Drawings of Sequences for Home Practice

Hi. New member here. Started yoga last Summer, and really enjoying many benefits, especially just about reversing my asthma completely. By way of background I went to 90 minute classes (vinyassa, forrest, anusara, hatha, iyengar) 6 days/week for about 6 months, then 3 days/week for 2 months so I could reincorporate cardio and strength training, and have been doing home practice for 1 month. For most of the month I used myyogaonline but then recently started using Bruce Bowditch’s book that has drawings with sequences. This is enjoyable as I can go at my own pace (whether I want a fast and aerobic approach, or a slow and meditative approach with long holds). It allows me to concentrate on breathing, balance, muscle energy and internal dynamics. This is a lead in to my question.

Are there any websites with drawings of sequences for home practice? Eoin Finn has one such example on his website (go to downloads, then look for “feb 26 yoga class - here is a PDF of the routine”).

I have not found many of these types of resources, and would appreciate your help. As an analogy, for musicians learning a new piece there are “charts” showing the chords (analogy is asanas) and arrangements (analogy is sequences). However, I have only found the Bruce Bowditch book for a similar resource with yoga and am wondering if there is something. I would think there could be an online yoga community where people use something like “yoga stickmen” to create and share sequences/workouts for various styles, lengths, focuses, etc.

I appreciate your help :slight_smile:

Another analogy would be like with learning Kung Fu, the individual moves would be akin to the asanas, and the routine/sequence would be like the katas. The benefit of learning katas is you can do a continuous series of moves for a good amount of time straight through. So in my case I am looking for the equivalent with yoga, in terms of resources showing drawings of asanas linked together into a routine which would help me with my home practice. Appreciate any help you can offer, thanks

Hello Dave,

I’m sorry to be of little help here but I do not look for or know of resources for self-sequencing. Sequencing is a science I am continually learning from my teacher, in my seventh year of direct study.

Gordon

I guess thats one of the reasons I am training to be a yoga teacher, to learn how to construct my own sequences, and share yoga with others.

Is learning to teach an option for you at this stage?

[QUOTE=YogaBija;29315]I guess thats one of the reasons I am training to be a yoga teacher, to learn how to construct my own sequences, and share yoga with others.

Is learning to teach an option for you at this stage?[/QUOTE]

I have only been practicing about 9 months. Based on the excellent teachers I have taken class from, there is no way I would feel qualified to teach until I was much further along.

Thinking about this, it really can’t be that hard. I have taught MBA level finance in the past. The key was creating balanced lesson plans that incorporated various components (textbook chapters, current articles, interactive exercises, homework problems, integrating points across topics). It took me a few months to create these finance lesson plans, and I was able to consult with other instructors. The same sort of thing should be possible with yoga. The components being standing poses, twists, bends, inversions, etc, all with a particular theme for the workout/lesson.

While I love going to class, it was a really tough thing with my schedule, and I get a lot out of home practice (at this point, though no way could do it until about a month ago). I really hope someone creates an “exchange” where teachers could post their lesson plans/class sequences, and I would definitely benefit from accessing those for my home practice. Just seems like such a basic idea…that either it must be way out of line to think of it, or it is a “gap” in the currently available yoga resources. My 2 cents.

Howdy,

I remember once a teacher gave out stick-figure drawings of part of her class and I found that really useful long after the classes ended. I can't think of an exchange-type website (this'd be the closest, I guess), but that sort of thing would be a great resource.

There are stick-figure pics at
http://www.yogawithamey.com/stickfigures.html

and some good sequences at

http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/864

As for self-sequencing, it's probably not quite what you're after, but I found the section in "Yoga for Dummies" on designing a yoga practice really useful, although not quite stick figures. There's also a similar thing, with much more detail, in "The Heart of Yoga", the Yoga Book Club book at the moment.

I also like this page for it’s clear-headed approach to home practice: http://www.yogawithamey.com/homepractice.html

Dave,

Since you seem to favor analogy I’ll offer up something additional along those lines.

Do you believe I could teach an MBA level finance class? Or, put another way, what is YOUR preparatory background to understand AND convey those concepts?

Unlike teaching a series of chords, teaching yoga has a particular effect depending on a variety of variables (so named, as you know, because they vary). These include but are not limited to the moment, the hour, the week, the month, the year, the lifetimes of the student doing them. As moods and flexibilities and wellness, and system functions fluctuate in that time continuum I outlined above so too would an appropriate sequence (for that person).

From your brief writings I can tell you are well rooted in the mental force - the force of reason, rationality, sense, logic. And that’s fine (so am I). However that is not the only realm in yoga and frankly there is no one answer in yoga. A suit off the rack may be passable. A suit well-tailored is effective.

Yogajournal has a sequence builder with an option to print the sequence when you are done:
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/sequence_builder

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;29339]Dave,

Since you seem to favor analogy I’ll offer up something additional along those lines.

Do you believe I could teach an MBA level finance class? Or, put another way, what is YOUR preparatory background to understand AND convey those concepts?

