Christian and yoga?

Hi,

My name is Wendy and I was told by a Christian friend of mine that I shouldn’t do yoga because of the spiritual attachment to it. I have a blog (see signature) where I love to talk about yoga mats and yoga overall at times. I also share about running and other passionate topics.
A friend of mine has read my blog through my FB link and started attacking me about my articles.

My question is: Is yoga only for non-believers and what sort of spiritual attachments are there to it?

Any advice would do?

Hi,

There is an in depth discussion on the same topic here and might give you some insights.

Personally, I don’t pay much attention to people like that, the speak from a point of fear and that is not a good point. What does your heart tell you? Follow that and your good sense and healthy mind. :slight_smile:

I think you should go ahead and continue your studies with yoga!! I’m a Christian and I’m a yogi!! One thing I just learned with my yoga studies…that the ego…I…is attached even to My religion. My religion is the right religion…yours is the wrong. But let’s look even at Christianity…My religion…Baptist…is the right one and yours…Catholic…is the wrong one!! Good luck and many blessings to you!!!

Hello Wendy,

I’ll try to be succinct and not muddy the waters.

There are two points of view from which I can respond to your question. The first is to explain my understanding of yoga as it relates to the topic, based on my ten years of study. The second is to speak experientially about my own path and how the practice has actually affected my living relative to the religion of my birth.

Before going further I think it is important to note Pandara’s point. There are many people who wish to argue or judge AND do so from a place of fear. To me, there is no religion on the face of the earth that advocates a living in this way. The forefathers of religion (great masters, all) would likely be appalled at the behavior of some of their “followers” doing such things in “their name”. So be forewarned that rational discourse is occasionally impossible with such folk.

Yoga is a tool through we we discover ourselves. It is a tool through we we enhance out connection to Divinity, to our source, our soul, or the light which dwells within. Yoga does not mandate one to adopt a set of beliefs nor does it mandate one to relinquish a set of beliefs. In yoga we learn that there are a myriad of pathways to the Divine, that they are available to everyone, and that they do not exclude your personal beliefs in the teachings of Buddha, G-d, Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, Mother Nature, et al.

Personally I have found yoga to be helpful to deepen my personal connection to my religion, though it is not always in the way(s) others would like. And frankly they are not the one’s living my life or steering my ship so how much of an investment can I place in their paradigm of my living.

Yes there are some who claim Yoga is a religion or that it is Hindu and there are others who claim that it welcomes in various elements of darkness. I find both positions to be out of balance and have found nothing but reward - though not always an easy reward - from my practice (which has become far more than postures over the years).

I think people have covered everything, but I will put in my 2 cents anyway.

I am a devout Christian with an open mind. I try my best to always live by and for God. I do everything possible to learn about my faith through different means from talking to religious leaders of different faiths to practicing yoga. By practicing yoga, I feel I have deepened my strength in my faith. It has allowed me to learn more about myself, improve myself and take care of His temple (my body). If someone is being so closed minded that they think by practicing a way to better yourself is wrong, then they are the ones mistaken. Also, if this friend continues attacking you, point out to them that they should love you as they God, our Father does which is something he commanded. Also, that in yoga, you practice a form of meditation and that is what many people view as wrong or dangerous and that praying to God is a form of meditation so, if they think that yoga is angerous it would make sense that praying is too. I hope I made sense. hugs

Dear Wendy,

Since you asked for any advice, I offer this:
Follow your heart of hearts…your Soul.

I am a minister and yoga teacher for many years.
I have had a few similar experiences; these are opportunities for us
to practice love, compassion and tolerance. Yoga is for all…
What a wonderful opportunity for you to articulate how you
feel about your yoga practice, as well as your faith.
I also suggest a lovely and important book by Deepak Chopra,
[I]The Third Jesus, The Christ We Cannot Ignore[/I], 2008.

Best with Blessings,
Rev. Nancy

I just came back meeting this Christian priest who teaches Holistic therapies including yoga. He also had gone through oppositions in the beginning.
http://www.clinicalmagnetology.org/photogallery.asp
Yoga is also like Galileo’s telescope.Its a tool for searching the truth.
That same old fear is still there within believers. To believe is easy, just stop searching.

I completely understand your feelings.

There are many who put on what my meditation teacher refers to as the “white shadow” - a pretense of spirituality for appearance sake.

I believe that part of the work in Yoga is to move toward taking full responsibility for our choices, for our living. And that is a path, not a destination (so I’m not claiming to BE there). But it can provide a quantum leap forward for consciousness to unburden others for that which we have manifested.

I completely agree with InnerAthlete’s views.

