Marijuana and yoga

i find they go hand in hand, just like dope and video games, dope and ice cream, dope and movies…

i find my self realyl getting into the mood for stretching cause it realyl feels good and i find my self getting excited about learning when im high.

externally speaking i cant imagine anyone having an issue with it.

but wht about internally?

im beginning microcosmic orbit as taught by mantak chia and i do find my self having an easier time focusing and lowering my mind on the acupressure points when im sober.

and i have been told by one person that marijuana specifically disconects you from your energy body.

so just curious, what do you guys think?

I’ve stopped smoking dope years a go and really feel better. It’s true that while doing yoga on dope one can experience body and prana better, but generally in long terms, dope (as any intoxicant) has effects opposite to effects of yoga. It took years for me to recover from effects dope left on my body and psychic. Dope destroys those very subtle brain cells which are responsible for attaining higher states of consciousness. Everyone who experiments with dope (or any drug) can tell that first experiences are the best. That’s because those braincells are still there, and untouched. But with constant intake of drug you “rape” those cells and force them to provide psychic experience, which ultimately destroys them. When person stops taking the drug, but continues pracitising yoga, body starts to regenerate those fine brain structures. Only after they are repaired they can evolve further, which results in expansion of consciousness. And this is the right way, because when consciousness is expanded naturally it remains that way (opposite to expansion caused by drugs, which remains only as long as the dose can last). I’ve mentioned only physical level, but this whole story also has it’s pranic part. let’s just say that any toxine present in body blocks nadis and prana. So with yoga practises we purify and purify (we literally remove the obstacles in our nadis). What’s the use of doing purification and simultaneously poisoning the body?
Hope this was useful.

smoking is bad we can all agree on that…but what about eating marijuana?

i havent read of a single negative side effect of eating it…could you or anyone find any information on negative side effects on eating it? (yogic or otherwise)

from my understanding theres nothing toxic about it.

hmmm…lets eat chemicals!!! :roll:

Marijuana belongs to tamasic category.

That means that it shouldn’t be taken under a yogic practice. It is toxic, braincell killing and mind deranging.

However it has the capacity of stimulating some nadis. It’s pranic effect after just having practiced asanas or pranayama is outstanding. I’ve read that sometimes it is used for opening specific nadis, as a beverage named Bhang.

Despite this, by no means it should be used on your own. It should be your guru (in the case you have, otherwise forget about it) who would authorize and guide you to have it.

Hope it helped.

Namaste

anything we put into our body is chemicals, and the spiritual processes that yoga can induce are caused by chemicals, too. [though yoga is a far superior way of getting there, i’m just saying…]

there are many chemicals in oranges, and we can isolate them and then say “why eat those chemicals” but actually you’re just eating an orange.

i think the way that is termed is a little too microscopic considering we are not dealing with a synthetic chemical drug, but rather a natural plant taken straight from the planet.

this is completely untrue, if we are talking about marijuana, THC, not the carcinogens released while smoking… not only does it not kill brain cells, it has been deomstrated time and time again to help improve brain cell flexibility, it also kills tumors!

the smoke is what is toxic, although a study just came out claiming that smoked marijuana does not cause cancer. It definitely does cause other problems though.

Now what it does to the brain, is it does rewire the way the brain is used to functioning if you either use very high doses too often, or become a habitual user to the point of being desensitized to being high.

this could be construed as “damage” in a sense, if you do not want your brain functioning with THC in it… though the body does have natural THC receptors. so an issue of balance is important.

anyway I do not know how it relates to yoga. The most flexible I have been is while stoned, not only that but I really payed attention to what I was doing and got very into it, and put my ego on hold.

But my personal experience was that smoking it messed my lungs up and depleted my energy far too much for my liking. Eating was a very favorable approach, although I did not experiment enough with eating to discern the effects on general energy flow.

it is more than okay to discuss cannabis pros and cons from the context of spiritual traditions and practices, but it’s important not to spread misinformation.

cannabis is a medicine and to many a spiritual plant. it does not mean it is free from risk, but in comparison to alcohol and tobacco (which i would consider malevolent, and alcohol is most certainly a poison) it is virtually harmless.

misinformatoins help fuel the drug war which punishes millions of innocent people each year for simple posession of plant life. some are irresponsible with it and treat it with disrespect, some are dedicated shamans… regardless, it is very important to spread accurate informatoin about the plant at all times from my perspective, even if you are against use, to not spread out untruths, so that the harm of both the drug and the war itself can be reduced.

people need to know the best facts in such a scandalously dire “issue” facing the world and most of its nations. lives are lost because of misinformation, the cost is astonishing and sad. we can’t expect society to be truthful, so the obligatoin is our hands.

[sorry for off topicness]

anyway, I am yogically an extreme novice, but my experience with cannabis + yoga has been good. I would personally do it once in a while in a very serious manner, being mindful of the energy it generates and trying to maximize the benefit.

If I found it unhelpful then I would stop, as my only criterion is progression, but I doubt it would be smoked, either eaten [which is fine for you physically] or vaporized.

I haven’t used it in a few months though, and sobriety has been very beneficial. But I have found benefits to using as well.
moderation is the key if you do. respect it as a teacher plant.

