Mutra (Urine) Neti

I was wondering if anybody in this forum practices mutra neti? Would be nice to hear your experience on how it feels, what benefits you got. What made you go for it?

Would also be nice to know more about this from members who know anything about this but have not tried themself. I just read this while I was exploring stuff on the net.

Mutra Neti makes me think it should be even more beneficial since it is natural. It is warm and it has salts just like Jal neti with salt. Please let me know what are your thoughts?

I know it as [I]swamootra neti[/I]. Have never tried it myself, think I am too much of a pissy to do it. :slight_smile:

What I do want to add here and I think this is very important. During a yoga workshop a few years ago this neti was mentioned and the teacher said to us that if you want to do this neti, then you must be sure that you live a very clean and sattvic life. No unnatural products should be taken and all your food and drinks should be clean, organic and as fresh as possible to really reap the benefits of [I]swamootra neti[/I].

[QUOTE=Pandara;21303]I know it as [I]swamootra neti[/I]. Have never tried it myself, think I am too much of a pissy to do it. :slight_smile:

What I do want to add here and I think this is very important. During a yoga workshop a few years ago this neti was mentioned and the teacher said to us that if you want to do this neti, then you must be sure that you live a very clean and sattvic life. No unnatural products should be taken and all your food and drinks should be clean, organic and as fresh as possible to really reap the benefits of [I]swamootra neti[/I].[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply on this Pandara. Really helpful. I believe my diet is already very close to sattvic. But now since you mentioned this, I plan to document everything I eat so I can actually confirm it is sattvic.

I intend to try it out 1 of the weekends in next couple of weeks. I will surely post my experience here.

How long does it take to get a human body to have sattvic outputs after starting a purely sattvic diet (this probably includes skin care products, no?) and following stringent tapas practices, etc?

Wow. I did not even know this existed until just now.
Maybe, MAYBE, MAYBE, should there ever be some reason that this is indicated, and I have resigned myself to life at some Indian ashram and have purified myself to the simplest capacities necessary, I would do this.
Maybe.

Good questions, perhaps someone might have some idea, personally I think I am still far from purified and sattvic, so for now I will happily go with that as this is a neti that I would not like to try! I’ll use this as my excuse. :slight_smile:

I know very few people might have tried this and may not have much information I am looking for. But I have been talking to some people and doing some reading, using my head.

How important is it to have a complete 100% sattvic diet before you can try a mutra neti? Also are there any negative effects if this is tried without having a sattvic diet?

Yalgaar,

Why don’t you try and let us know. :wink: Apart from the very sketchy info I have received a few years ago from this visiting swami during the workshop, I can’t give you more than that and I think very few of the other people here might be able to give you more as well. This is not a general practice, so info will be far and in between.

[QUOTE=Pandara;21340]Yalgaar,

Why don’t you try and let us know. :wink: Apart from the very sketchy info I have received a few years ago from this visiting swami during the workshop, I can’t give you more than that and I think very few of the other people here might be able to give you more as well. This is not a general practice, so info will be far and in between.[/QUOTE]

Liked mentioned before I will surely let evrybody know here my experience when I try it, which I intend to try very soon. Surely in next 2 weeks.

Still trying to gather all facts as much as I can before doing it.

Hey, have you seen your doctor about your wrist yet? Ask him/her about potential side effects.

What exactly do you try to accomplish by it ?

When I first performed shank prakshalana to share an example, I was doing it because they said, it will be a huge relief, a great change and purification. I did it and I felt the same. I was having a very balanced and moderate diet back than and also young and impressionable.

So, while I respect and admire your dedication, I have to ask: why ?
I am really interested.

A few thoughts:

• “Natural” doesn’t always mean healthy. Arsenic & lead are natural substances.
  • Our bodies have an elimination system for a reason - to eliminate substances that become toxic if retained.
  • Healthy urine is sterile, however it is a great breeding ground for bacteria. Makes me think it would be a great culture for sinus infections.

