Expiring classes - a most despicable practice

I have lost a large number of classes over the years due to the practice of putting an expiration date on the classes. I paid the money, but if I don’t use the classes by a certain time, I am out of luck. Sure, some studios are flexible, but I think as students we should request that this business practice end. I should explain thatthereason I lose classes is that I don’t tie myself to one studio.

If you talk to students, this issue is one that has left a bad impression with a lot of regular and former students.

Don’t think that I have not heard every defense for this practice. Let me just tell you that none of them hold water.

I find it more than a little bit ironic that the only studio that I have come across that does not have classes that expire is Corepower yoga. Yes, here we have a large corporate yoga studio that really gets it. I find it interesting that so many studio owners talk about good karma and love, but they continue this most unfair and unkind business practice. If you love me so much, why are you ripping me off?

You are not being ripped off! Most studios have a “use by” date on any package deals this is perfectly reasonable. As long as the use by date is clear you are not being hard done by…just use the classes within the time limit given.

Almost any kind of special offer (coupons for example) have use by dates…

In an ideal world, yes…karma, love and a never expiring yoga package. Realistically, a studio owner has to pay mortgage/rent, heat, electricity, water, teachers and supply props. Often times owners offer ridiculously low packages to get students in. But they still have to pay the teacher and the rest of the above mentioned. Expiration dates will keep the student at that studio so they can get a good sampling of classes, teachers and overall environment.

I honestly see nothing wrong with expiration dates. It’s good business practice. The student benefits by getting, at times, sizeable discounts and thus should honor the owners generosity by using it by the expiration date. Owners often lose money with certain packages/deals, but is an effective way to get people into the studio.

I’m not a studio owner, just a teacher. I know the time, money and effort the owner of the studio I teach at puts into creating a wonderfully healing place. She is generous with donations when asked and will always work out payments with students. She doesn’t make a ton of money, but that is not her intention. She’s a wonderful person to work with.

Just where is your responsibility in the matter? I don’t feel it in the post. It sounds blaming and what we’ve learned from the practice is that blaming prevents our own empowerment, as someone else is always responsible for our “lot in life”.

If you don’t care to attend in a timely fashion relative to your class pass then drop-in and pay-as-you-go instead. Problem solved.

When I, as a student, choose NOT to drop-in (because I want a better deal) then I’ve agreed to the terms of that deal. An expiration on a class pass is a very common policy and when I neglect to attend in a timely fashion (because I’ve agreed to the policy by purchasing AND am aware it exists) then it is I who am ripping me off, not the studio.

I would hate to think that yoga is all about money. For some I’m sure it is.

Don’t think that I have not heard every defense for this practice. Let me just tell you that none of them hold water.

Would you mind elaborating?

Some buy a ten class pass for the month ,I would use that up in a week …
My studio has three month deal unlimited for 150 add private lesson deal I get ,10 for 300
Total 450 , add y.t.t. In to that and it is still a deal imho I go to about a hundred classes in the three months that makes per class cost very reasonable imho
Cheers

Some studios will decide that their numbers work better by having passes expire. Maybe they’re right, or maybe they are losing more business than they gain with that policy. But, it’s their business and they can set the terms they want. Hardly despicable, unless they didn’t tell you up front. (Which is probably not legal.)

It’s simple, if passes expire and that is a problem for you, don’t buy them. Pay a little more for drop in if that’s what you want to do. I’d also prefer if classes didn’t expire as that generally doesn’t work for me. So I simply don’t buy series or expiring passes. If I feel the drop in rate is out of line, probably they lose my business completely.

“There is a sucker born every minute” PT Barnum

Because a practice is commonly accepted does not make it right. Gift cards that expire are just as big of a rip-off. Next thing you know, we will be issued currency that expires… Better buy something quick before your dollar, euro, peso, etc. expires.

