Knees problems and intensive yoga practice

Dear Mukunda,

A year ago I was due to attend a 4 weeks intensive Yoga Teacher Traing course, but unfortunately due to some problems with my knees I had to cancel it. I suddenly started to have pain in my left knee when walkimg and a few weeks later on my right one. I went to see an orthopedic and also had X-ray and MRI scan and the dyagnosis was of Hyperthophy of the Body of Hoffa or inflammation of the Fat Pad. I was prescribe 2 weeks of antinflammatory tablets, 3 months of physiotherapy and swimming.at the second check-up, 4 months later, there was a considerable improvement and the doctor advised me I could start again light physical activity and continue swimming. In the last months I have been walking a lot, have been swimming and a light yoga practice. I would like now to join the Teacher Traing course in 3 months time. but the cold weather seems to have awakened a bit the pain and inflammation of the knee and I’m worried that a 4 weeks intensive practice would make it worse or could cause further damages. Could you please give me some advise? Also are there any particular positions that could make my condition worse. It has always been my dream to teach yoga and it would be very frustrating to give it up for a knee inflammation.

Thanks.

Fairy

More basic thoughts are needed to address this. Some styles of yoga increase joint inflammation. I would recommend avoiding that. Your history shows that whatever style you did is contraindicated. Often the emotional and energetic benefits are so great that students ignore the physical detriments. In this case you cannot be that thoughtless. Be intelligence and use your insight intuition muscles instead of phsyical ones. It is pretty obvious what styles i am worried about all those with repetitive sequences.
If you really love yoga find a gentler style to teach one that does not destroy your body. You are too young to be worried about joint pain caused from yoga. namastex

Thanks for your reply and advise. The type of yoga I practice is the Sivananda style, therefore classic Hatha Yoga.I think this yoga style is quite gentle but it is true that sometimes you can push your body too far if you think of the benefits of the practice and don’t listen to your body.

Fairy

indeed one needs to be cautious and avoid being rajasic or to push pitta. namaste m