From one of the dryest places on earth to the wettest

In April of this year I moved to Phoenix, Arizona (dry oven) to the Big Island of Hawaii where my locale receives over 200 inches of rain per year. To add an additional variable to the equation, we’re on water catchment and due to the sulfur dioxide from the volcano, the water is often quite acidic.

My body is freaking out.

My skin is itchy and my eyes are itchy. Does anyone have any thoughts on how one might approach moving from an extremely dry to an extremely wet and humid environment? I realize that my body will adapt in time, but it would be nice to minimize the discomfort in the meantime.

Thank you!

I empathise with you as i move on a 6monthly basis from india to Uk and vice versa. In the past it has been so stressful for my body and mind! I now follow advice presented by Natural Nutrition College in Devon,UK.

These are all tips to keep the body well hydrated and this will help in reducing acidity. A dehydrated body is a stressed body and vice versa, so by minimising the stress through being optimally hydrated, you body will adjust to the new environment somewhat easier.

Try to eat foods such brown rice and steamed vegetables with an emphasis on essential fatty acids, that is either fish oils or linseed(flax) oil, this must be taken with a protein source such as eggs or bee pollen. A good quality lecithin supplement can be taken with the protein and oils. 2-3 litres of water each day can be drunk. Try making linseed tea (recipe on internet) or simply drinking 2tsp of linseeds in a little water (leave for 2 hours and it will go like jelly) twice a day.

It may help to also focus on alkalising foods for some time and reduce heat creating foods as itchy symptoms would suggest excess heat in the body as well as acidity.

Thank you so much for your insight!

Is there a list of common alkalising foods and foods that increase acidity (so I can avoid those).

Hi David, this is a very good website that may interest you and an acid and alkali food chart. i cant put the link excatly as this forum wont allow me until ive written 15 posts or more. thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Verdana]Hi David,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]One of the biggest problems during extreme humidity and heat is that your Agni decreases even further and this leads of course to a myriad of internal as well as external problems, of which you experience some. Doing yoga that increases Agni may also help you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I do not take well to heat and humidity and here are a few of the things I always do to help myself during the summer months:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I include more detoxification massages, teas and juices during those months.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I try to follow a diet which increase power of digestion and strengthen my digestive system. (This should be done according to your dosha.) For me I have found that: drinking freshly squeezed lime juice with some soda water and salt to taste helps a lot. Add ginger and some gram to your daily intake may also assist you and stick perhaps to sour and salty tasting foods. I also like to drink my water boiled mixed with a little organic honey and then cooled down, this seems to reduce the acidity for me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Apply organic sesame oil to cracked feet and skin. For fungal infections you can try a paste of tumeric, neem (in Auyurveda it is believed to be magical) and sesame seeds, which can be applied to the fungal infections, especially between the toes. But I think you might struggle to get hold of neem, I always find it difficult to get in SA. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hope this helps a bit.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

[/FONT]

I’m fairly certain we discussed this when you visited.

Hello David and friends,
I believe this may be the first time that many of my recommendations will be completely opposite from Pandara’s. We have been on this forum along time together, so it is about time maybe. :wink:

David, you haven’t mentioned your climate’s normal heat to be an issue as well, but can we assume that is playing a role too? Wet and hot/warm environments usually provoke the symptoms that you are presenting. If you throw in the dramatic and nearly instant change (the length of your flight) from this environment to that of your previous home, the caustic contribution of the volcano to the water and air, as well as any doshic provocations that you may have already been cycling in your constitution, it is not surprise that you are having these flare-ups. The good new is that there are a lot of opportunities to make some changes that will help you as you adjust to your new environment.

Ayurvedically speaking, whenever you increase heat, you increase agni. Any time you bring heat into your system through any medium, such as heating spices in our foods, climate, pitta increasing practices, etc., you are increasing agni. From what I can gather, it seems to me that pitta may be your dominate dosha normally, which makes any increase in pitta more noticeable.

Itching and burning skin can be due to too much vata (dry and cool) or a pitta (wet and hot), but with the situation and symptoms that you outlined, I would say it is a matter of your body dealing with excess pitta in its system. The trick is to keep the fire in your belly at healthy level so your digestion works properly for you, while helping dissipate the heat that is elsewhere in your body. You will likely need to make continuous micro-adjustments to help balance this.

