Help with posture

Hello everyone, and Namaste…

I have been practicing yoga for about a year now independently, and I’ve been taking classes since January. It was only when I started going to formal classes that I realized how horrible my posture is, thanks to the studio’s wall-sized mirrors and my teacher’s adjustments. Over the course of the past month, I’ve been intently working on improving my posture – remaining conscious of it at all times and attempting to realign myself accordingly. But nothing seems to be helping. I still have this awful hunch in my upper back.

Here’s a run down of the problems I have; maybe it’ll help you understand the specifics of my problem. Whenever I’m in savasana, both of my shoulder naturally want to peel off the floor. The rest of my back touches the ground (except the saddle of my back), but I can’t get rid of the lift in my shoulders. It’s not impossible for me to push my shoulders down so that they’re level with the ground, but they always end up making their way back up.

Also, in any position in which my arms are outstretched (down-faced dog, child’s pose, etc.), I have the same problem… but since I don’t have the levelness of the floor to guide my alignment, I don’t know how to correct the problem. I can always push my shoulders down and back, but 1) often times it causes discomfort, like there are knots in my shoulder blades and 2) it never sticks.

So, my question to you is this: what are some exercises I can do to improve my posture? Furthermore, what should proper posture feel like? To me, correcting my posture feels almost uncomfortable. I feel like I can’t send my shoulders back without lifting them, so doing both (which is what I need) seems impossible.

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I apologize if this post is too descriptive or not descriptive enough. :]

Have a good night, everyone!

I have uploaded new Yoga exercises, this will help you, just checkout- flixya.com/gallery/31246/theseotitle

Hi, stecky! Welcome to the forums!

While your teacher – who gets to look at your body and hopefully has more training than I do – might say otherwise, I begin to wonder if your chest muscles are particularly short or your upper back muscles just less strong.
A yoga book that didn’t focus on just muscles I read might also suggest that you describe your shoulders being hunched over your heart center. Maybe you’re trying to protect something emotionally.

Have you asked your teacher about it since you posted?

Yes I’m wondering why your teacher is not involved in this process??

Since we can’t see you, and therefore give you accurate feedback for your particular body, I’ll just mention the simple. This sort of thing is either the muscles in one place overworking or the muscles in another underworking, or both. Assessing which are which THEN doing something about it is the role of the teacher with who you have contact.

Thanks for the wonderful responses!

I have asked my teacher about this, but her solutions have only minimally rectified the problem. It was only recently (in the last couple sessions) that I’ve asked her to pay special attention to this problem.

Techne – My shoulders are in fact hunched over my heart center, to the extent that it inhibits my breathing in some poses (i.e. crane, tripod, etc.). That statement about emotional protection – it’s definitely possible.

About the overworking and underworking of muscles – Which muscles would I be overworking, my chest muscles or my upper back muscles? I have extremely flexible back and shoulders, but my muscles aren’t exactly strong in that area. Which poses would be particularly strengthening for that part of the body?

• Proper posture should feel effortless*.

One should’nt have to think about forcing oneself to sit upright spine neck straight or shoulders back touching ground in savasana.It should just happen. The forward hunch and/or rounded shoulders or whatever you might have will just return the moment you stop thinking about having to make a consicous effort to correct it and assume correct posture or good alignement in savsana, in a seat or whatever. M. Alexander said we could make the bodily changes by consiously changing how moved but other folk influenced by him said he was kinda mistaken and that one need to do specifi things/excercises for this to happen.
Moshe Feldenkrais and Thomas Hanna indicated this. I think they’re right.

Imbalances specifically unequal tension between opposing muscle groups are often the source. They could be moulded or even caused by emotional/attitude/enviroonment factors or habits. Eventually the body/mind/brain think it’s normal, habituation, and changes cann’t be made unless one does specific things in a systematic way and in a certain way, i.e with awareness. The tension habits or patterns( or emotional grooves even) become unstuck.And you inhabit yourbody with ease, freedon and comfort, free from any muscle group pulling this way or that way, forwards, and/or backwards and/or to one side.

sounds like the front of you bdy may bee quite tight, so your ribcage is hunched over, shoulders rounded.

some folk identify the emotions that go with this as anxiety, panic and fear,( the withdrawal response). in hanna somatics they call it the red-light reflex, as opposed to the green light reflex which affects the muscles of the front of the body and connected with the action response, an arched lower back. alot of folk often have a combination of the two as tension in the front of the body can mean tensionin the front body- (they’re related). The reference to reflex is because they are hardwired messages/ pathwayas in the brain and cortex that are keeping the muscles in a permanent level of tension.These buttons need switched off and new pathways reawakened or woken up.

You can acheive this through mindful yoga or hanna somatics.The latter will work through reroutiing new sensory-motor impressions via muscles-brain feedback training, for which there are specifi excercises or prescriptions for which you can do. A trained teacher could be consulted in yoga ,who can see what you are doing, right or worng, or not doing.The hanna somatics route could be acheived quicker through a private session with a certified ’ hanna somatics educator’ if you are lucky enough to live near one. They have a wealth of tools/ presriptions for different jobs and individiuals just lke a well trained experienced therapist or yoga teacher. hanna somatic works mainly on the physical body and mind. Yoga would seem like themore complete mind-body practcie but it is a bit of a minelfield in the sense very powerful in a positive way but also equally potentialy dangerous.As the previous poster has said elsewhere on this forum, in the wrong hands these powerful tools can do as much harm or more than they can do good.Experienced yogis will hoefully have learned to guard against complacency as it can be disastrous.

