Fat Yogis

Hi Everyone,

Its my first time here, but i am not new to Yoga. I have been practicing for a long time, about 6 years now. I have achieved many great things with the help of yoga however i am still struggling with my weight.

In the peak of my training when i was very disciplined i managed to lose about 30 lbs and was in incredible shape. At the current moment I am about 215 lbs - 5’10" Male - kinda muscular-ish build. I have tried alot to lose the weight again, but its really tough. I do a fair amount excercise, like jump rope, jogging etc. I also practice hot yoga one day a week (yes, i know not enuf) but i am also very flexible and can do come crazy asanas like King Pigeon, Full Lotus etc.

I am wondering what you all think about over weight Yogis. I mean, I can kick but in most Yoga classes. Granted Ashtanga Vinyasa Yogi’s put me to shame, but im no slouch either (and i realise its not a contest). Last summer I did a 500 hour Teacher Training progam but never followed through with teaching partly b.c most Yogis are paper thin and I always felt i would have no credibility as an overwieght yogi.

So with all that said, what do you think. Can yogis be faties also?

I suppose so.

Yoga doesnt burn a particularly big amount of calories so if you are eating too much and/or not being generally active enough to achieve a negative energy balance then you will not lose weight- fact.

There is no particular reason why yogis should be thin but im sure it cant be helpful for certain poses? The other thing is a lot of yogis probably eat a very good diet and are quite outdoorsy anyway so they are likely to be a good weight anyway.

I’m pretty new to yoga (3 months); but isn’t the theory behind yoga to be accepting of everyone and especially yourself?

I do love yoga but also know that I have miles to go to be able to do all the asanas but I keep going to practice…I’m up to 4 times a week and probably going to add more. There are times in class when I feel inferior, whether it be my age, my lack of ability, my body, etc. etc. (and yes I know that’s really not the point) but I have to believe and tell myself that yoga is accepting of all and that is the point.

Weight may be reflecting an increase in Kapha Dosha. Please do a search of this web site for more information. Recommened practice is to build up to 20 minutes of Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) done continuously. Gradually you can increase your speed and endurance. Mukunda has recommended a book written by one of his students. You can find info at:
http://www.peacefulweightloss.com/index.php/home/

Accepting who we are is not complacency, but is embodiment of our highest potential through choices which lead us in the direction we wish to go.

Namaste,
Chandra

I think if youre confident in your knowledge and teaching ability, theres no reason you cant be a practitioner and an instructor. I remember a friend of mine saying that the best class shed ever taken was given by an overweight instructor.

Many people think yoga is only for those who are already thin and flexible, so if they have a different body type, they dont even try. I think youd be doing the community a favor by being a kick-ass overweight instructor. You might draw students who were previously intimidated by leaner instructors, while demonstrating that yoga is indeed for everyone.

Don’t worry about looking the part. I know teachers of all size and shape that are incredible. If you love what you are doing and are good at teaching, then be confident! There are tons of people who never attend yoga classes because they have the idea that they aren’t thin or flexible or strong enough. You can do a lot of good by showing the world that you can still be a great yoga practitioner or teacher regardless of how you look!

I’m about the same height and weight and don’t think of myself as fat–just slightly pudgy–and if I suck my gut in, I look perfectly slim. I also lost almost 30 pounds (to get to 215).

How trim would you like to be? I think I would be just right for my build at 205.

[QUOTE=Loafer;2045]So with all that said, what do you think. Can yogis be faties also?[/QUOTE]
It depends :slight_smile: Are you healthy? Are you content? Or are you controlled by what and how much you eat?

Yoga isn’t about flexibility only. Actually, it isn’t [U]at all [/U]about flexibility. In my understanding, it is about liberation through

• detachment (from self, from desire, from food :wink: )
  • discipline - mental and physical
  • non-violence - towards yourself included
  • purification (so diet once again has a role)
    among other things.

I think if one keeps these things in mind and applies them in practice, it shows through no matter what weight they are (or how flexible they are for that matter).

[QUOTE=Chandra;2146]Accepting who we are is not complacency, but is embodiment of our highest potential through choices which lead us in the direction we wish to go.[/QUOTE]
What a great saying Chandra, very wise :cool:

Wow, didn’t realise the OP asked the question 5 years ago… Hopefully, he resolved it by now :slight_smile:

Fat could be very usefull if you are in the midle of the sea and a great white come to eat your butt.

