Temporary memory loss after yoga

I have recently started an Iyengar yoga class, which was a shock to the system, but it is working, I have improved in only two classes after three years of illness.

One thing I have noticed, is right after a class, like within the first ten minutes of finishing the class, I seem to have lost some memory, like I couldn’t remember the combination to my hold all, a simple three figure combination I use every day, Also I just cannot remember what I was going to do after the class. Is this normal, any ideas ?

I’d go and see a physician. Yoga practice should not have effects similar to alcohol intoxication.

Not normal. Go see a doctor as soon as possible.

I do sometimes get dizzy spells during yoga. I’m rather sure it is just from blood rushing in and out of my head.

[quote=yogabond;12104]Not normal. Go see a doctor as soon as possible.

I do sometimes get dizzy spells during yoga. I’m rather sure it is just from blood rushing in and out of my head.[/quote]
Does it usually happen after forwards folds?

Crumpled,

could you kindly share some information about you and your practice beyond the sliver you’ve posted? It makes it very difficult to respond to a therapeutically oriented question when we do not know if you are a feeble 90 year old man or a supple 20-something. Likewise I’ve no idea about your current health, meds, lifestyle et al.

So more info about you and more about the practice - though I am quite familiar with the Iyengar practice; are you having a significant savasana to end each practice?

[quote=InnerAthlete;12114]Crumpled,

could you kindly share some information about you and your practice beyond the sliver you’ve posted? It makes it very difficult to respond to a therapeutically oriented question when we do not know if you are a feeble 90 year old man or a supple 20-something. Likewise I’ve no idea about your current health, meds, lifestyle et al.

So more info about you and more about the practice - though I am quite familiar with the Iyengar practice; are you having a significant savasana to end each practice?[/quote]

Yes, fair point, perhaps I should say more, but it was just a general question, as I was unfamiliar with real yoga practice.

I am 40 years old, and health wise, not the best as I am coming out of three years worth of illness due to PTSD and depression. I am on medication, SSRI,s, which I am hoping to tail off come the new year.I was hoping the yoga might help me get off the meds, something which I do believe might well be effective.

I am not overweight, but what doctors would call underweight, have been so for the past twenty years. The reason for the depression was due to head injuries sustained in an assault which has left one eye photosensitive, (can’t handle bright light). Diet, well, I only eat when I am hungry, and then it is soya, linseed, beans, rice, fish, pasta, no red meat at all, unless I can get hold of organic.

Exercise besides the yoga, plenty of walking in hilly terrain, pilates and Middle Eastern dance practice.

What it is when I finish a yoga session, we do the savasana for about ten minutes, something I am finding beneficial, but struggle to stay awake, and notice the light in the room which is evening light changes colour, switching between violet and green. On leaving the room, I am bumbling about yes, like I have just woken up and I cannot remember anything, speech is slury too.

The instructor believes it is due to the depth of relaxation I managed to achieve, like waking up in the morning, the mind not quite with it for a few minutes.

The yoga session included, tadasana,utthita trikosana,uttita parsvakonasana,virabhadrasana,parsvottanasana,uttanasana,virasana, of which being new to all this, I struggled with the first session, but come the next session, there was a marked improvement which caused the instructor to mention that improvement, though he was kind of miffed when I mentioned home pilates. My answer to that, was that I will not attempt Iyengar method at home until I am au fait with how to do it safely. I have had a slipped disc twice in the same place, I wish not to have a third injury.

Ahhhh thank you. That’s so refreshing.
Nature of question determines nature of answer:-)

With a ptsd diagnosis and meds I’m a bit surprised you can close your eyes in Savasana without concern. You can try keeping them open and see if a) that prohibits sleeping and b) mitigates your wooziness.

There is simply no way to gauge exactly how a nervous system disorder AND medications for same might intermingle with an asana practice. Since you are doing standing poses I’d expect a more grounded experience for you after class though that varies.

I would not worry too much about this post-class feelings. Nor would I spend too much time initially trying to figure out what it is. Noticing it, for now, is enough. But do consider NOT rushing out into the “real” world rapidly. Take your time and spend a few minutes after class just being still. Your asana practice may be charging up pitta nature, one of the three auyurvedic constitutions or doshas.

That’s Nicole’s realm and perhaps she’ll weigh in and offer something. You may consider a diet that balances Vata dosha. Here’s one you can scan though I don’t favor the internet over a skilled ayuveda consultant.

If you read the advisory leaflet that comes with your medicine, you will somewhere most probably read that memory loss is a side-effect of some of the medicines you take. Look for the culprit there.

if by chance you one day figure out how it is that your forgetting, and the yoga postures do have something to do with it, please let me know which postures they are cause there is a lot I would like to erase from my memory :slight_smile:
If normally you need to know that three digit code shortly after the class, then just write it down somewhere. seems like the rest of the gang covered the other bases, my initial thought is maybe you are in a deep state of relaxation or you have trigured a part of the brain with the asanas chosen. Not sure what doctors could tell you cause if they knew what they think they know then medications would not have side effects?
just thoughts
Neil

crumpled did you have any talking therapies after the assault to help you with your PTSD? I have had complex PTSD before, and from time to time I still have some residual symptoms,though less intense than before. I found psychotherapy helpful. It upsets me that people are sometimes prescribed SSRIs without being given the chance to engage with a therapist. I eventually became very ill with firbomyalgia, depression and PTSD and, as a result, my cognitive abilities were definitely impaired, including episodes of short term memory loss, dizziness and generally not knowing what was going on around me. When practicing yoga and tai chi at the start of my journey back to health I often felt that I needed to cry. Sometimes I did cry. It was because I felt relaxed and safe enough to feel things that the feelings came to the surface and could feel overwhelming. I also felt concerned about the teachers in the class and the other people in the class as I didn’t want them to worry about me. I think that sometimes it was the effort I put in to not crying and not remembering painful memories that left me feeling so disorientated. I don’t know if this makes any sense to you, I’m sharing just in case it does x

