Dealing with Foot Discomfort

Greetings! I’ve been teaching myself yoga and practicing alone on and off for about 3 months now and have noticed that when I try to do heroes pose that my feet don’t flatten correctly. My right foot will complain any way that I put it, either straight back like the form dictates (i think) or curved inward for comfort. My left foot hurts straight back because of a foot injury I sustained this summer, but I can curve it in towards my base chakra and it feels comfortable when I sit back on it. The right foot pain keeps me from going into the position and defeats the purpose of the attempt, usually causing frustration and tenseness. I tried to get the advice of an instructor, however it was from afar and the middle man didn’t get the message to him/her. I don’t have access to a studio with a yoga instructor in it at this time, and so that’s not an option.

Any suggestions on what I could do or requests for more information? Thanks!

My guess is you are doing or attempting to do Virasana flat on the floor with the sitting bones grounded into the mat between the ankle bones. This is appropriate only for the most supple of students AND requires that the inner thighs be lifting.

Please take height under the sitting bones instead. Take as much height as is necessary to sit comfortably. You may use a block, foam pads, telephone book, bolster, or folded blanket but make sure both sitting bones are supported.

If the above does not provide enough comfort then please reduce the plantar flexion of the ankles by placing a rolled blanket, mat, or mat remnant in the front of the ankle joint. You may get away with one roll spanning both frontal ankles or you may have to resort to two separate rolls.

gordon

Gordon, thank you for your reply!

I’m not flexible enough to ground my sitting bones. I usually have me feet right under me. The pain occurs when I put my weight backward and sit up straight. I’ve used my ankles for support, but figured that might be adding to the problem so I’ve also used pillows. It feels odd because one foot can naturally bend but the other experiences pain in any position I put it.

I’ll try with a roll under my ankles and see how that works. It seems the most logical solution. That also reminded me that I forgot to mention then I’m flat footed. I don’t know if this contributes to the issue at all, but perhaps important.

I see that you are from Seattle - do you teach in a studio? Thanks again for your prompt reply.

You’re welcome.

Obviously when the legs are directly under the student this is a different pose (Vajrasana) rather than Virasana. If it is the latter posture you are working toward, DO take height under the sitting bones while keeping the knees as close together as possible and the feet APART. The roll(s) under the front of the ankle will certainly help.

Being flat-footed should not prohibit you from accessing these poses.

I teach in Bellevue at Yoga Centers under the direction of my teacher Aadil Palkhivala. Three classes per week - until I can muster the resources to open a Purna Yoga™ studio in Seattle.

gordon

Ah I didn’t actually realize there was a difference in appellation between Vajrasana and Virasana. Good to know. I’ve been eventually working towards Virasana and so i suppose I won’t practice Vajrasana anymore and just do sitting elevation and ankle rolls with my feet apart.

I’m originally from the Olympic Peninsula and this summer I might be returning, having finished college, to the Seattle area. Incidentally, Bellevue is one of my top choices for residency because of the programming jobs available nearby. My plan has always been to start attending a yoga studio once I settle in to an apartment or some such and a job. If I’m in the area, I’ll take Yoga Centers under consideration.

I’ll let you know here how these modifications work for Virasana. It’s such a relaxing pose and feels so wonderful on my knees, which I’ve had a small amount of pain with in the past.

Namaste!

As a humorous side note, I just googled Namaste for a refresher before using it and found an article written by your teacher about the meaning of the word. Small world it seems!