ISO Help with hip pain

Hey everybody -

I’m new to this forum but I’ve been practising yoga for several years (lots of classes with some amazing teachers plus some occasional home practise).

I’ve recently been having trouble with my lower back and hip. I was hoping that yoga could help me to heal the trouble spots, but after reading a couple of other posts I’m a bit confused about whether I should be doing hip openers, backbends, or simply resting for a few weeks (argh!). I’ve given up running and soccer while I spend some time repairing, but I can’t give up my job - which involves a lot of sitting at a computer or a microscope (I can sit still for an hour straight), or lugging around heavy equipment outside (cool job that I have!).

In the past, I’ve used a kneeling chair, which seemed to alleviate some of the symptoms when I had to sit still for long periods.

The hip pain is in my left hip, at the back of the pelvis (there’s a bit of a dint in my flesh there, where my buttocks rolls around to the front of my hip). I have trouble with hip openers and lifting my leg without getting a crunchy, grindy sound.

The back pain is just kind of a general dull ache, although I did twinge something a couple of weeks ago (and spent most of the Labor Day weekend flat on my back - got a lot of reading done though!).

I’m thinking about taking a special class for back pain/massage/physical therapy/swimming. It’s hard for me to do no physical activity at all…

This is kind of getting long, so I’ll leave it at that and look forward to all of your wonderful suggestions!

Cheers,

buggirl

Hi Buggirl,

I would have liked to know your age, but not knowing it I am going to assume certain things. First of all, I am not a medical doctor and it does sound to me that you need some medical and expert advice on your problem as well. However, I shall offer some advice based on similar cases in my own yoga classes.

I have a few ladies with similar symptoms who are suffering from osteoporosis in their hips and lower backs(they are well in their forties and fifties). If it is the case then you should be very cautious when doing back benders and asanas where you place too much strain (weight) on your hips. Over the years I have found that many of the side bending asanas, the butterfly and all its variations, the leg rotation (chakra padasana), the raised leg asana, the universal spinal twist (shava udarakarshanasana) and variations of the spinal twist as well as the swinging knee pose helps to aleviate the pain and strengthening the muscles in that area. But, I do think you need some extra assistance in the form of medical intervention as well.

Good luck and be kind to your hips, they are the part of your body who has to carry you forward in life. Perhaps this might ba another aspect to consider, are you afraid to move forward in life? These fears will manifest itself in the body part assosiated with that and your hip pain might be a message that it is now time to make the decisions and move on.

Love and Light

Pandara

Buggirl,

When posting these sorts of therapeutic isssues, as stated by the previous poster, it is most helpful to give us as much information about you as possible. And as also stated we do not typically give “medical advice” but rather a yogic response. Therefore it may be appropriate for you to visit with the health care practitioner of your choice before selecting a way to move forward.

What you describe sounds like an issue with the Sacro-Iliac joint. I’ll spare you the anotomical references. If you have some loose ligaments around the joint and/or the SI joint is unstable it is important to practice asana in a very specific way. Additionally one who wanted to mind such an injury or dis-ease would have to make some dietary changes.

Best to work with a well trained teacher who has experience in therapeutics. A special class, assuming the instructor is well trained in therapeutics, would be marvelous.

Thanks guys, your comments have been very helpful. I’ve been taking it easy for the last couple of days and doing some gentle stretching. I’ll take myself to a professional medical type within the next week and check out the special yoga for back care class. (Hopefully it’s not osteoporosis - I’m only 33 years old! ;))

Thanks again,

buggirl

Unlkely to be osteoporosis based on what you are describing and with the assumption you take in the appropriate diet.

Keep in mind, one may have osteoporosis AND that NOT be what is going on in your SI.

Hi buggirl,

glad to be of assistance and I agree, 33 is a bit young for osteo. Trust your poblem will be solved soon.