-my perspective.

the big danger here is the user, not the plant.

Ok. THC may not be toxic, may be much less harmful than tobacco, alcohol, junk food, city contamination, TV, etc… , it may make your life happy, and moderation may be the key (something very difficult for the vast majority of people)

… BUT …

It belongs to tamasic stuff, it veils conciousness, it is not compatible with higher goals of yoga. The fact that asanas are pleasant and well performed during a high does not show nothing. Yoga is much more than asanas. The goal of yoga is gaining Sattwa (and finally going even beyond Sattwa), tamasic substances are hurdles in the way to Sattwa.

Just have it if your guru tells you.

Namaste

[QUOTE=hadma;2917]Dope destroys those very subtle brain cells which are responsible for attaining higher states of consciousness. Everyone who experiments with dope (or any drug) can tell that first experiences are the best. That’s because those braincells are still there, and untouched. But with constant intake of drug you “rape” those cells and force them to provide psychic experience, which ultimately destroys them. [/QUOTE]

That is not true; marijuana does not destroy brain cells.

marijuana is tamasic if it is done habitually, the harm is in the smoke and in doing it on any sort of set frequency, because it will open kundlini to an extent and burst open the third eye and allow you to have deep levels of wide awake meditation in the delta brainwaves, negating much need for sleep

however whether it makes you psychic or hedonistic depends upon your inclinations, the smoking itself is suicide to the aura and not super good for the lungs,

hence it is very FOOLISH AND STUPID TO [B]SMOKE ANYTHING[/B]

there are many good things to be said about occasional cannabis use but it does not mix well with being a yogi, it really does not

[QUOTE=melx143;23758]That is not true; marijuana does not destroy brain cells.[/QUOTE]

Can you share your data on this? All the evidence I have seen suggests the opposite.

cannabis flushes the subconscious mind clean and is healthy as an adaptation to the insane levels of stress and mind pollution in our society, its earth vibration is why it is anti-cancerous , even in contrast to the smoke taken in

it is good for the brain in that it causes the ability to pereceive pain to be greatly diminished even days after you have last smoked, however it is not good for concentration and focus as its aim is to put you into meditation and plant yourself into a stationary state of being, and this is why people exhibit confusion

data is a very strange thing because it subverts intuition and omniscience, and can be bent with agendas

for instance it is truth that marijuana kills cancer even if you smoke it, but it is truth it is bad for you to smoke it, however, data would have them label it a carcinogen, when, if eaten in particular, or vaporized IS NO SUCH THING

a good deal many studies grace my recollection that prove marijuana is good for brain, but i am not interested in finding them, just in showing what i already know.

if one is not a true true true yogi in time it will dull the senses and burn the energy conduits out. this is why it is a tool and tools can be used improperly if given to the wrong people.

Dream Yogi, my question was not directed at you. I’m sorry if I gave that impression. My question was directed at melx143 who indicated that marijuana does not kill brain cells.

smoking weed weakens the aura and allows negative energies to have a closer connection with you… and destroys brain memory

seen it a zillion times and nothing you say will convince me otherwise

if some of you need suffering … then that is what you chose

please dont impose it on others with misinformation

Brain Memory is not needed in meditation.

Yes it can bring negative energies towards you.

There are a few things that can attract negative energies

You are seen as a bright attractive light in the stream of meditation and are open to more negative energies the brighter your light becomes. (through right practice) So either way you have to negotiate the negative energies.

The weed can help relax those who find it difficult to relax. I think you need to be a seasoned smoker of it to understand how it can help.

It has its place in meditation in the east

Kind Regards Kareng

I don’t think pot can help me in any way as far as my spiritual practice goes. I think that I need to reach places inside without external mind-altering substances.

Notice how I said “I,” I don’t think it’s my place to say it can’t help anyone.

Smoking anything is bad, so if you’re going to use it, make some cannabutter and cook with it, or some bhang.

Practicing yoga can enhance the marijuana experience, but smoking pot can be harmful to the yoga practice. Anyone who has had a true awakening can tell you that the psychedelic experience pales in comparison. I agree that pot smokers in general tend to become deluded and tamasic in nature. But I admit that I enjoy a little toke on occasion.

I think it was Alduous Huxley who wrote a book called The Marijuana Papers. He studied prisoners who were given pot. He concluded that the quality of the experience depends on “set and setting”. Set is your personal frame of mind, and setting is the the environment in which you take the drug. Under the right circumstances, pot can be cool, but habitual use or using it like alcohol isn’t good.

hmm dats very difficult situation

I believe that the earliest depiction of Lord Shiva shows him smoking a spliff ?

well aghori’s smoke!

By intaking substances like alcohol or drugs our astral body getting little far on the sky (that’s why it is called getting HIGH:)). It feels very nice for the first time since you getting out of you body. Smell of those substances attracts lower level creatures. After some drugs experiments people tend to see horrible things, which represent lower worlds, and many experience panic attacks for the rest of the life (myself), which represent interaction from “lower creatures” with your astral body. They will smell the substance and they will be always waiting on you in the astral (just like langoliers) and will spoil your meditation or astral trip.