Rusty Neti Pot

Having recently purchased a copper neti pot - which i love. Its began to go rusty. Some greenish/blue colouring in places. Is this dangerous? Is there anything i can do to prevent this?? I am writing to you from Southern Spain and don’t have access to a lot of ‘yoga’ information out here.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Namaste,

Dear John,

A brief search of the internet reveals that copper ingestion is a cause for concern, particularly when the water contains corrosive elements. It has been linked to various gastrointestinal symptoms. What follows is one abstract. You can get a great deal of information from a search on the internet “copper ingestion”.

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/1994/102-11/knobeloch-full.html

Namaste,
Chandra

Clean it off.

Thanks for the replies… I was basically wondering if this a common problem with copper neti pots.

Namaste,

get a ceramic one or stainless. Copper and water are not a good combination for container of human consumables.

In Ayurveda (ancient Eastern healing system) copper is very healing .Ayurvedic practitioners believe that drinking water purified by keeping it over night in a copper vessel will help prevent arteriosclerosisThe essential mineral copper is reputed to help balance acidity and normalize digestion and assimilation. Leave water in a copper cup overnight, then drink it in the morning.
It is also recommended for vitiligo and diabetes,etc.
I think if you clean your copper neti pot with a copper cleaner and warm soapy water it’ll be fine to use.

Try cleaning it with vinegar.

we use tamarind to clean it

Does using a neti pot help with allergies?