I am all for yoga shop owners to keep their lights on and pay their bills, but why continue this practice that is clearly unfriendly to the student? How about passes that are not so deeply discounted that never expire.

I am just pointing out a common business practice that should end.

Want happy customers, non-expiring yoga passes are a good start.

If expiring classes is a “most despicable” practice of studio owner, the cause must be due to the “most irresponsible” for not sticking to schedule, or “most greedy” grabbing cheap package by the student.

A good student is one who make progress through consistent and diligent practice, which include attending class on a regular basis, s/he will have the least worry about unable to utilize purchased package. If student’s inability to utilize the purchased package was due to unforeseen circumstances, most studio do make exceptions on compassionate ground.

Anything in nature has an expiry date, why not yoga packages?

Femmanus,
I’m trying to understand where you are coming from and honestly, I can’t. Also can’t figure out why you posted the P.T. Barnum quote. Seems unnecessary.

Gordon asked a good question, “Where is your responsibility?” Your answer?

So, you feel you should be able to purchase a package that the studio owner or yoga teacher is likely losing money on AND you feel you should be able to use it at your convenience? Again, where is your responsibility? Can’t you think of the studio offering “good deals” as their way of giving back to the student(s). And with that mindset, should you not adhere to the terms? It is just plain and simple being respectful.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion on this, but if you want to take advantage of the kindness shown by the studio, then you must respect the conditions.

[QUOTE=antaraayaah;82604]If expiring classes is a “most despicable” practice of studio owner, the cause must be due to the “most irresponsible” for not sticking to schedule, or “most greedy” grabbing cheap package by the student.

A good student is one who make progress through consistent and diligent practice, which include attending class on a regular basis, s/he will have the least worry about unable to utilize purchased package. If student’s inability to utilize the purchased package was due to unforeseen circumstances, most studio do make exceptions on compassionate ground.

Anything in nature has an expiry date, why not yoga packages?[/QUOTE]
I agree
Om shanti

Lotus girl,

I am glad that you are at least trying to understand another point of view.

Do you think the average student has any idea of whether or not the pricing allows the studio to break even or not??? If I buy something and a good or service is promised, I expect to receive that good or service. The expiration date is an artificial enticement to redeem that service during a limited-period of time. Sure, it is common-place. However, I am trying to point out that it is not consumer-friendly. It does not build loyalty, quite the opposite.

Why don’t I just buy a drop-in every time? Well, I frequently do buy drop-in passes and they are often exorbitantly-priced.

Why do I buy passes and then don’t redeem them? Work responsibilities, usually travel is what gets in the way for me personally. So I find myself buying drop-in passes in every city I visit while my regular passes expire at home. Of course, there are plenty of other valid reasons, illness, family issues, injury, etc. Sure, some studios work with me. However, others have not.

How about one price for everyone and build the loyalty through excellent teaching?

There are other methods of promotion that studios can use to build loyalty and increase class size without resorting to the expiring class practice.

Here is a thought for studio owners - during your slow time of the year (starting about now for many of you). Send an e-mail to those students with expired passes. Offer the chance to redeem their expired passes for a nominal fee.

Another thought, ask your students about their experiences with expired passes. If you think I am the lone yogi that is annoyed with expiring passes, you any not in touch with your patrons.

I do appreciate your replies and your thoughts, I mean no disrespect to any of you personally. I do suggest that you take this issue seriously if you wish to build goodwill with your patrons.

Unfriendly to the student? We can’t just take and take and take like it’s our birthright.

And you’re comparing the transmission of a subtle science designed to evolve human beings to shopping using a gift card?

And this seems like a reasonable parallel??

Unfriendly to the student? YES

Take and take and take… Are you kidding me? Who is taking and who is giving in this example? If I purchase 50 passes for $750 and due to travel and whatnot, I am only able to redeem 10 classes. Therefore, I end up paying $75 per class - tell me who it taking and who is giving??? Does that sound friendly to the student? Would you feel good about such a transaction? Perhaps, not, but that is the kind of thing I am talking about, not 1 or 2 expired classes or some ludicrously cheap passes offered during the summer months for a very limited time.

