Finger and elbow joint injury

Had an ugly “accident” today, during running, I fell, and I injured my right elbow, and second fingers middle joint, taking the fall with a push-up like motion. I’ve been to the emergency, there is no fracture or luxation.
I can’t bend my finger, and my elbow’s motion is limited, extension to 120, flexion 90, I am unable to lift things, and turning my hand inward, there is a little swelling on the backside of the elbow.

I’ll visit an orthoped next week, I just wanted to ask if there is something you think I should or could do to help the healing process … or at least avoid doing something stupid.

A few things. Is the arm in a sling/immobiilized?
And you say there have been x-rays and they are negative, no fractures in the arm or hand, is that correct?

Here are a few things that if done with commmitment, love, and regularity, will move things along for you.

Massage organic untoasted sesame seed oil into the elbow and finger. It needs to be rubbed in thoroughly, 10 minutes or so of firm rubbbing of the oil. I suggest doing it at night so that it can penetrate the joints over serveral hours. Twice a day would be best. Once in the morning after bathing.

Cut all refined sugars and dairy from your diet. There is a beverage we use to stave off inflammation. It is made with Turmeric. If you are really comitted, really interested, and really will make/take it, then PM me and I will outline the recipe for you. Otherwise try Zyflammend from the health food store. It must be taken regularly. No missing.

Hydration is very important. Water, water, water. Also a very Yin lifstyle so the immune system may focus on the trauma at hand, so to speak. No jumpy practice for a bit please.

Breath work. Sit in a comfortable position with your back against the wall.
Begin with four minutes of simple breath awareness. Then begin to breath white light into the elbow joint and exhale brown light. Make sure to fill the space created by the brown going out WITH the white so there is no emptiness.

Asana is ill advised. However some micro movement in the Feldenkrais vein would be good once any swelling is reduced. The four movements I am thinking of are with the elbow bent to 90?. Isometric chopping down, chopping up, swinging out, swinging in. So that would be feining flexion, extension abduction, and adduction. A solid surface should provide the resistence. Micro movements. Tiny little contractions. No pain. If there is pain, stop.

Hope this helps you help you.

Thank you for the advise.

The motion range is even more reduced after a night, so I might say it is immobilised.

I have a little heat, too, after the anti-tetanus vaccine (had two open wounds, in other areas)

Otherwise I feel fine, calm, and I had a good rest, probably because all the problems what usually concern me, now are put on hold. Maybe that’s the reason for all this … I must stop working too much.

I will try to apply your advise, thank you again.

Hubert,
I am glad to hear you are resting well and feeling fine otherwise.
Since you’ve mentioned localized heat and the introduction of the vaccine, I would watch to be sure that the sesame-oil massage isn’t creating too much heat at the injury sites. The body is already circulating pyrogens due to the injuries and the sesame may be too heating. If it does go too hot, try Castor oil instead using the same directions that IA offered you.

Wishing you well,

Nichole is correct.

I was not aware there was an injection involved. These sorts of things, whenever possible, should be disclosed when initially presenting, otherwise the risk for erroneous direction is heightened.

My reference to “immobilized” was a reference to a cast, splint, or brace, rather than the actual mobility of the joint itself :slight_smile:

The heat was more like a slight fever, and it was not localized. Now it is mostly gone. I did find sesame oil, and massage the joints. Gently, but for a long time. It does not hurt. It seems to help.

Yesterday was a bit unpleasant, with that fever and sensation of tiredness.
Now, after sleeping sound, I feel better. No fever, no tiredness. Just the pain in the joints. I guess that will take some time to heal.

As a side note …
Am I right if I say too much activity and influencabilty are characteristic to vata types ? I think that’s what I am.

I am happy to announce that I restarted my asana practice. :slight_smile:

The elbow will take more time to heal, so I am doing just standing or prone poses.
My wounds healed so fast, that me and my wife was amazed … an immune system not hindered by negative thoughts, heavy foods and lack of rest can do wonders. :slight_smile:

Oh, those of you who jog, don’t keep anything in your hands. My elbow is injured because I was holding my keys, and that prevented me to put my palm flat on the ground while falling.
Also, do not hurry. As the example shows, it doesn’t worth it.

Thanks for everyone for the help ! (practical or emotional)