
However, I’ve noticed that when I’ve had a really bad time with anxiety and my chest hurts, I practice yoga to try and calm myself down. This works but then the next day, the pains seemed to have magnified and it feels even more painful and sore. I was just wondering if this is normal as I’ve heard yoga is very good for working negative emotions like anxiety and stress out of the body and the extra pain is my body telling me that its come to the surface. Its the same with my emotions. I’ve practiced yoga before and then the next day I’ll feel very low and cry. I also feel quite exhausted. Is this the yoga having worked the negative emotions out of my body and brought it to the forefront for it to be released ie. in this case, my tears?!

I’d be very greatful for some light shed on this topic!

Namaste

:slight_smile:

it sounds to my extremely ignorant and novice opinion that you need to learn to control your endocrine system (which controls your hormones) and the only way i know of is through Qigong…im kind of in the same world as you i think…deppressed…lonely…really i just need a hug…so im turning (or returning?) into an esoteric maniac.

have you tried cuddling?

1 Like

Why Qigong? Yoga doees have very much influence in balancing endocrine system, even those “sarva hita” asanas, the most simple ones. I’d suggest she should continue with yoga practise, and to do pranayama and meditation regularily.

woudlnt you think that pranayana is a bit advanced for a beginner?

qigong is just real easy on the body which is great for beginners.

i actually just got back from a 7 straight hour qigong workshop held by one of the monks from wudang mountain in Austin…it was pretty interesting…there was a wide variety of people young and old new and experienced…a few of the younger kids got bored and started drifting off but for the most part everyone seemed to be having a pretty good time, i wouldnt say it was magical or mystical, and didnt hoenstly feel on par as a couple puffs of grass…BUT it was extremely calming and relaxing espiclaly under the fan with the aerodynamics of the movements it really felt like swimming thruogh air…as a newbie my self i found it pretty exciting and fun…its also not exhausting at all, you might build up a bit of a sweat but its much more energizing than exhausting.

i also do qigong twice a week in my taichi class, i havent quite memorized the forms of it yet but my teacher says its okay to practise the pieces i do remember (if you incorporate the berathing into it theres closing techniques and other internal stuff you need to do making it a bit more advanced) in the morning right after i wake up and it completely alievates the stiffness in my back and the groggy feeling.

which kinda reminds me of something iread in an iyengar book…something aruond the lines of…in the morning your mind is awake but body stiff, at night your body lose but mind may have trouble concentrating, so me personally when i wake up youll see me doing qigong and and the standing yoga asanas and tai chi all mixed up into my own little jeet kune do.

but anyways all this anxiety and stress and nervousness seems to come from the fact that people cant just “be”

like when im at the bus stop i see people all around me fidgeting and looking around looking at their watch tapping their foot…theyre midn so diseased with boredom…a kid might pick up a gameboy not because hes itnerested in the game but just because he watns to be doing something,…he doesnt want to be the loser, the borded kid, he wants to eb the happy person with somethign to do smiling, at least other people think hes happy…think he has it figured out…kids know that life is about being happy and they are self contious of it.

adults though are jsut diseased with nervousness and axneity…and i think the answer is to calm the mind whether youre pretending to be a crane or doing the tango or sitting in lotus position or like i said earlier, cuddling…for that moment you arent bored, your mind isnt thinking “damn i only have so much lfie to life to lvie and here i am jut wasting it”

i dunno im getting distracted i have to go

Yes, I see you’re getting distracted…

All I wanted to say is why should he/she learn a completely new discipline while he/she already does yoga, which is also good. I’m not against Qigong, and surely I believe it helps people. It’s just that there’s no need for someone who practises yoga to reach for something else of simmilar effect.

[quote=Sunnybird;2990]I’m fairly new to yoga (and new to this forum too!!) but have been practicing consistantly for a few months now. I suffer from chest pains due to panic, anxiety and stress which I’m trying to conquer and alleviate through yoga. Practising yoga has helped me a great deal and I have come a long way in overcoming my anxiety disorder.
However, I’ve noticed that when I’ve had a really bad time with anxiety and my chest hurts, I practice yoga to try and calm myself down. This works but then the next day, the pains seemed to have magnified and it feels even more painful and sore. I was just wondering if this is normal as I’ve heard yoga is very good for working negative emotions like anxiety and stress out of the body and the extra pain is my body telling me that its come to the surface. Its the same with my emotions. I’ve practiced yoga before and then the next day I’ll feel very low and cry. I also feel quite exhausted. Is this the yoga having worked the negative emotions out of my body and brought it to the forefront for it to be released ie. in this case, my tears?!

