Sinus Condition

From Karen in Boston - I have a student (actually my sister) who comes to a class I teach weekly - she usually feels very good and relaxed after class - she has a lot of sinus congestion and also sees an acupuncturist at least once a month to help with her problem - during down dog her congestion releases - she always needs to blow her nose and sometimes needs to stop since the flow is so much - seems a few times on the day after yoga class - she gets intense sinus build up and flew like symptoms - we both wondered if this could be a release of some sort - the ill symptoms knock her out of commission for a few days.

Sinus conditions improve dramatically with the regular practice of jala neti. This is done by Snuffing water into the nostril one side at a time either from the palm or from a neti pot. The head should be parallel to the floor during the entire snuff procedure. Water is to be taken up gently with as little force as possible. Then allow the water to irrigate the lower nostril and sinus passages until it is ready for expulsion through the mouth. This may take several repeats; do not do more than 3 the first time, until the cavities are clear. For those who have heavy mucous and/or allergies, a pinch of sea salt is added.
Sinus reflex is connected to working area of C6 ? T3 that also opens the vault of the cranial cavity. If she wants to avoid the reaction in dog pose she could keep her head up and not try to press the chest in the direction of the feet. In the normal position especially when emphasis is placed on pressing the chest backward, the sinuses open.