Split skin on toes after yoga

I’ve recently started practicing sun salutations every morning after a long spell of no yoga. The skin on my big toes and second toes is splitting and I’m having to practice in socks, which I’m not keen on. I use a foam rubber mat with indentations.

What is causing this? Does anyone have any advice as some days it is too sore to practice :frowning:

Thanks.

Where is the skin splitting and can you tell me/us more about the typical condition of your feet? Also what style of Surya Namaskar are you doing?
Are you jumping to and fro?

Energetically, and I’m sure another poster can speak to this more than I, the feet represent fear of the future and of not stepping forward in life.

Mmm interesting about not stepping forward in life… that’s given me something to ponder!

My feet are generally ok, I do have dry cracked heels… sign of a yeast overgrowth maybe?

I’m doing astanga vinyasa sun salutations A & B each morning. My toes have improved since I’ve put a sheepskin rug at the end of my mat.

Thanks for your reply, I’ll be watching out for any more thoughts.

I feel so much better for starting again and hope to get the courage to go to a class soon, as I’ve found an astanga class nearby :smiley:

Sorry, no advice, just wanted to log in to reister my sympathy. I recently had this start too. I didn’t connect it with yoga until I read this thread, but i have stepped up my practice recently, so this could be it.

I’ll try putting somthing soft where my feet will land, though I’m concerned about slipping.

By the way, I have soft, never seen a day’s work in their life feet and I jump back and forward, though my control is still a little lacking. The size of the abrasions vary and haven’t been so bad I cannot practice yet, but sometimes hurt quite a bit. At the moment they are doing reasonably well though.

The Ashtanga practice is quite active with quite a bit of jumping.
Are you avoiding the jumpings?
If not there’s a question that is begged.

“Why are you doing a practice with jumping when you are bleeding from cracked, dry skin on your feet?”

Hi

Perhaps you problem is athletes foot ?? I too had a similar problem, and consulted a chiropodist. She simply prescribed that I went the the local pharmacy and picked up athletes an atheletes foot powder.

I needed to let my feet heal, but the problem has completely gone, and I no longer suffer from the skin cracking.

Hope that helps :smiley: