Handstands

Can you do a handstand?

Do you have any tricks you can share about handstands and learning how to do them?

I can get up into one against a wall by kicking up into it. But my teacher is getting me to kick into it in a different way now, which uses much more core strength and less momentem. I’m supposed to be in sort of a short down dog position with one leg sticking straight out and the other leg pushing up like a spring. I can feel this working and almost did it a couple times, and can feel it will be a much better way to get up there then by just swinging my leg, though it’s a challenge and requires more strenght.

I find that attempting handstands wears me out after a few tries, so I can’t just practice doing it for an hour, as much as I would like to.

I can now do a good solid HEADstand with good alignment and hold it for a few minutes. At one time a headstand was a challenge and now it seems pretty easy.

But will it be the same for a HANDstand? And could I get to the point where I could do one in the middle of a room and maintain balance for a couple of minutes?

And what about falling? I’ve been told you can “just cartwheel out of it,” but don’t know how to do that, and wonder if I would have the ability to do it the first time.

I understand yoga is not “gymnastics,” but I’m fascinated by inversions, and I just really want to do a handstand.

thomas,

Try going up with inhalation, your head hanging down, with the neck relaxed. Once you’re up, don’t hold your breath.

I have previous posts here on doing handstand freely, without kicking up, without a wall, just honest to goodness leverage and torque, but you will have to find it yourself, because I don’t know how.

peace,
siva

On a good day? Yes!

siva

[QUOTE=siva;39267]On a good day? Yes!

siva[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Some things in yoga seem to be elusive–you can’t hold on to them.

One day I was doing the tree pose with perfect balance and holding it a long time, and I thought to myself “YES, I’ve figured it out.” And then the next day I was wobbling all over the place and could barely hold it for a couple of seconds.

I will see if I can find your posts about handstands, unless you know where they are and could provide a link.

Thank you.

The good thing about working on handstands is that it makes headstands seem so easy.

Humor is the best way to deal with frustration! Keep your humor Thomas!

One other thing I thought of is your back. While you said you have the upper body strength, focus one your back next time. See if you allow it to collapse. How are your abs?

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;39292]Humor is the best way to deal with frustration! Keep your humor Thomas!

One other thing I thought of is your back. While you said you have the upper body strength, focus one your back next time. See if you allow it to collapse. How are your abs?[/QUOTE]

This is a big issue with me.

I have probems with keeping my ribs from popping out and from arching my back.

But I’ve been working on it.

Some of the ab work we do in class–sometimes I feel like I’m glued to the floor and can’t budge. So my abs do need a lot of attention, and I’m discovering how much of balance and all the poses depend upon a good “core.”

[QUOTE=thomas;39210]I understand yoga is not “gymnastics,” but I’m fascinated by inversions, and I just really want to do a handstand.[/QUOTE]

Same here - I’m fascinated by inversions and aiming to do a handstand sequence. But it will take me some time to get there (I feel my wrists have to get stronger because balancing makes them hurt a bit). I heard once advice: practice as often as possible - if you don’t have to do anything at given moment, do handstand :wink:

[QUOTE=Pawel;39301]Same here - I’m fascinated by inversions and aiming to do a handstand sequence. But it will take me some time to get there (I feel my wrists have to get stronger because balancing makes them hurt a bit). I heard once advice: practice as often as possible - if you don’t have to do anything at given moment, do handstand ;)[/QUOTE]

I do work on it at odd moments whenever I can. Actually it almost has to be that way for me right now because after a few tries I’m fatigued.

How are you at headstands?

I’ve been working lately on lowering my legs to a “pike” position (from a headstand)–I think it would be called that–I don’t know the proper name for the pose, and it really works the abdominals, and maybe that will help somewhat with the handstand.

I don’t struggle with headstand too much. But I do bit of cheating getting into the pose - I push my lower back bit forward so my legs go up themselves and I don’t have to do much work. I think its cheating because back should be kept vertical, right?

I’m sure all controlled getting up/lowering helps. I think thats the key to do it - have control and strength in each phase of movement.

Sound to me like you’re doing the headstand right.

Have you checked youtube? If you do a search on “yoga headstands” or handstands you can find all kinds of demonstrations.

Here’s a pretty good one, but there are tons more:

Two good youtube videos for handstands:

Thanks for links. Good stuff (this girl is great - pleasure to watch).

