Seeking Patanjali's Sutras in the Purest Translation

can someone give me a link to a book of the sutras in english with no added commentary? thanks
Seeker

You may consider using Mukunda’s book " The Yoga Sutra’s of Patanjali" which we have been using for our discussion.
Namaste

Lavina
I am looking for one in its purest form, but written in the english language of course

Dearest tubeseeker,

The purest form of the sutras would be the sanskrit any translation would be subject to interpretation. I do hope that you find what you are looking for. Perhaps posting your request as a new thread may catch the attention to someone who would have the answer to your question.
Namaste

I found this page interesting.

yogash-citta-vrtti-nirodhah

Sometimes we build elaborate schemes of tasks to be done so we can achieve a goal while the goal is really only at an arm’s lenght.

Dear Hubert,

I was fortunate to take a weekend Sanskrit workshop with Vyaas last year. It was such an amazing learning experience … by the end of the workshop, I was able to recognize and say each of the sanskrit alphabet. Although, I am quite rusty now since I have not been studying, I am sure that I have not yet forgotten because of the way that it was taught and the way the I learned; it was aligned with the principles of the sutras in particular vairagya and abhyasa (dispassion and focus). More is at the link below
http://www.yogaforums.com/forums/f20/yoga-sutras-i-12-methods-control-vritti-part-1264.html

Vyaas offers the Sanskrit by CD course and there is also a yearly subscription to the yoga sutras; both available for purchase on his website. (While I have subscribed, I have not yet started to study them…soon :oops: …I am sure that once I start, I will have more to contribute !)

Lavina

[LEFT][I][COLOR=Black]These posts from their original home in a Yoga Sutra’s study group thread, so that Tubeseeker could get more recommendations from other members. [/COLOR][/I]
[/LEFT]

This workbook is described as, [I]“a precise translation [by Vyaas Houston] of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali with original Sanskrit, transliteration and word-by-word translation.” [/I]Yoga Sutras Workbook, The Certainty of Freedom. I have not studied Sanskrit with Vyaas, but with Aja Thomas, who was an original senior staff teacher at ASI and a senior student of Vyaas. I believe Lavina could offer you more information on Vyaas if you have questions about him.

Blessings,

Greetings.

To my knowledge there is no “purest” translation of the sutras without a commentary. Satchidananda’s version has the sutras (in sanskrit) and one can “avoid” reading the commentaries. I do not believe the Isherwood translation (How to Know God) actually writes out the sanskrit…wait lemme check…no it does not. They are in English along with the commentary.