Only Jesus can forgive your sins

I love that movie. (the “Buddy Christ” pic above is from “Dogma”.) In its lampooning and bungling, it ends with the best answer I’ve seen humans put in God’s mouth to the question, “Why, all of this?” God (played by Alanis Morisette) leans forward and playfully tweaks the person’s nose. It was . . . the action of an elder to a beloved youngster. Rather than explaining life, she took the opportunity to share in it.

From my perspective, one thing that popular yoga can do to misalign your spirit is give answers where it’s better for you to sit with the mystery.

Yeah, Dogma is awesome.

I’m not Christian myself, but I thought that Yoga could help you get closer to whatever God you choose. And if you think about it, perhaps Krishna (or whoever: I’m not an expert in Hindu deities) is simply Jehovah by another name and face. I think God, being loving, comes to us all however we can comprehend it.

Both Yoga and Christianity teach many of the same important principles: compassion, mindfulness, peace, love… Anything other than those elements, such as things like the Trinity, Heaven vs. Hell, baptism, even Christ himself to an extent, is in a way only spiritual decoration. It’s the first set that is important. Let God manage the rest.

I’m going to play devil’s advocate here, by pointing out that yoga is closely associated with Hindu and Buddhist philosophies, beliefs, and practices. Yoga has only been able to gain wide acceptance in the west by distancing itself from the spiritual aspects, placing emphasis on the practice of asanas and pranayama. These certainly can be performed without any reference to religious or spiritual beliefs.

By associating with yoga, you may find that you come into contact with philosophies or beliefs that may conflict with some traditional Christian teachings, and you may find yourself challenging some of your beliefs. This is what frightens many Christians about yoga, but in my opinion, it is a healthy thing to do.

Absolutely! And this thread (and all the others like it that spring up from time to time) is a great illustration of that. In the Catholic church (my faith tradition), religion and spirituality are a relationship to the persons of God. The idea that God would masquerade as many persons (Krishna, etc.) and expect us to have a whole-hearted and healthy relationship with him is . . . absurd. Note, I say it is absurd within the context of my tradition, and fully expect that within other contexts it makes a lot of sense. Further, in order to have an I/Thou relationship going with God, there needs to be that ‘other’ somewhere in the universe, so to me the concept of a universal, unifying Self is very challenging. It causes me to test the aims of my own tradition, which is an excellent practice.

[QUOTE=Asuri;31322]I’m going to play devil’s advocate here, by pointing out that yoga is closely associated with Hindu and Buddhist philosophies…[/QUOTE]

And prayer is closely associated with (insert religion of choice here). But it doesn’t belong to (insert religion of choice here) nor does it make prayer “(insert religion of choice here)”.

[QUOTE=wendy.sutherland82;30528]Hi,

My name is Wendy and I was told by a Christian friend of mine that I shouldn’t do yoga because of the spiritual attachment to it. I have a blog (see signature) where I love to talk about yoga mats and yoga overall at times. I also share about running and other passionate topics.
A friend of mine has read my blog through my FB link and started attacking me about my articles.
My question is: Is yoga only for non-believers and what sort of spiritual attachments are there to it?
Any advice would do?[/QUOTE]

Hey Wendy~

I’m a Christian too and I’ve heard the same thing. Heck, I’ve heard that same thing with several things in my life… when I was very young some ill informed but well meaning christians told me to NOT get involved with the martial arts because they’re “connected” with “eastern mysticism / religion”. I’ve been in it now for over 31 years and it’s never posed one single spiritual problem or diverted me from my own walk with Jesus Christ even one step.

When I was in my early 20’s and decided to follow a long line of ancestors into the order of Freemasonry I was told by some ill informed / opinionated, yet well meaning Christians that I was getting involved in the “occult”. I’m now a 32nd degree Master Mason and am involved in several different orders as well. I’ve had nothing that detracted but only ADDED to my spiritual life and involvement with God.

Now, with Yoga. Is there a “Spiritual” side? Yes. I believe there is a great spiritual depth to Yoga available to anyone. Is it a prerequisite? Generally NO. Spirit doesn’t necessarily denote something of a “religion” or even having to do with God…anyone’s ‘[I]God[/I]’. We simply ARE a tripartite being: physical, mental and spiritual. No matter whom/what you believe created us, ‘spirit’ is simply a part of our experience. I believe that Yoga, like so many other worthwhile endeavors, addresses each of these three aspects of who we are. You can get into Yoga for the physical benefits that are to be had and you’ll not go unsatisfied! They’re there to be had for sure. You could get into Yoga for the mental challenge that’s there and be just as rewarded. Likewise some delve into Yoga for the spiritual ‘exercise’ that they recieve through it…and they are just as successful. The really great thing, no matter what aspect you enter it FOR…the other two often come along for the ride.

