Jumps - surya namaskara

Hi everyone!

I am trying to figure out how to turn my desparate jumps during the surya namaskara (I am doing vinyasa flow (ashtanga) yoga) into smoother transitions… does anybody have any hints on how to do that?

Thanks so much!
Abisababa

I don’t know the details of Ashtanga vinyasa, but Xela would be a great resource for you to ask–she is an Ashtangi and has recently finished her training program. You can send her a PM though her profile here.

Also, you could check out Richard Freeman’s videos on YouTube–he may give specific directions within the practices he is doing in his videos.

Take care,
Nichole

Thanks a lot! Will do!
Abisababa

arm balances,gentle down-dogs ( creating space and traction, not compression,head & neck relaxed),crow pose…it certainly is fun!!

you can check out david swenson’s video-’ pimary series’ or whatever. he gives variations and tips for a variety of abilitires,variations and tips.

also balance and strength- you can build the latter through handstands against a wall, and the former through mental focus and concentration ( you can look straight ahead etc) when you do the jump do it as slowly and in as controlled a fashion as possible. it should be effortless and with ease.

1)meditation is your soul practice- [I]the spiritual level[/I]
2)pranayama is like good for connecting, noursihing the mind and emotions and noot great unless one is under guidance or proficient or prepared- [I]the subtle level[/I]
3)asana is for body, and will help bind with No.2/&mind & emotions- [I]the gross [/I]or physical

what you seek to do in yoga to some extent is connect on all these layers or levels through 1-2-3 and toegther.radiating outwards from the Self to the external/the Cosmos. this is my take on it.

when you work from No.1,effects here can radiate outwards, but progress can seem slow unless one has the necessary tools and appropriate guidance from someone familiar with all the tools and able to guide.

this is a rough sketch btw. verfiy with your own experience, guide your own journey. and take increasing responsiblity for it.

actually on a deeper level within the patanjali paradigm and the bigger yoga picture the limbs all intersect and interdepend on each other. if one radiates a loving thought outwards then our trikonasana sshould actually get better. this is certainly the theory and of course effortless and steady asana is surely easier with a calm and steady mind, and set of emotions.