Hi Loafer,
When I really started getting deeper into yoga about 2 years ago, I lost about 20 lbs over a space of 10 months. Mind you I do hot yoga (not Bikram) and I was biking 5km each way to my studio. So I was constantly drinking water, but I discovered something else while I was in that phase: the yoga was starting to affect my appetite, I was not as hungry as I used to be, I was starting to eat less and that was having an effect on my metabolism.
Yoga affects each person differently and each body differently I’m sure, I think it’s a question of being in tune to your own body and how it reacts over time.

Your students would get an additional lesson of open-mindedness from you. Be sure to do shoulderstands for thyroid issues as well as Pranayama, like kapalabhati and exercises to increase the agni, the digestive fire would be good and eating well at appropriate times : mostly around noon, I believe is the height of agni. Whatever, I agree with all those who say that as long as you are following the yogic path you are a yogi despite maya, or illusion in this world.

As long as your eating habits dont finally get in your way.by making your blood contain so polluted with tamas.So becarefull with over eating.

[QUOTE=Loafer;2045]

I am wondering what you all think about over weight Yogis. I mean, I can kick but in most Yoga classes. Granted Ashtanga Vinyasa Yogi’s put me to shame, but im no slouch either (and i realise its not a contest). Last summer I did a 500 hour Teacher Training progam but never followed through with teaching partly b.c most Yogis are paper thin and I always felt i would have no credibility as an overwieght yogi.

So with all that said, what do you think. Can yogis be faties also?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum!

Lat me say first that yoga is not about a but licking:) (It takes years to realize that)

Second, check out all these indian yoga swamis:) they all very thick:)

If you want to lose weight - monitor your diet and your thoughts about the food.

Namaste,

Im glad yoga is not about licking but , bit of a relief !

Lat me say first that yoga is not about a but licking (It takes years to realize that)

I love your posts, CityMonk.

I am overweight. I am a female, 168cms, weighing in at 92 kilograms.

The excess weight I carry makes it very difficult for me to do a lot of postures and puts extra strain on my joints (already prone to osteo-arthritis).

Yoga does not assist in losing weight. What it [B]does[/B] do, is to distribute your weight evenly. Personally, I would not recommend doing asanas until you are down to within a healthy weight range and thus, you will be able to obtain the full benefits from doing all the postures.

The best way to lose weight is by walking rather briskly for an hour per day, drinking at least 2 litres of pure water daily and limiting your fat and carb intake.

Cut out refined starches, pasta, sugars, dairy products and fatty meat (if you are not a vegetarian already) and don’t eat things like bananas, melons, potato, pumpkin and sweet corn.

Eat more apples, pears, citrus, leafy green vegetables, sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and steamed fish and chicken (if you’re not a vegetarian).

Nuts are okay, but try to avoid peanuts, cashews and macadamias. Almonds and walnuts are the best. Seeds like pippita and flax are very good (in moderation).

Supplement your diet with a very good multivitamin tablet and try Herbalife products (I am not pushing this, but they do work).

A few years ago, I lost 30 kilos in six months by following this regime…then I got lazy, started eating crap and put it all back on again (you want to make sure you lose weight slowly at about 1-2 kilos per week and no more than that).

I am going back on my diet starting next week.

Nobody , you obviously know your beans about nutrition. Those are very good recommendations ; however saying that yoga doesn’t help to lose weight is incorrect. It takes longer usually ( works from the inside out, also making digestive organs work better ) and should be done in conjunction with what you say anyway. See what I say above. Yoga regulates , and when necessary speeds up metabolism , burning calories more efficiently. Inversions, keep gravity from letting pliable inner organs sag, can be done on downward dog level etc. until you get to headstands. Shoulderstands are very helpful in losing weight. Plus, stretching muscles and circulating blood in them slim slowly and keeps nervous and bad eating habits down. You’re program is really good but yoga is larger than you and I know. Namaste.

Then there’s always the vinyasa which can and should be done at a level tailored to the individual. That’s as good as most things for burning calories. The absolute quickest thing and most dangerous unless you are young or very heart healthy are sprints. But if you are very overweight then heart and venous health should be checked professionally before such a program. Long term yoga is great.