Hot Yoga bad for environment?

Hello,

Just wanted to air something that’s been bugging me for a while; namely: Hot Yoga. Is anyone else out there in the Yoga-sphere disturbed by Hot Yoga and its progeny? I don’t mean the accusations of rape made against its founder; nor do I mean the contention that it is potentially injurious to its practitioners, causing them to faint and burst blood vessels. All that is their red wagon and I’m fine with it. What I mean is the apparent disregard for the environment, for other living things, and for Planet Earth evinced by the custom of heating practice rooms upward of 110 degrees Fahrenheit!

What’s up with that? \(◎o◎)/

Energy doesn’t come from magic fairy dust. And even with the potential use of solar or other sustainable energy sources, heavy insulation, heat pumps, heat exchangers, etc. when the total demand of all those boiling-hot studios is added up the amount of waste must be staggering. That means fossil fuels folks, burned unnecessarily for the pleasure of a few yogis, helping push our dying planet deeper into the grave. It’s the Hummer of Hatha Yoga. The McMansion of Mantra. Etc. Etc. IMHO this is wrong. And what’s more, it’s downright un-yogic. There is a plethora of other ways to get your yoga fix on that don’t involve creating a chain of giant, Earth-killing pseudo-saunas. Right? Don’t we have enough people living with complete disregard to nature without yoga-lovers joining their selfish ranks?

So, what gives, Hot Yoga people? Am I missing something? I’m sure you’re all very nice. But, seriously, I’d really like to know. How do ya’ll justify this?

Best regards,
YogAndy

Yes, agreed. People should stop heating their homes too. Close all of the hot yoga studios except for mine.

I think the point isn’t that people heat yoga studios at all, but that they do it to a ridiculously high temperature. People rarely heat their homes up to 90 or 100 degrees or higher, but Hot Yoga studios regularly do. Such temperatures are not needed to practice yoga. Don’t you think that’s a waste of energy? How do you justify it? I’d love a serious reply.

Cars aren’t “needed” for transportation either yet people use them. I love hot yoga and students/clients love hot yoga.

In the Northeast some people protest the exploration for gas that lies below and then go home to their gas heated houses. It’s crazy.

When you get China, India, Russia, South America, Viet Nam, etc to stop drilling holes in the ground and using all the energy they can get their hands on we’ll talk.

Dave, with all due respect, I would point out that cars, or by extension all motor vehicles, are, in fact, needed, at least to maintain the world as we now know it. For proof I ask you to imagine what would happen if all motorized vehicles were suddenly, magically turned into bicycles, and the use of motorized vehicles was globally prohibited. I think you will agree, the world economy would quickly collapse, anarchy would ensue, followed by war, famine, and untold misery for the world population. If this is not clear to you, do a little research; I think you’ll find it’s quite accurate.

If, on the other hand, all Hot Yoga studios were suddenly, magically turned into conventional yoga studios, and Hot Yoga were prohibited, there would be no effect whatsoever on the world at large. The only people affected would be the practitioners of Hot Yoga, who would soon discover that, indeed, ridiculously high temperatures are not needed to practice and enjoy yoga.

As for those who protest drilling for gas (I think you are referring to “fracking”) but themselves use gas to heat their homes, I don’t see how it helps your argument to point it out. All that does is point out that some people are hypocrites. But I never said proponents of Hot Yoga are hypocrites; I said they are wasteful. As for China, Vietnam, etc. using energy resources in a wasteful way, that is something that the world should be very worried about and should try to address. But I’m not talking about those issues, I’m talking about Hot Yoga, and asking you as a promoter and practitioner of Hot Yoga to think about your own behavior and how it effects our environment.

Consider the idea of conservationism, Dave; the idea that we should be careful and cautious with natural resources so as to reduce the impact of their use on the environment and to save them for future use. Conservationism is a science of degrees. It recognizes that the use of resources, while necessary, is not a black and white proposition. Resources can be squandered or they can be used sparingly. Needless to say, the latter is preferable. I don’t think I need to expound too much on this concept as it is widely known and understood. I can’t imagine you are not familiar with it. And yet, you frame your argument as though it is utterly irrelevant to you. To sum your argument, you seem to be saying:

I enjoy Hot Yoga; other people are wasteful and hypocritical, so it’s ok for me to be the same way.

You bring up the issue of cars and of home heating to sure up your position. But when seen in the light of conservationism, that position melts away. How? Simply because of the untold efforts on the part of the public and private sector for the last 50 years or more to move toward technologies that support conservationism. The advent of the hybrid car and the use of solar energy are two outcomes of this movement. But unless Hot Yoga studios all take advantage of these technologies, which they absolutely do not, then they are working contrary to efforts at conservationism, exactly like the huge SUVs that have become so popular in recent years and the ridiculously huge houses that have come into style among the newly rich. As the owner of a Hot Yoga studio, you are part of this movement toward excessive and conspicuous consumption that can only be adding to and exacerbating an already very bad situation. And you tell me you don’t care. You love Hot Yoga, so it’s ok. That’s a very sad statement to be coming from a practitioner of yoga. Honestly, it boggles my mind that you can’t see it. It is almost heartbreaking to me as a lover of yoga and a lover of our planet. So, I ask you again, Dave, how do you justify this? How? Please explain, because your arguments up to now don’t hold water.

