Brachmacharya

From Chandra in Tokyo -
What does brachmacharya mean to you? I find that as a householder celibacy is not for me. I have read several different interpretation. What is the best way to understand this concept?

Brahmacharya is taken in many ways. I prefer the literal way as you comment. It can also be interpreted that Brahma - the creative force or the Creator for those religious is the teacher or master. So one can practice this by directing their attention to prana and finding the creative impulse within that. By staying connected to that impulse one’s creativity is increased. The creative impulse lives within the first chakra so awakening that is also conceived of as brahmacharya.
Another way is that it is the energy of creativity, hence the egg and sperm. For this the householder is taught to minimize sensuality and have sex monthly (this is rule for Hindu householder to be called celibate). For yogis it can mean complete celibacy or continence. In the later case, one engages in sex has a climax but does not ejaculate. It is said that realization is not possible without full celibacy. I suspect this is true. In this case one would look on all as brothers and sisters and not have a desire arising. This seems to be the case for such people as Ramana Maharshi, Anandamayi Ma, Ammachi, and Dalai Lama etc.
For others I would recommend that the main practice be to respect the force of life. To try to see that we all live in the infinite stream of life. What we do affects all those around us. So let us be good and do well. This is more universal teaching. A practice needs to be there as just an attitude is not enough. For me the practice is to stay in touch with my prana and watch what happens when I am overly sensual or desiring something that is not beneficial by so doing I can learn from the infinite stream.