Asana as a journey

Ever go to practice yoga and form a mental image of what you were “going to do”? Ever see an instructor “do” and asana and make an intention to “do” that too? Ever notice that what really happens seems to occur despite your mental chatter? Recently I have been practicing with Tratak - a candle gazing technique in which the candle’s image is received by the eyes. In practicing this technique, it is easy to see when the mind is projecting. How can I see anything then? It is fun to practice asana in this way too - once finding the “edge” of the pose, letting go of the effort and observing in this Zen-like way of bare attention. Well, it would be fun to talk more about this and other ways people use yoga to practice attention and awareness. Please respond!

When I am fully into an asana pose and holding it in a “zone” my mind becomes very clear. Sometimes it is an empty clear and other times it becomes clear on a problem or subject I have been holding in my mind. When it is empty clear I am able to hold the pose for a very long time with no thought of the pose…I just am holding it…sometimes it goes no deeper than that…that is all… I just hold the pose…Other times I enter into a deeper state…either way it is very peaceful.

Dear Rumi,

Thank you for your post. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali state that Yoga Asana is both comfortable and steady (having the qualities of Sthira and Sukha)(II46), and that a yoga pose is mastered by relaxation of effort, to create a lessening of the natural tendency for restlessness, and identifying oneself as living within the infinite stream of life. (II47). From that perfection of yoga posture, duality ceases to be a disturbance. (II48). (Interpretation of Sutras from Yogi Mukunda)

You are describing the transformation of asana, the outer journey, into meditation, the inner journey. Very beautiful, indeed. I know you are a regular meditator. Your comments and input are most welcome.

The regular practice of observing one’s tendencies, and especially of observing the breath and it’s relationship with the fluctuating mental states, and seeing how these things show up during the challenge of holding an asana provide an opportunity to move deeper into our own nature and experience the state of I AM. Meanwhile, it is a little like shedding the skin of the onion, peeling off layer after layer of expectation, criticism, desire etc., which veil the experience of “being” in the asana.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chandra on 2002-02-13 15:40 ]</font>