I just read your reply- so iwll add that depressed breathing is often linked to hunched tight chest or front muscles adn rounded shoudlers, something i believe now well documented in medicine. Visceral organ function, depressed chest and tight chest abdominal muscles often cause breathing problems as well high blood pressure, heart attacks risk etc . In a nutshell what i am saying is depresed breathing is intimately linked with r caused by a depressed chest and the evidence in modern medicine can show this…Dr Thomas Hanna made this observation too and drew on the mountain of research and conclusions found there as well as the people he treated with his therapy

Hope this helps

Welcome to the forums Stecky :-)!

Acceptance of what is in this moment is the first step towards the healing. When you are saying to yourself that your posture is horrible, and you try to fix it, and get rid of the tensions, well that doesn’t sound too gentle and kind. When we learn to be with what is, and accept it, we create the energy that is gentle, loving, calming and therefore healing. Our minds create habits how we mentally and emotionally response to the situations in life. For example when we are not satisfied with what is, and we constantly want something else, something better, we create tensions, which reflects on body.
Yoga practice is to learn how to use our minds, that serve us and therefore also others best. It takes study of yourself, observing yourself, persistent practice and patience. Contemplate the quality and gracefulness of your practice as a life long process in which changes are occurring spontaneously, yet they are not the purpose. The purpose is to get to know yourself on the deepest level.
I suggest you also to search a bit on forum which books were recommended.

It could be that the minimal correction you’ve seen so far is just the toe hold you’ll use to get to the next minimal correction, and then the next. If your current posture took a few years to create and reinforce, it might take as long to re-create your posture.
Might be worth exploring – have you rolled up a blanket or towel, and reclined (face up) across it where the roll can support your middle back (just below your scapulae)? Make it a very small roll at first.

My posture has in fact taken years to form. I used to have a perfectly aligned spine, and my shoulders were perfectly perpendicular to them. It’s all the computer’s fault… or my fault for sitting at the computer for hours on end. Don’t worry… I don’t do that anymore, hehe.

Core – I’m reading up on Hanna somatics. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Mirjana – That’s the most wonderful advice I’ve heard in a long time. It can be applied to multiple aspects of life. Acceptance is so important. If you’re not content in the present, how can you ever expect contentedness in the future?

Techne – I sometimes go into savasana with a rolled-up blanket at my mid-back. It definitely makes me more aware of my posture. I should probably do it more. :]

Dear Stecky,

I’m grateful to members who are sharing this again & again in various threads on this forum. I need to hear this for myself as often as possible. I believe that real changes happens only with the awareness. Studying some classical texts (for example Yoga Sutras) is lifting up the awareness. Sutras are great guide to understand how mind is functioning, and offer us tools how to create more peaceful state of mind, from where our Yoga journey can begin.

Take care

I do tons of laptop work. On the desk, on the bed… etc. Its unavoidable.

What can I do?

esp w ref to…

• Improve Posture / Posture related Muscles via Yoga. (I read & hear that the lower trapezius is key in holding up the upper spine).
  • Things to note & do when working on laptop… or in breaks…

[QUOTE=stecky;16519]My posture has in fact taken years to form. I used to have a perfectly aligned spine, and my shoulders were perfectly perpendicular to them. It’s all the computer’s fault… or my fault for sitting at the computer for hours on end. Don’t worry… I don’t do that anymore, hehe.

Core – I’m reading up on Hanna somatics. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Mirjana – That’s the most wonderful advice I’ve heard in a long time. It can be applied to multiple aspects of life. Acceptance is so important. If you’re not content in the present, how can you ever expect contentedness in the future?

Techne – I sometimes go into savasana with a rolled-up blanket at my mid-back. It definitely makes me more aware of my posture. I should probably do it more. :][/QUOTE]

There a couple things that pop into my mind after reading your post regarding your shoulders. The first is one of my cousins, more like a sister, she has a hyper-kifotic spine which causes her shoulders to round inwards and down (they are internally rotated), and a hunch at the top of her back. This is a spinal condition. All her life grown-ups told her to sit up, not realizing for her to sit up was painful. If she had listened to them though her posture wouldn’t be as bad as it is today. They eventually sent her to Sick Kids hospital for it, and the physio they had her do was too painful so she quit.

Do not force your body to do anything! I am not saying that you have a spinal condition like my cousin, but I am saying take your time, something which has taken years to create cannot be fixed overnight. It could take over a year to correct, or more. The important part is that you have found the problem and are taking action making little adjustments to correct it. Your yoga teacher should be able to help you with this.

However, to get even more informed help try seeking out a Registered Message Therapist. It sounds like your pectoral muscles are too tight and short and are working instead of your rhomboids. So look for yoga postures which will stretch and lengthen your pectoral muscles and strengthen your rhomboids. Even simple things like squeezing your shoulder blades together, or sitting against a wall for periods of time in meditation and trying to maintain your posture, just don’t use the wall for support. Another good one for stretching your pectorals is sit down, tuck a bolster snug against the base of your back, now lie back on the bolster and spread your arms straight out at your sides and just breath and relax and stay here for a little while.

You should really ask a professional who can see your body structure physically for an assessment and some possible remedial exercises though.