Dealing With A Cold Body

I’m a 21 year old male in good physical condition. I run for about a half hour daily and do as a regular yoga routine. My problem is that I’m often cold, and find my hands and feet go numb very easily. Last year I got frostbite on my feet after being outside shoveling snow for about an hour, with boots and two pairs of socks. My doctor said that it may be Raunaud’s. It becomes a problem in the winter, but I find my circulation to be poor in general.

My question is, how do I deal with this besides the obvious (moving to a warmer climate, dressing warmly, not going outside). Any yoga postures good for circulation and warmth? How about Ayurvedic herbs? Breathing? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

I do no tknow what to do for Raunaud’s disease. In working with vata imbalance which is underling poor circulation, several items may help. Putting cayenne in socks is what one herbalist friend recommended. Also checking with Ayurvedic practitioner for recommendations, I do not study herbal use but many Ayurvedic books espeically by Dr. Lad or Dr. Svoboda will have remedies for this. In general you want to increase pitta (the heating principle), and more specifically agni the digestive fire. Pranayamas to do this must be learned in person not via reading about them. The yoga flow called Sun Salutes should help if you do a minimum of 12 daily. namaste mukunda

Thank you. I’ll look into it.

best wishes. mukunda

I used to have the same problem, am in pretty good shape too i run for about one hour each day. The solution to my problem was fast but required some sacrifice since at that time i was living over 12,000 feet in Cusco-Peru. After each morning run i took cold showers (they were very cold) i saw the results of doing this since the first day! even in days when i skipped my runs therefore the cold showers as well.

Claudia
www.rokapu.com

Indeed cold water works wonders in many situations. In general i find it most helpful for debility; excessive pitta; stuck emotions especially anger; frustration; and conditions of lowered immune response. I experienced while in Moscow that the healers i worked with there (Evalina Jdanova and her students) used it in many situations to great benefit. namaste mukunda

[quote=Doc Holliday;1499]I’m a 21 year old male in good physical condition. I run for about a half hour daily and do as a regular yoga routine. My problem is that I’m often cold, and find my hands and feet go numb very easily. Last year I got frostbite on my feet after being outside shoveling snow for about an hour, with boots and two pairs of socks. My doctor said that it may be Raunaud’s. It becomes a problem in the winter, but I find my circulation to be poor in general.

My question is, how do I deal with this besides the obvious (moving to a warmer climate, dressing warmly, not going outside). Any yoga postures good for circulation and warmth? How about Ayurvedic herbs? Breathing? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.[/quote]

Dear friend,

The info at this URL may be of help to you, though it might take some time to work and show results. Next winter, perhaps. Yoga and Circulation

Meanwhile, you are also invited to join my Yoga group: v where lots of friends conglomerate and we have lots more meaningful discussions.

Regards and all the best,

Allan

[QUOTE=Doc Holliday;1499]I'm a 21 year old male in good physical condition. I run for about a half hour daily and do as a regular yoga routine. My problem is that I'm often cold, and find my hands and feet go numb very easily. Last year I got frostbite on my feet after being outside shoveling snow for about an hour, with boots and two pairs of socks. My doctor said that it may be Raunaud's. It becomes a problem in the winter, but I find my circulation to be poor in general.

Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]

Try Lynga Mudra. It works excellent. Whenever a cold tries me I use it with
astonishing results.

Do not overpractise it though. Once I forgot myself in Lynga Mudra and sweated profoundly for hours.