I am not the only one that feels this way…

if you know you have to travel and may not be able to use a special offer in the time given…do not purchase the offer…it is not the studios fault that you could not attend classes in the given time…I assume they informed you of the time limit!
It is fair and good to the students to offer special prices and totally reasonable to set limits on the special offers.
Any kind of special offers you come across from food coupons to fitness class to beauty treatments all have time limits…why should you be different?

Femmanus,

For the many years I’ve been teaching in 2 different locations, I have never run into the problem of students being upset over expiring classes. My students, and the students in general, know what is expected of them when purchasing. They are grateful that the owner has offered classes at a discount rate. I’ve had many who were not able to take full advantage of the package deal they purchased, and they take full responsibility. They smile and say, “as wonderful as this place is and for all they (and you) do, consider it my contribution.” I honestly don’t think I, as a teacher, am alone in my experience!

You say the best way to promote is to have good teaching (good teachers) and that’s fine. But how can you let the ‘world’ know you have such teachers? Do you realize how long it takes to build up a student base? It takes years. Believe me, I know. Many of my current students were brought in, initially, through local deals offered. Once they walk in the door, most of them stay. But it is getting them in the door that’s difficult. Some teachers, if teaching is their only livelihood, can’t wait years. And many leave to go to other places like a gym or YMCA where they are guaranteed a student base. But what is lost is the true teachings of yoga. Most in a gym don’t want yoga. They want asana. And for some students and teachers, that’s fine.

And meaning no disrespect, what are YOU giving in this? You say studio owners/teachers ‘take, take and take.’ And what exactly are they taking? Teachers are giving their time, patience, knowledge, and guidance. Studio owners are giving students a place that is healing, comfortable, safe and occasionally great deals. Do you realize how little teachers get paid? Not much, especially in small studio’s. It is a win-win for all as I see it.

You prefer to not pay as you go since it is quite expensive. Yes it is. But that is YOUR trade-off for not fully using a bought package. Again, no disrespect, but it is your responsibility and decision on what you purchase and how you use it. If a teacher is good, you get back something that is priceless. And what $ value can you place on that?

if you know you have to travel and may not be able to use a special offer in the time given......do not purchase the offer......it is not the studios fault that you could not attend classes in the given time......I assume they informed you of the time limit!

You assume that I knew that I would be traveling quite a bit when I purchased the pass. I did not. Or clearly, I would not have bought the pass.

And meaning no disrespect, what are YOU giving in this? You say studio owners/teachers 'take, take and take.' And what exactly are they taking? 

Lotusgirl,

Please read the thread. Inner Athlete inferred that I “take, take, and take.” I responded with a question. Who is doing the taking at $75 per class?

I am sure that you have a much more reasonable position when it comes to passes and therefore you have a more satisfied clientele.

I am probably wasting my time because the studio owners that really care about how their students feel are responding in a kind and responsible and manner when passes expire. The jerks will still be jerks.

Clearly, the studio owners that bothered to reply to my complaint are NOT jerks. They are caring individuals that provide a valuable service.

Please forgive me for my rant. I was upset with a minority, not the majority of studio owners.

We have the expiration on class packages at our studio, but we don’t enforce it. If someone comes in and says they had to travel, an injury, whatever, we extend the package as we feel they paid for the classes. With that said, why not make an additional donation for the heat or cooling energy, cleaning person, something for the remodel of the space, the new floor, the window cleaning (if storefront, like us), props and other materials, general maintenance, lest I forgo the paying of teachers, and they pay for any training they need; workshops etc, the computer, printer, paper, lights, towel laundry, cleaning essentials like brooms, duster, steam cleaner, and I’ll leave out the time we invest for scheduling and maintenance of client relationships; i.e. answering phone calls etc …