Rig Veda

Does anyone know which Book, Chapter and Verse the mention of Yoga as Yoking can be found? I ahve been looking through Griffiths translationand can’t find it

Griffith’s translation is a very bad translation. You should read the translations of Swami Dayananda Saraswati and Devi Chand to find the verses on Yoga. Also consider the Vedic anthologies, “The Holy Vedas” by Pandit Vidyalankar, and “Rig veda for the layman” by Sujoy Ghosh.

Thank you Surya Deva, I will endeavour to obtain these books but in the meantime if anyone has the answer I would really appreciate it as I am finishing an assignment that needs to be handed in next week and I wanted to reference the Veda as I have read many places that it is in the Rig Veda that the first mention of Yoga and Yoking is to be found

Surya Deva, Which Swami Dayananda Saraswati are you referring to, the one who lived in the 1800’s or the 1900’s both wrote many books I see :slight_smile:

1800’s earthpossum.

I will look through my own translations to refer you to the Yoga citations in the RV. Bear with me.

Thank You Surya Deva. I would really like to obtain my own copy of the Vedas, it is knowing which one to purchase and if it is available. I have noted that there are others who reject Griffiths and Max Mueller’s translations. I would like one that includes the IAST as well as the english translation.

Hi
is this discussion about Vedas?
I would like to know who is likely to benefit from studying vedas?
If they are merely hymns to be chanted for certain occasions, I do not see how they will help me in liberation?

• Aniket

I feel that they are more than just hymns, but not knowing Sanskrit I must rely on other scholars translations of them. Understanding the Vedas I feel could bring one to understand or somehow comprehend the meaning of our existance

If I’m not mistaken, what you are referring to as the Vedas are really the Samhitas, i.e. Rig Veda Yajur Veda, Arthava Veda. The Vedas also include the Upanishads and some other documents. As yogi1980 said, the Samhitas consist mostly of hymns and other types of prayers and incantations that were used on certain occasions. Unless you want to be a Hindu priest, I don’t think you’ll get much benefit from reading them. The Upanishads are a different story, but I don’t recommend reading them either, unless you have some prior background in Indian philosophy and culture, and some familiarity with Sanskrit. I suggest that you start with some introductory texts on Indian philosophy, and maybe read the yoga sutras. Also Wikipedia has a very good article on the Vedas.

I doubt that you’ll find any information in the Rig Veda about Yoga as “Yoking”. It’s just basic Sanskrit. The word “yoga” is derived from the root “yuj”, meaning 1 To join, unite, attach, connect, add, 2 To yoke, harness, put to.

Thank you Asuri

I am more than convinced the Rig Veda contains very profound and advanced knowledge of the highest order, but we simply cannot read it because the language it is written in so ancient and archaic we no longer have any complete dictionaries of what the words meant during the time of composition. In order to help read them the Nirukta list of obscure verbs and roots in the Vedas was created and Panini also dedicated a chapter in his Sanskrit grammar work on how to read the Vedas. If you use these two tools you can get a more accurate translation of the Rig Veda, but still not a fully comprehensive one.

The translations done by European scholars are all BS though. They do not reference the Niruka or Panini’s method on how to read the Rig Veda, rather they create their own ad-hoc method based on their ad-hoc theories of Aryan invasion in 1500BCE and read ad-hoc the Vedas to say what they want it to say. It is an embarrasement that these translations are still endorsed in modern scholarship.

Do not trust any translation that does not use the vykarana method.

Thank you Surya Deva, I am currently reading and attempting to digest, works by R L Kashyap, based on Sri Aurobindo interpretations of the Rig Veda Mantras, I have more books by Kashyap coming in the mail and the one I am reading now is titled “Secrets of Effective Work, Agni’s Guidance ( Based on Rig Veda Mantras). I did find a reference to Yug, RV 5.46.1 and in that, (Aurobindo/Kashyap transliteration) I can understand the 'Link” between what we term as Yoga -also taking into account Patanjali’s Sutras