Slightly strange stretch (knees bent, knees to chest, but legs out in front)

I have been doing yoga now for a month or so, attending a class once a week and doing exercises almost every evening after work (I’m a male physics student, and work at a computer for 9 hours a day). I would have to say that I’ve noticed a surprisingly large improvement (in what I consider to be a short period of time) to my strength and flexibility, as well as my general energy levels.

Recently a friend who doesn’t do yoga, but instead does a lot of martial arts showed me a stretch she does. Basically you sit on the floor with a box in front of you - the box should be high enough to match your chest. You put your legs (calf side down) on the box so that the bend between at the knees is about 90-95 degrees, and so that the calves are roughly parallel with the floor. Then you reach forwards and grab the far side of the box (or your heels). It’s almost like doing a sit-up with the legs raised and holding the “up” position. I find this a very very difficult stretch, which is strange since it seems to be the act of raising the legs which makes it so hard (as far as I can tell, I can easily go from standing and bend forwards with my knees bent and touch ground).

What is this stretch exactly? I’ve looked around online for it and I cannot see it mentioned anywhere - the closest thing is lying on the back and bringing the knees to the chest (which I don’t find difficult). Also, would somebody please be able to tell me what it is stretching?

Thank you.

You’re the physics student - so experiment! :slight_smile: What do you feel stretching?

Or, if you cannot work it out in your body, work it out in your mind. What part of your body is getting longer (stretch), this part being opposite to the part that is getting shorter (toning)?

This is not a yoga pose. But if you turn the pose upside down (rotate by 180 degrees) you get shashankasana. This is known as rabbit or hare pose. It does not stretch the hamstrings, since the knees are bent. But is does stretch the spine and you will feel it whereever you are most tight - neck, upper back, even lower back.

Enjoy your yoga.

I personally would either a) ask the friend since that is the person that demonstrated it or b) pose the question on a martial arts forum.

Maybe the stretch is not difficult for you, but the strength required in your lower abdominals to get into position! And I do agree with IA here.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;26306]I personally would either a) ask the friend since that is the person that demonstrated it or b) pose the question on a martial arts forum.[/QUOTE]

I originally asked her - she doesn’t know (though she said it’s for strengthening). I was going to ask my instructor but I don’t meet him again until mid January.

This is not a yoga pose. But if you turn the pose upside down (rotate by 180 degrees) you get shashankasana. This is known as rabbit or hare pose. It does not stretch the hamstrings, since the knees are bent. But is does stretch the spine and you will feel it whereever you are most tight - neck, upper back, even lower back.

I find shashankasana ok, I feel it in my upper back. I think this “stretch” my friend has showed me isn’t really a stretch but a difficult form of sit-up. I might do it in my own exercises though.

Thanks!

hello,

I really like yoga a big help for me specially when I’m stress. Every time I’m doing it, it feels like I’m in peace my muscle is so relax my mind is only concentrating in one portion. Very nice, Hoping to chat with you soon and share your thoughts about yoga to me too.

thanks