I’m not sure now about this back…

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHBZRty2HE
At 1:10 this guy is doing hand stand and it seems he doesn’t push hips forward (unfortunately its not good angle to see it properly). I wonder if using this trick with hips will prevent you in long run from building proper strength and control (or slow it down).

Wow that guy is amazing. But he’s doing stuff I don’t think I ever want to do, not that I could ever get there in my lifetime.

He must have incredible strength to be able to press into those inversions like he does.

true, it looks crazy at moments…

About strength: I wonder what is part of the strength vs. coordination and “team” work of muscles. I noticed that when I’m doing asanas and I contract as many muscles as I can (e.g. core and legs in forward bend) , suddenly movement around and beyond my “limit” becomes much more easy. So maybe with proper coordination you don’t put all work on one poor muscle group but engage more and through that less strength is necessary?

@Pawel
You mentioned your wrists hurting a bit. Have you tried wrist braces? You can buy them inexpensively at local drugstores. They give just enough support without being cumbersome. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and this helps me quite a bit. (Carpal tunnel is pretty much gone. Last attack with 9 years ago. Yoga perhaps helped!)

And also what you said in the above post is true. It’s not working one or two muscles but a coordinated effort of many groups. That way no one group does all the work. It’s all about balance!

@Thomas

The spine needs a strong core to support it. When the core is not strong, your body will take the path of least resistance to be able to do a pose and usually it is the wrong muscles. At first you may find you are doing the pose very well. The one day you feel it. So strengthen the core, especially the Transverse Abdominus ( like a corset covering torso from ribs to pelvis) It’s very important in helping to compress the ribs and does provide pelvic and lumbar stability. It works well with the Lumbar Multifidi which is a group of muscles that are very deep and are responsible for movement between the vertebrae. Working these 2 muscle groups together will help with spinal stability. The Multifidi are often overlooked. I went through the Lumbar stabilization as part of my physical therapy for my herniated discs and it really helps. If you are interested in a few exercises for these, let me know and I’ll share them.

Thanks for the insights about the core muscles lotusgirl. I would definatly appreciate if you would share your abdominal exercises.

Quite simple actually.

Sit ups and reverse sit ups: Sit with knees bent and feet/legs close together. Lift heels. Begin engaging the abs, lifting them while you bring the ribs down toward the pelvis. Keep this action the whole time. Arms are straight out in front of you. You will be rounding your back. Come down 1 vertebrae at a time, lengthening the spine as you come down. Go very slowly and deliberately. Once down, come back up the same way. This is usually quite hard in the beginning depending on your core strength. If it is difficult, begin by kicking one leg out to gain momentum or hold onto your legs as you come up. You should repeat this at least 10 times, and if time, several times per day.

Begin on all fours (table) Extend R arm out in front and L leg back behind you. Lengthen through the spine as if someone is stretching it from the middle. (like pulling taffy) hold for several breaths and repeat on other side. Do several rounds.

To get to know the Multifidus, lay on your belly and have someone place there thumbs right along your spine where there is a slight indentation. Imagine you are trying to squeeze their thumbs together. It is the most subtle of movements and does some practice as these are very deep muscles, but they are important! Once you get the hang of it, you can then add engaging the Tranverse Abdominus. Engagement is like lifting the pelvic floor. Lay on your back with knees bent to do this and do several rounds. To feel the subtle engagement of the TA, place your hand on the lower abdomen when you engage it and you can feel it contract. Practice each of these separately, and when ready, practice together.

There are several more Kundalini style core poses, but I would try the above first and see if it helps with the puffing out of the ribs and giving you more stability.

Let me know if you have questions.

[QUOTE=siva;39267]On a good day? Yes!

siva[/QUOTE]

:))

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;39337]@Pawel
You mentioned your wrists hurting a bit. Have you tried wrist braces? You can buy them inexpensively at local drugstores. They give just enough support without being cumbersome. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and this helps me quite a bit. (Carpal tunnel is pretty much gone. Last attack with 9 years ago. Yoga perhaps helped!) [/QUOTE]

Hi Lotusgirl,
I have a feeling that in my case its just matter of time and adaptation. I like to push myself beyond limit so I’m afraid that if I would have those braces I would do more than I should. And it would result in mismatch between what I do and what my wrists can handle.
I’ve just read about this carpal tunnel problem. Glad its gone!