My recommendations based on what you have offered:

[ul]
[li]Continue with the non-acidic, akalzing foods as these are most often also pitta decreasing foods too.[/li][li]Use coconut oil to condition and protect your skin. Sesame is heating and denser, which also keeps your body heat close to you. Ayurvedically, coconut oil is cooling and also allows heat to move away from the body. It also conditions and protects the skin from pitta flares.[/li][li]Bring more coconut oil into your foods, staying away from sesame or olive oils.[/li][li]If coconut is not your thing, (coconut is good for cooling pitta, but only if it is good for YOU), try aloe. You can also do a combo of aloe and coconut.[/li][li]Drinking medicinal aloe is also good–you can make non-citrus fruit drinks and add the aloe.[/li][li]Shitalli and Sitkari pranayamas can help cool during acute flare-ups.[/li][li]Incorporate appropriate pitta-pacifying herbs into your foods. (cumin, fennel, cardamon, aloe vera juice, pippali, etc.)[/li][li]Our eyes and our minds each have their own agni, so consider giving your eyes long breaks from the internet and TV. Also, keep good company with friends, music and books to balance the digestive fire of your mind.[/li][/ul]
This is good place to start. Depending on what brings you relief and what does not, I could offer you additional recommendations then.

Wishing you well in your new home,
Nichole

[quote=Nichole;20373]Hello David and friends,
I believe this may be the first time that many of my recommendations will be completely opposite from Pandara’s. We have been on this forum along time together, so it is about time maybe. ;)[/quote]

Namaste Nichole,

And I shall humbly bow to your more superior knowledge and experience as I am just starting to learn about Ayurveda and only some of my knowledge sofar is based on personal experience. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply and so I continue to learn. May I ask, I really do experience my Agni as decreasing during our hot, humid months in SA, might that have anything to do witht the fact that I am predominantly Kapha? This I ask without deflecting away too much from David’s original question.

I wanted to aknowledge all of you and give thanks. I will respond in greater length after I have processed what has been suggested.

Namaste to you Pandara, a deep bow to you my friend. Thank you for your kind words, although you have been too generous; I accept them on behalf of the good works of my blessed teachers.

Personal experience has been the best teacher for me as well, within the guidance of my teachers. I do agree with you that it is likely that your kapha predominance, as well as as a normally low contribution of the pitta dosha, are the basis for your experience of decreased agni. A question though, is this only the agni of your belly or elsewhere too? Is your appetite for anything else decreased or increased? I am assisting my Ayurveda teacher currently and will have the chance to talk with her about my ideas for why–I will share them with you after checking with her.

With hands together,
Nichole

Nichole, I have PM you.

Alrighty! Thank you all again for your wonderful insight, I can’t thank you enough :slight_smile: Nichole, my land is at 2000 feet so it’s not what I would call hot, but we’re working so hard that we definitely generate some internal heat. I’m ordering a manual oil press so we can make our own coconut oil :cool: I’ve also purchased aloe juice and will be giving that a shot as well.

After modest changes I am pleased to report that the itching has already subsided substantially. I’m looking forward to it being a non issue as I try out these other suggestions.

Much love to each of you!

Where, may I ask on the Big Isle?
You live in one of my favorite places. My
neighbor has a condo in Kona that he has
offered us to use…

I am a big fan of pH…we test our urine regularly
in this house! Your move is so recent…and a [I]big[/I]
one at that! You’ll probably adjust in time…be patient
and follow all the great advice from your fellow
yogis and yoginis.

Best with Blessings, Namaste

PS…have you ever tried Wellness formula? You take
3 of these asap with any ‘imbalance’…seems to really
work well for us…any health food store should carry it.

I see this is an old tread and was wondering what worked for you?

Not much. It turns out I have inflammatory bowel disease.

I have heard drinking aloe vera can help with that, but you have probably tried many-a-cure.

Sorry to hear and good luck

Now you have mold mildew and a lot little biting bugs .
Bright side fresh fruit ,veggies , and paradise
Cheers imho