Flat thoracic curve

Please comment and give suggestions for someone with a flat upper spine, who suffers from shoulder stiffness and neck pain. This person also has a strong vinyasa practice. Thanks

The thoracic spine cannot be rounded outward by forward bending. However it can regain some curvature by increasing the lumbar curve below it and also by toning the erector spinae in general. However, my main suggestion would be to strengthen the psoas. This muscle does hip flexion thus lifitng the legs, and pulls the lumbar forward to create a natural forward curve. The former motion can be toned by leg lifting standing, sitting or lying. The latter can be toned by trying to arch the lower back in seated poses, forward bends, and especially in dog pose. There are plenty of opportunities to use the muscle in all asanas.
In addition I would also give plenty of poses which use the shoulder rotators and etensors such as eagle, face of cow/light, bow, camel. If the pain is more persistent then i would use my Joint Freeing Series. namaste Mukunda