Here is some info, btw, that might help you understand my point of view:

Noun: conservationism: A movement that supports conservation, especially that of natural resources

Citation: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/conservationism

From Wikipedia:

“Conservation is the act of preserving, guarding or protecting; wise use. Conservation may refer to: Main usage: Conservation (ethic) of biodiversity, environment, and natural resources, including protection and management.”

Citation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation

“The only people affected would be the practitioners of Hot Yoga, who would soon discover that, indeed, ridiculously high temperatures are not needed to practice and enjoy yoga.”

You’re telling me what I enjoy and how I should enjoy it?

“The advent of the hybrid car and the use of solar energy are two outcomes of this movement.”

Both are essentially failed movements. Sure it may make you feel good, because in your mind you are saving the enviorment driving a hybrid, which is nonsense. Time will tell.

I am very conservative with my resources. When Al Gore sells his five mansions and his private jets I’ll drive a Hybrid. Meanwhile I have a hot yoga class to lead and must practice, in the heat thankyou.

Until then I have freedom of choice and will do everything and anything to maintain my freedom from your world order.

“You’re telling me what I enjoy and how I should enjoy it?”

There’s no logical connection between what I said and the statement above. I was merely illustrating the point that extreme temperatures are not needed for yoga practice.

As for hybrid cars, etc. or any aspect of conservationism, their success or failure is very hard to determine. But we should all do everything possible to conserve energy. For example, we shouldn’t heat yoga studios or homes to preposterous levels.

I’m not telling you what to do. I’m asking you to consider the ramifications of your behavior. I do hope that in the future, however, someone will tell you what to do; namely: the government. Outrageously selfish conduct like that of the Hot Yoga business should be controlled and legislated, like any industry that abuses the environment. You can argue all day about what you want to do and whine about how other people are wasteful too, but at the end of the day the choices you make have impact. The choice you make to practice and promote and spread Hot Yoga is wrong, and you know it.

Interesting discussion guys. For me, I sweat so profusely during my regular vinyasa flow that I cannot imagine doing yoga at high temps. I did yoga in China and Hong Kong where people don’t seem to need AC and that about did me in. So not for conservation but for self preservation I will probably never do hot yoga.

Great point, Shu. I do Ashtanga, and I also sweat unbelievably during my practice, even in cold rooms in the winter. Which is why I say again, high ambient temperatures are unnecessary for yoga, even if you want to sweat profusely. Heat should come from vinyasa and breath, not coal and crude oil. That’s the beauty of yoga.

Andy, What about A/C in hot climates. Probably the studios that use that should stop and open windows instead.

That sounds good to me, Dave. But in general, I recommend doing whatever is reasonable by any normal precedents of human behavior. If you live in a place where temperatures get so high that they, like temperatures in a Hot Yoga studio, become dangerous to your health, then by all means use an air-conditioner, but set it to a reasonable level. If you live in a very cold place, use a heater at a reasonable level. The key here, as in all things, is moderation. That’s the whole point, Dave. It’s not an all or nothing-at-all proposition, as you have tried repeatedly to argue. It’s a plea for moderation against a dangerous societal trend toward absurdly unreasonable consumption, of which Hot Yoga is only the latest symptom.

Well guys, I did a very quick Google search on Bikram. Pros and Cons. Sorry to say yogandy, no one seemed to have your concern for the environment. However, there seemed to be lots of questions about the dangers of exercising at these high temps. One person explaining the PROS stated that if you begin to feel sick and nauseous that’s normal. Just relax and take a little water. So for me, any activity where it is normal to feel like you want to barf is just not one I’d like to partake of. I used to be a long distance runner. Marathons, etc. Once training on a humid day I experienced heat exhaustion. Nausea, chills, aches and pains. And this was I would say an accident. Not planned. So high heat and exercise that is part of the program is not for me, maybe because of that experience too. It hurt.
Conversely I am a huge fan of taking a sauna. I spent lots of time in the far east and saunas are all over the place and in most hotels.Probably lots and lots more common than Bikram studios. Not sure yogandy if this affects the environment as the heat comes from throwing water on super hot stones but it takes electricity to heat the rocks up.Course they’re all over Scandanavia too.
In this you are usually reclining and not exerting yourself and you can exit at any time. This I like . ^-^. I’ve even done it AFTER a yoga session. Much better for me.