Unlike teaching a series of chords, teaching yoga has a particular effect depending on a variety of variables (so named, as you know, because they vary). These include but are not limited to the moment, the hour, the week, the month, the year, the lifetimes of the student doing them. As moods and flexibilities and wellness, and system functions fluctuate in that time continuum I outlined above so too would an appropriate sequence (for that person).

From your brief writings I can tell you are well rooted in the mental force - the force of reason, rationality, sense, logic. And that’s fine (so am I). However that is not the only realm in yoga and frankly there is no one answer in yoga. A suit off the rack may be passable. A suit well-tailored is effective.[/QUOTE]

…and one nice thing about yoga is to help us “analytic” types get out of our heads :slight_smile: Seriously, what I find helpful about having the sequences drawn out ahead of time (thus my question on this thread) in home practice is I don’t have to “think” about it, which helps me wind down the mental gymnastics, and the result is very peaceful and freeing. (to answer your separate question, my background with finance is extensive, and very much necessary to being able to create good lesson plans with that, which is why I thought that yoga teachers who are likewise experienced could share great lesson plans with the rest of us)

Hello financial guitarist,

I really like your analogy of chords (asana) and score (vinyasa). A great composer (yoga teacher) can make some wonderful series for the students (audience). It’s even better when the composer is also the conductor because then you get special music made for a particular audience and their musical fancy. The conductor will also correct any false notes. :slight_smile:

I think you may have partly answered your own question. You have some background in asana and you have found a book that you like. So you have the option to continue with the practices that you are doing right now. In my personal practice, I find that it takes months to “master” a certain sequence. I have practiced one sequence for 2 years (almost daily), and am still discovering its essence. The other thing you could do is to improvise. Get on to your mat, get in tune with your breath and let one asana flow harmoniously from the other. Just like music.

And you are right that there are few published sequences. But you can find some if you look around. Iyengar has some sequences in the back of the “Light on Yoga” book, the Sivananda people have 12 asanas, Mukunda Stiles has a joint freeing series (21 movements), one series (24 asanas within the normal joint range of motion) and 10 vinyasas (from Krishnamacharya) in his books. I consider myself blessed that “conductors” taught me how to interpret the “score” and turn it into music. But at the end of the day, it’s always up to the musician himself, guided by his Muse!

Hi Dave.

I’ll help you, you help me. I’ll write you a sequence (which I’ve basically already done in PM) and you…

…please prepare for me a 30-page business plan for my business? After all, we both acknowledge you are an expert in the business field, Kelley grad that you are. Better yet, can you tell me how to play Classical Gas please?

I want a BP that will bring me investors immediately- who will not even think about getting behind the project - and we need to be revenue producing (in the black) within the first year. Additionally I’d like there to be several revenue streams and a built-in marketing plan, not to mention a very sound exit strategy

Can you draw that up for me please. Or perhaps direct me to a site where someone else will draw it up for me so it’s easy for me to do.

Tongue in cheek, of course :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;29366]Hi Dave.

I’ll help you, you help me. I’ll write you a sequence (which I’ve basically already done in PM) and you…

…please prepare for me a 30-page business plan for my business? After all, we both acknowledge you are an expert in the business field, Kelley grad that you are. Better yet, can you tell me how to play Classical Gas please?

I want a BP that will bring me investors immediately- who will not even think about getting behind the project - and we need to be revenue producing (in the black) within the first year. Additionally I’d like there to be several revenue streams and a built-in marketing plan, not to mention a very sound exit strategy

Can you draw that up for me please. Or perhaps direct me to a site where someone else will draw it up for me so it’s easy for me to do.

Tongue in cheek, of course :-)[/QUOTE]

Sure, I can do it, the only issue is the guys with money (the banks) seem to have too good of a thing going now where they can borrow from the Federal Reserve at close to 0% and then buy Treasury Bonds at a risk free spread. Along those lines, they will give us half a percent on a CD if we give them our money, but if we need a loan they charge 9%. This sort of thing happened last in the early 1990’s, but this time it’s even more upside down. I’m putting together a couple businesses, and doing it via “bootstrap” meaning everyone is putting their time in free of charge to get things up and running because they believe in the business plan. So, my encouragement is you can get entrepreneurial employees/staff to help with a startup if they like the plan, but the banks have not normalized yet. They will likely next year. More good news, by that time I can have shown you how to play Classical Gas on the guitar :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Willem;29362]Hello financial guitarist,

I really like your analogy of chords (asana) and score (vinyasa). A great composer (yoga teacher) can make some wonderful series for the students (audience). It’s even better when the composer is also the conductor because then you get special music made for a particular audience and their musical fancy. The conductor will also correct any false notes. :slight_smile:

I think you may have partly answered your own question. You have some background in asana and you have found a book that you like. So you have the option to continue with the practices that you are doing right now. In my personal practice, I find that it takes months to “master” a certain sequence. I have practiced one sequence for 2 years (almost daily), and am still discovering its essence. The other thing you could do is to improvise. Get on to your mat, get in tune with your breath and let one asana flow harmoniously from the other. Just like music.

