Have a cold -should I do yoga/

this might seem dumb but can you do yoga when you have a cold. I think it is but I want to read what other people have to say. I believe I should get better first then do yoga. Based on the breathe and if you can’t breath through your noose and can’t think right. Doing yoga while your sick ia waste of time or it will not work at all.

Nothing seems “dumb” on a yoga board.
All questions are part of the learning curve.

If you are unable to practice, be it from a cold, or your location, or you are being held against your will, then use common sense and do not do your practice.

In the cases where you may be able to do a practice even with an illness, try to modify your practice so that you do practice but do not add harm to the current situation.

In your case some chest openers, an inversion (if you are able) and a very comfy, warm savasana is fine. Do not exert much when practicing with a cold.

[QUOTE=Makena;3825]this might seem dumb but can you do yoga when you have a cold. I think it is but I want to read what other people have to say. I believe I should get better first then do yoga. Based on the breathe and if you can’t breath through your noose and can’t think right. Doing yoga while your sick ia waste of time or it will not work at all.[/QUOTE]

So just do the poses you have written only or can I do the same route by the dvd but just don’t push myself , just take it easy. I was thinking that I should just rest and when the cold is gone them start up my yoga practice.

On the two occassions when I’ve done this, I’ve found that asanas did seem to accelerate recovery. In my case I stretched enough to significantly reduce that muscluar stiffness and recovery soon followed. I had the flu and it worked beautifully both times. I’d quess that it has to do with improving energy flow throughout the body. Take it slowly though, and be very conscious of pulling a muscle (always good advice anyway).

Well I am getting over my cold. I have not been able to do any yoga due to moving and packaging. But I glad to get some more info on this thread.

This is certainly the time of year for colds and flu. As others have indicated, following one’s own common sense and inner urges are an important part of the whole experience of being in “yoga” or wholeness.

In general, during a cold or time of illness, rejuvenating and relaxing practices are indicated to provide the body a chance to recover. These practices help to put the mind/body into a relaxation mode which supports the immune system. As previously noted, chest opening on support may help to increase the flow of fluids and move the cold. Neti or water snuffing may also help.

During the winter the weather may be colder, so when we are well a more heating practice (Surya Namaskar) can be used to keep the body in balance and stimulate the metabolism.

As for foods, milk and rice are considered to be mucus producing. You may find other recommendations in an ayurvedic diet to supplement your asana practice.

Hope this if helpful.
Namaste - Chandra

Well as I am writing this I am in the process of moving by car and feeling lot better and The next time I get a cold I will look up this thread for the info and follow suit. Thank you to all for taking the time to help me out. namaste

I cannot do yoga when I have a cold. It tends to make me feel worse. So I just stay away from it. But, I rarely get colds so, ya know

well I am feeling better and as soon as I can pracitice yoga I will be doing so. Because I am traveling with my family by car them go on a plane to Maui.

I’m glad that you’re feeling better now, Makena.

It’s always better to practice yoga when you’re in good health to have better focus. But it depends on the severity of the sickness mostly. Just listen to your body.