“The heat also helps you sweat. Sweating is one of the most important mechanisms of natural healing, since it enables the body to release toxins, metabolic debris, and excess fluids. It also gives the kidneys an dliver some much needed rest because their usual burden of detoxifying and purifying the blood is lessened. The skin is the largest elimination organ of the human body, and the more you sweat, the more toxins you release. Besides,it feels so good to just let the sweat pour out of you!” Baron Baptiste

Hey daves007. Whatever floats your boat. For me I’ll do a cool Vinyasa and sweat like crazy. I had to experiment with several mats before I found one where i didn’t slip all over the place from sweating. So I get it. It feels good and I sweat out lots of impurities. But I think there’s a point of diminishing returns. From what I’ve read and what friends have told me it’s “normal” to maybe get a little dizzy or nauseous during Bikram. You see that has no appeal to me.Like I said, if I really really want an intense sweat I’ll jump in a sauna. My humble opinion.

I don’t do Bikram, I have but don’t. I think 105 is a bit too hot but I did really enjoy the bikram yoga but choose a Vinyasa style for myself. We heat our studio to 90/95 degrees. I love it and would always choose a heated class over a non heated class. From October thru May it is dry here and feels really good. The summer months we sweat way more but due to the humidity.

[QUOTE=daves007;87218]“The heat also helps you sweat. Sweating is one of the most important mechanisms of natural healing, since it enables the body to release toxins, metabolic debris, and excess fluids. It also gives the kidneys an dliver some much needed rest because their usual burden of detoxifying and purifying the blood is lessened. The skin is the largest elimination organ of the human body, and the more you sweat, the more toxins you release. Besides,it feels so good to just let the sweat pour out of you!” Baron Baptiste[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Dave, and sorry Baron, but sweating does not detoxify the body. Here are links to several articles that debunk this myth. First some quotes to get you started. Links follow:

"Myth 1. Yoga helps you sweat out toxins.
The problem with the phrase “sweating out toxins” is that our bodies sweat to help keep us cool, not to eliminate waste (that’s the job of your kidneys, liver and digestive tract). When you sweat, you release water, salt and electrolytes, not toxins. As Monica Reinagel, MS, LDN, CNS, HuffPost blogger, told The Huffington Post in a previous article, “The best way to help your body get the toxins out is to put fewer in.”

“your sweat glands are not part of your body’s primary and very capable detox system”

“After being broken down by your liver, toxins are excreted as either blood or bile, which are ultimately filtered by your kidneys and intestines, respectively, and leave the body in urine and feces, respectively. [B]Sweat really isn’t part of this equation[/B].”

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/6-hot-yoga-myths-debunked.html

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6013/Hot-or-Not-Untangling-Fact-From-Fiction-in-Hot-Yoga.html

http://www.fitnessadvisory.org/2013/06/14/dont-get-burned-by-hot-yoga-myths/

Lot’s more if you just google “Hot Yoga myths”

[QUOTE=shumanfoo;87217]Well guys, I did a very quick Google search on Bikram. Pros and Cons. Sorry to say yogandy, no one seemed to have your concern for the environment.[/QUOTE]

No need to say sorry, Shu. I know there is very little awareness of this issue. That’s why I’m trying to bring it up. I’m appalled more people haven’t discussed it. I’m starting a campaign to boycott Hot Yoga classes and all yoga classes that unnecessarily overheat the practice rooms. I’m sure I’ll get some movement before long. Any sensible people with concern for our environment will be concerned once what is happening is brought to their attention. Anyhow, I’m not so worried; Hot Yoga is a fad, nothing more. There is already so much negative press about it’s bad effects on the body that before long it will fade out; ten years from now people won’t believe they used to do such a silly thing. But I’ll do my best to hasten its demise.

In the meantime, I’m not entirely alone. Here’s a great article by another concerned yogi, or yogini, actually. Her article is aptly entitled “Hot Yoga: Polluting the Planet One Class at a Time.”

And here’s another that looks at Hot Yoga from the point of view of the traditional ethics of the Yamas as a form of hoarding, which is certainly is. The ethical aspect of Hot Yoga is something that seems to be utterly lost on its proponents and practitioners. Maybe this article will help to clear that up:

Stopping hot yoga isn’t going to do anything for the enviorment. The earth heats and cools. Science. I think you should go after air conditioning.

[QUOTE=daves007;87226]The earth heats and cools. Science.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Dave, I’m not quite sure I follow. Are you suggesting that global warming is a natural effect of the normal heating and cooling of the earth? And is your one world follow up, “science,” a suggestion that this is a scientific fact? It’s hard to understand if you don’t speak in full sentences. In any case, if that is what you mean, I guess I’d have to point out that the preponderance of environmental scientists seem to believe that global warming is caused by the burning of fossil fuels. The practice of Hot Yoga will naturally increase the burning of fossil fuels. Stopping it will reduce the burning of fossil fuels, and hence will be good for the environment.

As for air conditioning, I’m afraid that, like automobiles, it is to entrenched a part of our society to do much about. Hot Yoga, on the other hand, is a relatively new phenomenon and will not be missed, except by its practitioners, who can quickly replace it with other, less injurious, equally enjoyable forms of yoga.