Dadaist Dadaoist,
Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom here for all of us at YogaForums. Your courageous and open-hearted sharing fortifies our online community and serves as a touch-stone for those who struggle with the issues you spoke of and for those who love someone who is struggling. It is an authentic connection with an authentic person that heals us, more so than any technique or pill. You have really touched my heart and I thank you.

Namaste,

ooh Nicole You’ve really set me off now cries but in a happy way I could cry for the Olympics me. Really thanks, that’s a very sweet message and i appreciate it very much. I hope Crumpled is OK, I feel worried about her. You OK Crumpled? worries x

Dear crumpled,
besides the memorie of the brain there is also a memorie in the body tissue. When you do yoga you trigger things to surface so you can be free of it. It can be your brain is protecting you or not ready yet. It seems your practice is very good, but do not force the healing proces. Make sure you have enough time to recover from exercise, be safe.
warm greetings Louise

Thank you, I am ok, I went down a hole for a bit, but am out now. I even quit the yoga for two weeks and was intent on quitting the classes, but a friend driven me there, so I am back doing the classes and looking forward again. The yoga tutor this time asked what was the nature of my illness and it seems it’s compound. Something I had not realised before, it was not just the attack, that event was the final straw. A spell in the armed forces and myself changing from a gung ho idiot into a confirmed pacifist ended that career, then my living circumstances post armed forces, the violence in society and then that violence on me, for no other reason than for bored individuals to have fun.I still fear society, I have lost faith in those vested with our protection and governance, the whole lot, I am extremely cynical and as a result, I keep out of society as much as I can, preferring my own company, sometimes.

I know yoga will help with the mind, the body getting fitter has a desirable effect on the mind and vice versa. I hate the medication so much, but I am stuck with it for the foreseeable future, as coming off it, cutting it dead, has some very unusual effects, that I do not want to repeat, as all the dampened emotions come out in one massive blast, you don’t know whether to laugh, cry, sleep, wake etc, all opposites clash in one go.

So, in answer, no, no talk therapies after the attack, no help whatsoever, I was screaming and no one wanted to hear. Now I do talk therapy with a psychologist, and a psychologist only, as psychiatrists are amongst the people I do not trust, I insisted psychologist or nothing. It helps, but it will be a long time.

Am still not eating properly, sometimes I go days without eating, something I have to work out. But the yoga does stimulate the need for food, so I will continue. The other thing I have noticed, I am sort of starting to move in the direction of exploring Eastern spiritualities.

[quote=Crumpled;12933]Thank you, I am ok, I went down a hole for a bit, but am out now. I even quit the yoga for two weeks and was intent on quitting the classes, but a friend driven me there, so I am back doing the classes and looking forward again.

Am still not eating properly, sometimes I go days without eating, something I have to work out. But the yoga does stimulate the need for food, so I will continue. The other thing I have noticed, I am sort of starting to move in the direction of exploring Eastern spiritualities.[/quote]

Dear crumpled.

good to here you are fine now and looking forward again.

The brain needs enough oxygen and carbo hydrates to function properly. When you exercise your muscles use a lot of that for energy. Important to eat (if you like it eat a few dates, that is very good food and not so big in your stomach)
May the dissiness can be also from not having enough food.
And do not hold your breath too long in trying to concentrate.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience and trusting this community.

sending you all the love and light i can
Louise

Dear Crumpled,
It does sound like you are suffering. But you have found yoga and that is great. Keep it up if you can.
And please eat. I watched one of the people closest to me almost destroy herself from an inability to eat. With her it was her trying to control at least one aspect of her life. Thankfullly with the help of the loved ones around her and the awakening of her own inner strength she recovered. I think this forum pays testament to the fact that there are good, trustworthy people in the world.
I too, am sending you love and light.
Jenny

Yoga is also a nice one. But I got Hypnotherapy Treatment to get rid of the Memory loss problem. I am completely alright now. Thanks to Thoughts Become Reality.

[B][U]thoughtsbecomereality.co.uk[/U][/B]

You should first consult to your Yoga teacher about this situation and take his advice.

[QUOTE=Crumpled;12085]I have recently started an Iyengar yoga class, which was a shock to the system, but it is working, I have improved in only two classes after three years of illness.

One thing I have noticed, is right after a class, like within the first ten minutes of finishing the class, I seem to have lost some memory, like I couldn’t remember the combination to my hold all, a simple three figure combination I use every day, Also I just cannot remember what I was going to do after the class. Is this normal, any ideas ?[/QUOTE]

I just had a similar experience last week where I lost my memory for about 1.5 hours after yoga, Forgot my combination for my lock and my password for my phone. Went for full test for stroke and fainting - alll negative.

I just had a similar experience last week where I lost my memory for about 1.5 hours after yoga, forgot my combination for my lock and my password for my phone. Went for full test for stroke and fainting - thank goodness all negative.