Slightly embarrassing Yoni mudra question

Hello, i have a query regarding the Yoni mudra. I cannot find adequate info off of google, could someone please help?
Basically i have terrible PMS every month, despite a committed daily yoga practice of several years. I was wondering whether holding the Yoni mudra hand gesture can help bring healing energy to my reproductive organs and improve my symptoms a little bit? I know how to physically get into the gesture with my hands, but how long should the gesture be held? And can I hold it with a numbet of different poses, or only with eyes shut in Sukhasana?
Thanks in advance for any help. :slight_smile:

I have read feedback from girls stating spirulina helped them with their pms. You could give it a try. If you are sensitive to taste get the capsules.

Or get the capsules open some up and try to drink with water, if you can next time get the powder as it is lots cheaper.

Hello Sophie,

Mudras connect energy channels, or [I]nadis[/I], in the body. There are many such channels and the work is very precise and subtle. Slight variations shift a profound connection for one thing to an undesirable connection for another, often without the knowledge or foresight of the doer.

Mudras also have counter-mudras and the two are used together also in an appropriate way for one thing or an inappropriate way for another. For these reasons the person teaching mudra to the student has to be very experienced, very wise, very exact, and very aware of both their own work and that of the student.

I have rarely encountered such persons when the subject matter is mudra. Yes there are many posts, sites and videos and most of those are merely anecdotal conveyances rather than true teachings with integrity inside a lineage. I don’t feel that the Internet is a place to learn such things WHEN the learner wants authenticity, safety and effect.

What I would encourage is for you to speak with your teacher and have her/him show you the sequence for your cycle. A committed daily yoga practice of several years is really irrelevant other than its assistance in preparing your physical body for the proper sequence and your mind to deal with the issues around your cycle. It (that daily practice) dos not in any way inhibit the aforementioned PMS nor is it expected to. The cycle has to be honored both physically and energetically by sequence and the doer.

Sophienaz, I know what r u talking about! had a big time to control PMS as well…used to get totally hysterical no matter what… practicing yoga for the half of my life, every day, will work but not for PMS. The mudra you are talking about has a great effect, hold it for 3-15 minutes, but concentrate on the bindu chakra inside the head. PMS is an hormonal disbalance caused by some misalignment of glands, and the mastergland is in the head. My pms were gone and i forgot about this crazyness:) try yoni mudra + affirmation (fing your personal one) and remember about asana and pranayama practice:)

Oh yes, spirulina is in a supplement i just bought, some multivitamin specifically for women, thanks for that tip, good to know its uses. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;76470]Hello Sophie,

Mudras connect energy channels, or [I]nadis[/I], in the body. There are many such channels and the work is very precise and subtle. Slight variations shift a profound connection for one thing to an undesirable connection for another, often without the knowledge or foresight of the doer.

Mudras also have counter-mudras and the two are used together also in an appropriate way for one thing or an inappropriate way for another. For these reasons the person teaching mudra to the student has to be very experienced, very wise, very exact, and very aware of both their own work and that of the student.

I have rarely encountered such persons when the subject matter is mudra. Yes there are many posts, sites and videos and most of those are merely anecdotal conveyances rather than true teachings with integrity inside a lineage. I don’t feel that the Internet is a place to learn such things WHEN the learner wants authenticity, safety and effect.

What I would encourage is for you to speak with your teacher and have her/him show you the sequence for your cycle. A committed daily yoga practice of several years is really irrelevant other than its assistance in preparing your physical body for the proper sequence and your mind to deal with the issues around your cycle. It (that daily practice) dos not in any way inhibit the aforementioned PMS nor is it expected to. The cycle has to be honored both physically and energetically by sequence and the doer.[/QUOTE]

Hi Gordon,
Oh thanks for the advice. Yes I agree mudras are rather complex and I feel i need to discuss with an experienced teacher, i shall approach my head teacher, she is 66 and has had 4 kids and is very knowledgeable, i reckon she can give me a good head start. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;76477]Sophienaz, I know what r u talking about! had a big time to control PMS as well…used to get totally hysterical no matter what… practicing yoga for the half of my life, every day, will work but not for PMS. The mudra you are talking about has a great effect, hold it for 3-15 minutes, but concentrate on the bindu chakra inside the head. PMS is an hormonal disbalance caused by some misalignment of glands, and the mastergland is in the head. My pms were gone and i forgot about this crazyness:) try yoni mudra + affirmation (fing your personal one) and remember about asana and pranayama practice:)[/QUOTE]

Hey there,
Wow, glad to know I am not the only yogi suffering with awful PMS. I shall start practicing this on my own, and then get further advice from my head teacher.
I really want it to work because for two days, every month, b4 the cycle starts, i am an emotional mess, crying all the time, and tremendously depressed and rude to my husband and kids. I refuse to take anti depressants, as i literally only behave this badly for 48 hrs. The only thing that keeps me sane for this awful 48 hrs is very strong vinyasa style practice. I hope i can get it under control because it is ridiculous and annoying as hell to be so messed up for this 48 hrd of hell. My poor husband, honestly, he is so patient, and my two boys kind of understand. I hate hormonal imbalances, they turn me into this hysterical bitchy monster. Thanks for the sympathy. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sophienaz;76484]Oh yes, spirulina is in a supplement i just bought, some multivitamin specifically for women, thanks for that tip, good to know its uses. :)[/QUOTE]

Recommended dosage is normally 3 grams. So if you still have lots of pain after using these, then you might consider to get pure spirulina.

I wish you the best.

Sophie, good to hear that you refuse antidepresants, they do not work for PMS, they just make me sleepy and more angry, also, if you are taking any hormonal tabs like contraceptive might contribute to your PMS, … support from your family is very important, my family support me those day and sometime just do not pay attention to my mood when i get too cranky:) Meditaion and mudras difenately help those days and important to keep practicing while u are ok and prepare yourself to be a good girl no matter what:)
restorative yoga is a great help too