Difference between Addiction and Love

Hi Friends,

Day before yesterday while contemplating about yoga, this question came to my mind. Hope you will be able to answer it.

What is the difference between Love and Addiction. By Love I mean pure and divine love of Radha and Meera towards Lord Krishna. In love also we cant live without the object of love. In addiction also we always want to be with/enjoy the object of addiction. Then how to differentiate between two??

Thanks
yb23

Humans have the power of choice. Taking hindu philosophy out of the equation, the place to begin is not with the other person (or object) but with yourself. The most powerful and profound change you can have on the other person and the relationship comes when your able to change the way inside of yourself when your partner exhibits behavior that you may not care for.

I think the difference is in how much you need one or the other. Addiction seems more like a compulsive need whereas love is a choice to want to be with someone knowing you don’t have to.

Addiction is a form of Raga, extrapolated from the Five Kleshas in the sutras. It is the highest form of attachment. It is not love. It is a craving to repeat an experience. Remember, it is the feeling being sought, not the conduit.

Love is not an attachment. Nor is it an aversion. It is a healthy level of caring, absent of attachment, aversion or cording.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;87551]
Love is not an attachment. Nor is it an aversion. It is a healthy level of caring, absent of attachment, aversion or cording.[/QUOTE]

This is perfect!

[QUOTE=Natalisiya;87557]This is perfect![/QUOTE]

Agreed!