Finding Classes

After I have been reading a few posts on this forum, I am finding out the whole other side I was never attuned to (in terms of yoga)

But now I am only further wary. Finding a suitable martial arts teacher you can trace the lineage and see where the instructor lies. Does a similarity apply for yoga as well?

It seems from what I extrapolate on here a bad teacher can harm you more than anything. I am also a little afraid with class size. With martial arts, overtime you can learn the techniques and the movements of the body and art. But yoga seems a bit more destructive when done improperly. Without the proper and watchful eye of the instructor, things can get abysmal.

I live in central New Jersey if anyone knows any reputable instructors.

1. I recommend exploring different styles of yoga to find a good fit for you. What are the benefits that you seek to find in practicing yoga? As someone who practices martial arts (I am assuming), you might prefer a more vigorous practice rather such as power yoga or ashtanga, or a disciplined practice that focuses on alignment like Iyengar, or heart-centered or relaxing approach like Hatha or Kripalu, or hot yoga or Bikram to aid in stretching, or a therapeutic practice, or spiritual practice, etc…
  2. It is excellent to evaluate your teacher and make sure they know their stuff. You are the judge of who and what’s right for you.

I don’t know if you live anywhere near Essex County but you could consider this place in Maplewood…

http://www.shaktinj.com/

Anna Winkler’s ’ 6-week beginner yoga series’ looks sound,a gd place to start.She modelled the asnana’s in one of my first hatha yoga manuaks(sivananda traditiion) i used at home.And i would expect her to be gd experoenced yogi and teacher, and know her stuff.The book i recognise her from was ‘yoga:mind & body’.

There are a variety of styles offered here, and they seem to take the gentle approach.