And you are right that there are few published sequences. But you can find some if you look around. Iyengar has some sequences in the back of the “Light on Yoga” book, the Sivananda people have 12 asanas, Mukunda Stiles has a joint freeing series (21 movements), one series (24 asanas within the normal joint range of motion) and 10 vinyasas (from Krishnamacharya) in his books. I consider myself blessed that “conductors” taught me how to interpret the “score” and turn it into music. But at the end of the day, it’s always up to the musician himself, guided by his Muse![/QUOTE]

The Mukunda Stiles series’ and vinyasas sound great. Where are these available?

Also, really good news, I found another book that has sequences for home practice: Melina Meza’s “Art of Sequencing.” The irony is she mentioned similar reasons as to searching for something like this and creating it because it did not exist, as well as the analogies about putting together chords into songs similar to putting asanas linked together into sequences. I am really happy to have found this, and also appreciate everyone’s encouragement here on this forum

Hello guitarz_dave,

This is the [COLOR=purple][FONT=Verdana]joint freeing series. This series and the 24 asana series have been [/FONT][/COLOR]published in Mukunda Stiles’ book “Structural Yoga Therapy, adapting to the individual”. The 10 vinyasas can be found in “Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy”.

Yoga sequences for beginners :
Standing Postures
Tadasana – Mountain Pose
Vrikshasana (1) – Tree Pose
Trikonasana – Triangle Pose
Uttanasana – Hand to Foot Pose
Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose

Lie down and rest for a few minutes in Shavasana, the Corpse

Sitting Postures
Janu Sirshasana – Head to One Knee Pose
Paschimottanasana - Head to Knees Pose
Ushtrasana – Camel Pose
Marichyasana - Sage Marichi Twist Pose.
Ardha Matsyendrasna? – Half Lord of the Fish Pose

Lie back for a few minutes and rest in Shavasana, the Corpse Pose

Supine Postures
Viparitakarani – Inverted Leg Stretch Pose
Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand
Halasana – Plough Pose

Recline and rest for a minute or two in Shavasana, the Corpse Pose

Prone postures
Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose
Dhanurasana – Bow Pose
Salabhasana – Locust Pose

Rest for a few minutes in Shavasana, the Corpse Pose

Not sure about a “stick man” site, but if your looking for a good book, Martin Kirk has a great book out called Hatha Yoga Illustrated. At the back of the book there are several sequence examples you can use in your daily practice. The book is on my side table all the time and it has really valuable information to get you in and out of poses safely…by the way Martin is a certified senior Anusara Teacher!

[QUOTE=guitarz_dave;29323]I have only been practicing about 9 months. Based on the excellent teachers I have taken class from, there is no way I would feel qualified to teach until I was much further along.
[/QUOTE]

I think we may have mis-understood each other, I wasn’t asking if you would feel able to teach, I was asking if you felt that learning how to teach yoga was a possibility.

However, as you have said 9 months of yoga, I would imgine that your correct in not being ready. I was only ready after 6 years of yoga practice with 5.5 years of personal home practice in addition. I know everyone is different.

I wish you the best with your yoga journey, every day I feel like I have just started :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=guitarz_dave;29353]…and one nice thing about yoga is to help us “analytic” types get out of our heads :slight_smile: Seriously, what I find helpful about having the sequences drawn out ahead of time (thus my question on this thread) in home practice is I don’t have to “think” about it, which helps me wind down the mental gymnastics, and the result is very peaceful and freeing. (to answer your separate question, my background with finance is extensive, and very much necessary to being able to create good lesson plans with that, which is why I thought that yoga teachers who are likewise experienced could share great lesson plans with the rest of us)[/QUOTE]

Spot on! :slight_smile:

Even for experience person most challenging things about doing yoga at home is getting motivated and figuring out how to sequence poses.

Those who have attended classes may have noticed that there are certain classic sequences that teachers use repeatedly. There are couples of poses that naturally flow together.

Here are some ideas for how to use sequences to create a full yoga experience,
so when you’ve psyched yourself up to do some yoga, you’ll be ready to go.

1. Find a comprehensive listing of yoga poses
    Find a resource/book which provides detailed, anatomical drawings of every common pose. You should divides these poses into the sections of standing, sitting, kneeling, supine, prone and arm support poses.

2. Set your intention
    What is your goal for following this sequence?

• Do you suffer from lower back pain?
  • Are you focusing on poses that will create space in the hip-flexors, such as reclining bound angle pose.
  1. Know how much time you have
    You need to be realistic because the number of poses you choose is going to be determined by how much time you will devote.

2. Every pose needs a counter-pose
    A counter-pose either stretches your spine in the opposite direction of the previous pose or returns your spine to a neutral position.

You need to make sure that the spine is neutralized after every pose.

1. Write it down
    It is always good idea to create your sequence in a notebook. Because this allows you to clearly follow your sequence without interruption.