I’d be very greatful for some light shed on this topic!

Namaste

:)[/quote]

Dear Sunnybird ,

Your problems ar not big. I’ve written plenty of articles just to help friends like you (see attachments). You are bound to receive much help from reading them and practising the instructions given therein. I’ve been learning and practising the following since 22 years - Yoga, Reiki, Vipassana, Ayurveda, Naturopathy and Psychic Healing.

You are also invited to join my Yoga group: pawan_yoga : Pawan Yoga where we can have lots more meaningful discussions.

Regards and all the best.

Allan

to memoria

hi im also new to this site looking for advice on yoga cause knowone around to guide me i live in south africa but my tai chi teacher is in england who i only see once a year ( good in some respects but not in others ) I was wondering ( and i hope im not being to forward!! ) after reading your last reply you were geting your words lla imedx pu are you dyslexic cause I am and it was one of the main reasons i started practising tai chi as it improves balance and dyslexia is caused by an imbalance between the left and right brain. I ask because the subject intersets me greatly and thier is not a great deal of understanding on dyslexia ( learing disorder my foot!! ).

Hello i am new to this forum to and practise Raja yoga for the last 12 years of which the last 9 without any lessons .My experience is that yoga can do a lot of things ,but practising it for one thing only can have a lot of effects. To me U have a heart chakra problem which involves a lot of emotions and pains in the chest. Do a lot of standing and balancing assana’s and ones that involve the arms

if you do it everyday,you will find it can be

to sunnybird: i recently learned from one of my yoga teachers that any backbends that open the chest (and heart) can cause emotional outpourings. so if you are doing any backbending then yes this could be related. i know after a very good work out, where i am focused or perhaps where i learn something new i also have an emotional response.

do you have a teacher? as they could be helpful in balancing this so the emotion is not so intense. also just to make sure that while opening the heart you are not neglecting other areas.

to touch on this, after my first iyengar yoga session, i have had a very big emotional response, negatively, the past 2 days ive been more depressed than i have been in awhile. Its really gettin to me, but I assume its been pent up for a long time…

You could be right that its there for a long time. What is build ip in a long time won’t go after 1 Yengar yoga [U]session[/U]. I don’t know what kind of a person you are and why and with what intensions you started yoga. To me you are having problems whit the first step of patanjali’s 8steps ‘‘yama’’ and to be more specific [U]Ahimsa (no violance) [/U]You are to hard on yourself like all starters and probably get frustated by looking at others. Yoga means UNION and not comparing with others. Be satisfide whit whatever you do ,
like everybody through time you will be able to do more assanas. Depression is a state of mind that we put upon ourselves and in yoga we can fight it by meditation and have a more positive look at live. I personally experience that after a meditation , my mind is free of all samscaras and all i have to do is to look at positive things that happenend.
I hope you can do something with this and that you be more patiant.

The practice of non-violence starts from within you. This practice should be pursued with calmness and awareness with enjoyment and never as an obsession. As we stop being violent towards ourselves in any form, this quality starts radiating from us by itself. Be firm in your practice but never obsessed. Sort of narrow compulsory attitude towards practice brings about the negative results… instead of reaching calmness you reach depression. If when you are feeling depressed take care of it with firm loving calmness and awareness.

I think this is because QiGong is a lot milder and does not stimulate the nervous system as much as yoga asana and certain pranayama techniques might do. I practice both and both are great, but in some cases QiGong is a lot "friendlier" and soothing than yoga asana. Asana practice involves a lot of forcing of the body in to certain stretches, this in many cases is very useful, but sometimes you just need to move with the breath. Both is great. There is a great QiGong Class Online | Learn QiGong to learn the basics of the QiGong breathwork and movements.

Johny Utah
Pranayama Breathwork instructor
Certified Pranayama teacher training