Jiva versus Atman

Naamste All,

I am busy reading [I]Yoga from Shore to Shore[/I] by Swami Satyananda. In it he mentions that [B][I]jiva is the individual awareness and Atman is the cosmic awareness[/I][/B], but doesn’t really expand much on this. Awareness is for me central to yoga and most of you would have deducted from my posts already that building awareness is key for me to everything.

I have tried to get more info on the net, but most of the articles doesn’t really satisfy, they are either very vague or they just don’t give any explanation.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as it has intrigued me greatly and somehow somewhere it rings true for me, but I need more info on why and how Swamiji came to this conclusion.

Hi,

As far as I know, [I]Jiva[/I] or [I]Jivatman [/I]means the individual Self of a living creature, when you consider a living entity, it is close to what we call in the West sometimes the monad.

Basically, [I]Atman[/I] means the Self, it can be considered as individual ([I]Jivatman[/I]), universal or immanent ([I]Atman[/I]), and transcendent ([I]Paramatman[/I]). The word [I]Atman[/I] can be used for these different aspects.

It is some vedantic terminology.

Philippe

[quote=Pandara;15935]Naamste All,

I am busy reading [I]Yoga from Shore to Shore[/I] by Swami Satyananda. In it he mentions that [B][I]jiva is the individual awareness and Atman is the cosmic awareness[/I][/B], but doesn’t really expand much on this. Awareness is for me central to yoga and most of you would have deducted from my posts already that building awareness is key for me to everything.

[/quote]

Hi Pandara,
Great question.
The way I interprets this is as follows:
Jiva is this consciousness in this life time, in this incarnation, i.e. the consciousness crafted by samskaras of this life time, & we who only know of Maya are identified by the limitations of our gross & subtle bodies.
Atma is cosmic consciousness. Jiva is something which perishes (or merges with Atma) when you die, Atma is eternal.

A truly realised individual knows his Atma.

When someone dies Hindus say ? ?there is no Jiva in his body, may his Atma now experience peace??

Hope all this helps.
Namaste,
Love,
Fin

Actually [I]Jiva[/I] can be found with two meanings in Indian literature, that’s why it might be confusing:

• the living creature including all the aspects (for instance body, energy, mind…atman) …
  • the individual Self ([I]Jivatman[/I]) of an entity.

According to the traditions, [I]Jivatman[/I] can be “bound” roaming in [I]Prakriti[/I] (Nature), the symbol is the [I]Hamsa[/I], the goose often translated as swan, in Upanishads. In Advaita Vedanta it is illusory, only [I]Atman[/I] is real. For others like Sri Aurobindo, [I]Jivatman[/I] is always free and pure like [I]Purusha[/I] in Yoga Sutra, unbound but it has some emanation in [I]Prakriti[/I].

Philippe

From Vedanta pov:

What is moonlight ?

Reflected sunlight, in other words the moon borrows light from the sun. The moon is not self luminous. Similarly Jiva borrows consciousness from Atman or the individual awareness is the reflection of the cosmic awareness. This reflected awareness (Cidabhasa in Sanskrit) is ego. The moon turns the sunlight into moonlight, similarly the Maya turns the cosmic awareness into individual awareness, from paramatman (brahman) to jivataman. Without the sunlight the moonlight won’t exist, similarly the existence of jiva proves the existence of Atman.

So the existence or awareness or consciousness of Anatta & not Anatta itself is Atman the higher self. This is how the Taittreya Upanishad explains Atman, as “Satyam jnanam anantam brahma” where satyam is absolute unconditional existence, jnanam is unabbreviated knowledge & anantam is infinite (not limited to space, form & time).

[QUOTE=Fin;15973]the consciousness crafted by samskaras of this life time[/QUOTE]

Hello Fin :slight_smile:

You mean to say in this life time free-will doesn’t exist ?

Dear All,

thank you for the time and effort to give your insights, it is much appreciated. I have made few discoveries in other books as well over the past few days and your insights coupled with what I have read has brought greater awareness for me abouth my original question. :slight_smile:

[quote=PatR;15982]From Vedanta pov:

What is moonlight ?

Reflected sunlight, in other words the moon borrows light from the sun. The moon is not self luminous. Similarly Jiva borrows consciousness from Atman or the individual awareness is the reflection of the cosmic awareness.

[/quote]

This is a great picture. In esoteric christianity, Atman is Christ, and Jiva is the individual soul. There is really no conflict here. Non christians are in difficulty with christianity because the hystorical figure of Jesus gets in the way of their understanding of the true nature of Christ. But exactly this was the point of Jesus’ birth and life, to make God’s (as Atman/Christ is an aspect of God/Brahman) existance, presence observable for an age almost totally shut to transcendental, spiritual. We need to realize, that the world as it is today was shaped by the western culture, (with all the bad things it brought, but there is never advancement without conflict), as result of the development of free individual consciousness, and today’s human rights, justice, and general wellfare resulting from industrial (XIXth ct.) and IT revolutions (XXth ct.) would never been possible without christianity. Western culture was mainly christian, from the time of early christianity, up until the XXth century, and even the latest and greatest achivements are based on how this christianly shaped people’s minds and hearts, both in esoeteric, hidden but direct ways, and by reactions to the church’s exoteric way. So, while asessing that the truths about man and the world, in hindu/eastern wisdom are true, these truths could not ever became widespread, if there wasn’t the western world, and it’s religion based on the Person of God made flesh and bone. The eastern wisdom was restricted to mystery schools, to certain people, and never had the chance becoming mainstream thinking. For that to happen, it was necessary what we have witnessed through the last two thousands of years. And even if the ways of traditional christianity seem unfitting for many, and they turn towards eastern wisdom, it is just the sign that those people are ready for a deeper spirituality, and part of this deeper spirituality will be the real comprehension of what The Christ Event is, and how all works according to the divine plan.

You mean to say in this life time free-will doesn’t exist ?

This again is a very good question. I am sure it exist, but I also know that it is not that obvious. Especially today’s science is scpetical regarding this freedom, and I would say, in it’s field the lack of freedom is true.

[quote=PatR;15982]

You mean to say in this life time free-will doesn’t exist ?[/quote]

hi Pat & Hubert,

All incarnate souls arrive endowed with free will. Some exhaust it quickly (living in a fast lane) & are then chained to fate others use it to direct life & fulfil the many demands of Karmas (theirs & others around them).

As long as we live an embodied life we are all participants in the play of nature, for most of us Maya remains with us as long as we remain embodied.
For me my Jiva is a slice of my consciousness borrowed from my Atman. In moments of deep peace when the body, mind & spirit is appeased I get a glimpse of my Atman.

Namaste
Love,
Fin