[QUOTE=Techne;21407]Hey, have you seen your doctor about your wrist yet? Ask him/her about potential side effects.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you asked about my wrist in this thread. Would be nice to stick to topics related to the original thread.

But since you asked, I have not seen the doctor yet about my wrist. Hopefully I find time to schedule an appointment and see him. Since I have not been doing any asanas that are weight bearing on my wrists since almost a week now, my writs feel great already. I do not feel any pain at all. I am sure it will come back if I do those asanas again. Hopefully I find a good solution to this soon.

[QUOTE=Hubert;21419]What exactly do you try to accomplish by it ?

When I first performed shank prakshalana to share an example, I was doing it because they said, it will be a huge relief, a great change and purification. I did it and I felt the same. I was having a very balanced and moderate diet back than and also young and impressionable.

So, while I respect and admire your dedication, I have to ask: why ?
I am really interested.[/QUOTE]

Hubert,

Thanks for your post. I grew up hearing how great yoga is and all good things about yoga; how it could change your life; how it could keep you very healthy and happy. How it could work and also make you age much slower. Point is I grew up hearing great things about yoga. But I never actaully practiced it except maybe did very little of Shirshasana. But that was indeed not a serious intent. Also I also grea up thinking yoga was not for common people but more of people who are sadhus and sanyasis.

Later during my life I had many health problems, nothing serious but problems that were coming in my way to enjoy very fit healthy life style. My father actually introduced me to “Ramdevjis” yoga practice. He taught me all the asanas and pranayamas that are taught by Ramdevji. Once I started practicing it on and off, I started to get the first hand experience of all the benefits of yoga. I started to believe that what I have heard like million times as a growing kid is actually true and also realized that this is not only for sadhus and sanyasis but can be used by anybody and everybody who wants to live healthy. Well this was just the beginning.

I personally love gain knowledge, it could be any subject. Since this was very interesting and it also actually was helping me in my health problems, I got more and more passionate about this. Started to read as much as I can, gain more and more knowledge so I can practice this the right way. The more I understand and learn about yoga, the more I realize how much more there is to this. I have definitely changed my attitude to gain knowledge about yoga now. Since I have accepted that there is going to be no end of learning about this. It is going to be a journey.

Sorry about very long post to answer the very simple question you asked; but I really did not think there was anyway I could answer this right without all this background. So now coming to the original question which I believe will make more sense when I answer after providing my background and way of thinking; I wanted to try mura neti just becuase I want to learn and experience eveyrthing about yoga, or should I rather say as much as I can about yoga in this very short life we have. I know I know, life seems very very long; but to me there is so much knowledge and all that life overs, it is indeed very short. I want to try mutra neti just becuase something like this exist. Just becuase I read about the benefits it can provide. Just so that I can have a first hand experience of it. So I can share it with others as well.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

[QUOTE=Braxton;21443]A few thoughts:

• “Natural” doesn’t always mean healthy. Arsenic & lead are natural substances.
  • Our bodies have an elimination system for a reason - to eliminate substances that become toxic if retained.
  • Healthy urine is sterile, however it is a great breeding ground for bacteria. Makes me think it would be a great culture for sinus infections.[/QUOTE]

I get the point. I agree with you.

But it has still been practiced for a reason.

Just like I had mentioned, I have tried the “Mutra Neti” today. I am going to share my experience with you guys. I am sure many of you might find it amusing could have a good laugh, some of you might find it helpful if you plan to do it yourself as well.

Based on what I had read on how should one practice this, I attempted it to do it accordingly in the best way. Out of all that I had read about this practice, the most important ones that I believed were 1) Sattvic diet. 2) First Urine in the morning.

1. Sattvic Diet: I have not got enough time to read all about this and have a sattvic diet lifestyle either. But I believe since I am vegetarain that would make me quite sattvic if not 100%. I still want to mention that I do have onions and garlic in my diet sometimes which I have read are tamsic food. I do intend to be 100% sattvic at some point. Just not ready yet. So basically I did this without have a 100% sattvic diet.