No matter what, whether it’s Yoga, Martial arts, esoteric orders…etc., that you’re getting into…
if you’re a follower of Jesus Christ, if you stay close to him in your heart, your studies and seek Him / serve Him with all of your love, devotion and passion and let nothing get in between you and God… neither Yoga, nor anything IN it could possibly pose any type of threat.
Remember what Paul wrote in [B][U]2nd Timothy 1:12[/U][/B]

for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

Meaning: you gave your heart and soul to HIM, nothing can undo or interrupt that.

[B][U]NOTE[/U][/B] (caveat) “IN MY OPINION”…there are some Guru that “package” their Yoga instruction / leadership with a strong dose of Hindu-ism or at least Vedic beliefs. This, [U]TO ME[/U], is [B][I]too much[/I][/B] and I feel encroaches on participating in another religion besides the one that has my heart…
Just be mindful of whom you follow and WHAT they’re offering or leading you toward. ( Bear in mind any mention of other Deities, that’d be a [I]giveaway[/I] )

Your Brother
John

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;31336]And prayer is closely associated with (insert religion of choice here). But it doesn’t belong to (insert religion of choice here) nor does it make prayer “(insert religion of choice here)”.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if it were that simple, but it isn’t. Maybe it would help to clarify the connection between Yoga and Buddhism. I use Buddhism because I know a little about it, and I don’t know much about Hinduism. You have to think in terms of both philosophy and practice.

Buddhists actually incorporate some yoga practices as part of their religious practice. But yoga was practiced long before Buddha arrived on the scene, was developed independently and to this day is practiced independent of any connection to Buddhism.

In terms of philosophy, Yoga philosophy stands completely on its own, and is not specifically Buddhist or Hindu or anything other than Yoga philosophy. But all Indian philosophies, including Buddhism, were developed during the same time period and contain many similar ideas. That doesn’t necessarily mean that these ideas conflict with Christianity. In fact learning about some of these concepts can often deepen one’s understanding of his/her own faith. The concepts of karma and reincarnation, which are central to yoga philosophy, come to mind.

Yoga philosophy does contain a concept of a God or Isvara (the Lord), and of devotion to the Lord or religious practice. For adherents to particular religions, the question becomes, does Isvara represent a specific God that is peculiar to Yoga, or is Isvara an archetype that can be applied universally to any religion. The safe solution is to treat Isvara as an archetype, but in my opinion, Isvara does represent a specific God. The Samkhya-Yoga philosophy includes many very specific ideas about the nature of Isvara, some similar to Christianity and some different. Significantly, Isvara is a single God, which is very different from the many gods and goddesses found in Vedic literature. In my opinion, the concept of Isvara is very similar to the Christian concept of the Father. If there is only one God, then they must be the same.

As I said before, yoga can be practiced purely for its health benefits, which does not require one to accept or reject any philosophy or belief. Even at this most basic level, however, one is not likely to succeed in yoga without following basic rules of personal conduct and ethical behavior found in the Yoga Sutras. These are completely in line with Christian beliefs. In yoga philosophy they are considered universal principles, as opposed to the commandments of God. But what is a commandment of God if not a universal principle? Part of this set of principles is devotion to Isvara, but Yoga philosophy doesn’t describe any devotional practices other than the repetition of the syllable OM. Most people would probably agree that following one’s own religious beliefs and practices satisfies this principle. The Yoga Sutras does include a reference to deity practices, but I don’t know anyone who does deity practices outside the context of Vajrayana Buddhism. And I can tell you that in Vajrayana practice, deities are not considered externally existent entities, they are considered to be mental constructs.

In my opinion, other yoga practices, especially meditation practices, are best understood in the context of yoga philosophy and Vedic spiritual practice. For those who have an open mind, these can be rewarding. Yoga is not dogmatic, and personal experience is key. One is encouraged to reject ideas, beliefs, or practices that are found to be false or do not conform with reason or personal experience.

a very thoughtful, thought provoking and [B][I]INTERESTING[/I][/B] perspective!!!

[U]Thank you Asuri[/U]

namaste
and God Bless

here is another perspective. if you go to youtube and type pat roberson yoga you can view a video of him and his views on yoga. He compares it to idoltry and says a christian should not practice yoga but that is his view point.

[QUOTE=theicefreezer;31764]here is another perspective. if you go to youtube and type pat roberson yoga you can view a video of him and his views on yoga. He compares it to idoltry and says a christian should not practice yoga but that is his view point.[/QUOTE]
I respect Mr. Robertson’s efforts to evangelize the faith…but
many of his “Facts” lack any substance. For instance, I also saw a YouTube of him saying that some martial arts are good but many employ a method of “Breathing in Demons to increase strength and give them powers…”

:rolleyes: sheeesh…