Neti pot question

i am looking into getting a neti pot. i have been using one of the squirting bottle versions from the chemist and can see the obvious benefits for me. but i would prefer to get a neti pot as i dont like the idea of the pressure from squirting into my sinuses.

can anyone recommend a particular neti pot that is good quality?

so far the stainless steel one at ‘HealthAndYoga’ is at the top of my list from ones i have seen on the net…

has anyone used this one?

BDD,

They are all the same. I prefer a plastic one, because you can travel with it? No problems with airport screening.

siva

I like my ceramic one 'cause it’s pretty, and it holds heat – so I can run some warm water through it before making the salt solution, and the pot doesn’t cool the solution at all.

I have to agree with Siva, they are pretty much all the same, it’s really about what you would like to have. I personally have a blue plastic one I got at my local department store for about $12, but would love to have a pretty ceramic one. :slight_smile: Either way, it gets the job done, pouring water into your nose hehe.

Choose what you like. :slight_smile: I hadn’t thought about copper holding the heat, which would feel good on the hands while holding and pouring.

BDD,

I think this depends on one’s perspective. In Purna Yoga™ there are four main elements of which nutrition/lifestyle are one.

Therefore, I personally do not advocate the use of plastics for anything that is ingested into the body. In the interest of living the yoga I teach I have opted out of plastics and find glass and ceramics to feel better in terms of my living.

It is true that the neti pot isn’t used that much, and the water runs through not in, and it may be no problem at all. True. But much like holding a cell phone right next to your brain, why do so when you can use the speakerphone?

So for me the neti pot is ceramic. If it were not I would look into a food-grade stainless steel and verify the ratio of steel to nickel by contacting the company.

I used to use a plastic water bottle with a pop top. And I don’t like the pressure either. Since that time I’ve learned more and find neti to be a letting action rather than a forcing action. It should be gentle and forcing fluid in the nostril is rarely gentle.

Those are my thoughts. Do with them as you see fit.

gordon

cheers for the comments!

i read that out of all of the materials stainless steel was the safest… on the topic of plastics etc…

is ceramic free from any toxic elements?

i read somewhere that clay isnt a good idea and most ceramic is made from clay…

I have the stainless from health and yoga and love it. The ones in ceramic are too heavy and don’t contain as much water.

anyone tried the ones from Himalayan institute? the eco neti pot or their ceramic one?

Hi,
I have also sinus infection and I have used the Stainless Neti pot of healthandyoga.Com and this is very good and effective product. You should go for it…

Remember that it is all about the gentle flow of water through the nostrils - a tea-kettle or a paper cup would be equally as effective if you use them correctly, (yes, I have made a cup out of paper and it did work). Don’t worry too much about brands. I have a ceramic one that I bought from the local co-op. It works fantastic, feels good in my hand, holds more than enough water than I need every day, and is apparently dishwasher safe (it’s carved into the bottom). Whoever made it or wherever it came from, thanks. I travel a lot and carry a very small plastic one around which is also sufficient for those needs.

What is NOT always convenient is finding SALT while traveling. I’ve been traveling the majority of the year for since the beginning of 2008 and I have bought and lost/forgotten/found myself without sea salt SO MANY TIMES. I have purchased uncountable tabletop-sized grinders simply because their small size and pack-ability was so amiable to my situation. But every time there’s a bbq? GONE! Someone hungry? GONE! That is all. Thanks for listening.