2. First Urine the morning: This was not possible for me either. My nostrils are uually blocked when I wake up in the morning and so I am not ready for doing any “Neti” I usually do Neti after doing some asanas and pranayamas which opens up my nostril for a more comfortable Neti.

OK so here are the details:

I woke up today morning. Had 1 full glass of hot water; 1 of my daily routine. Used the bathroom. Lost the first urine since I am sure would not be a good idea to store it and use it.

Started doing my asanas. Felt the urge to pass urine. Was almost done doing the asanas. My nostrils were quite open now after my body getting warm after the asanas. Went to the bathroom. Filled the Neti pot close to 70% with urine. Started doing Neti on the first nostril. OMG. THIS WAS SO DISGUSTING. The smell, very little taste. There is no way I could describe how disgusting the feeling was. The thought of it right now gives me a feeling to puke. Finished half of the urine so and stopped so I could do the other nostril. Pushed out all urine out of noth nostril by exhaling. The smell was killing me. My god the thought of it right now while describing this is so disgusting. I am thinking about the smeel and the taste. Started doing it on the other nostril. MUCH MORE DISGUSTING. I was so determined that no matter what I am going to complete the pot; but then I felt NO WAY, I CAN"T do this. I did complete most of it; but finally STOPPED. CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! Exhaled all urine out of both nostrils which was again smelly and taste was killing me.

LATER:
Once I was out of bathroom; I was just glad that this was over. I was glad that I completed something that I decided I will. But even after that when I would try to clear my throat or my nostrils, sinuses, I would feel the smeel and taste of urine which was disgusting. I had this smell and taste of it almost all day.

Conclusions:
The whole process of very disgusting becuase of the act itself, the smell and the taste. I do not think there were any side effects though. If I take away the disgust factor, I would say I did not find much difference between the salt water neti and mutra neti. Not sure what the long term experience would be once you practice it on regular basis. As far as I am concerned, this was too disgusting for me to do it again; definitely not soon:-D:-D Or maybe this is what I think today. Who know what I might do after a few days?? :-D:-D

Thanks for both sharings. You are a brave person. Your dedication is inspiring.

Sorry – what I meant was, “if you still have an appointment with an MD, you might use that opportunity to get info (albeit from a different perspective) on what to anticipate from this neti experiment”

Thank you so much for reporting. You have incredible resolve.

Hi Yalgaar,

Thanks for sharing, I could feel your convulsions (repulsion) while reading! :slight_smile:

On the other hand I trust that you have also learned that the first Yama, that of non-violence or ahimsa, applies to what you have done. In other words that we should at all times practice ahimsa not just towards others, but also towards ourselves and our bodies.

[QUOTE=Pandara;21502]Hi Yalgaar,

Thanks for sharing, I could feel your convulsions (repulsion) while reading! :slight_smile:

On the other hand I trust that you have also learned that the first Yama, that of non-violence or ahimsa, applies to what you have done. In other words that we should at all times practice ahimsa not just towards others, but also towards ourselves and our bodies.[/QUOTE]

Hello Pandara, you are welcome. I am glad I could describe it in details.

I beg to differ on what you thought about my experience. I have read a lot about ahimsa. There is no way I interpret my act of trying “mutra neti” an act of ahimsa. I do agree that it was kinda extreme :smiley: but I would also think there was not much of a difference between trying out “mutra neti” for the first time and doing some basic “asanas” the first time. I found both the experience a bit extreme in their own ways. To me it is all about getting used to. Not that I am saying I will be doing “mutra neti” soon. :smiley: But deep down I still strongly believe that once I try it out next time it would be less extreme than the first time. Same as anything in life including basic yoga postures. To me “Himsa” is something where one is causing pain and suffering. “Mutra Neti” is extreme but surely does not seem to me as a “himsic” act.

I would say anything and everything good we as human can achieve comes with price and inconvenience. All of that is not a “himsa” act.

Regards
Yalgaar