Torn meniscus...going a bit batty HELP!

I’ve torn the meniscus in my left knee. ARGH! (Doing lotus of all things!) I did this Oct 20th and the healing process is SLOOOOW! I’ve been forbidden to do much bending and anything squatlike is completely out. The problem is, I am having so much trouble modifying my yoga program and I am feeling very frustrated and lost. I feel like I can’t really DO anything and the sequences I have put together are wearing thin. I’m hoping someone can help a bit.

So, I’m good with downward dog, plank, cobra and some of the things I can do on my back. I have been avoiding triangle, warrior etc because I feel lopsided doing them only one direction. Please help me put something together that doesn’t require bending my knee. Thanks.

Sorry to hear of the tear my dear. Of course you know that it is merely another form of life lesson (experience) and that there is something in your life that your body is trying to communicate, right? And that, for some is a big deal so we’ll leave it right there. But do consider it please.

Can you tell us who your teacher is and in what style you are accustomed to practicing?
And while I do recognize your name and presence I don’t recall much of who you are as a person so standard intake information would be very helpful - age, gender, fitness, health issues, diet etcetera.

You absolutely should not have a lopsided practice as that will manifest imbalance in your body and do no good at all.

What say you to more info???

I’m female, 40 and have been practicing for about 8 years or so. I doubt you would have heard of my teacher. She is Lisa Richmond. Style is primarily Hatha/Iyengar influence. I’m not a bikram fan and that is the current “craze” around town. Our Yoga Association has a listing of teachers and their styles and after losing our last teacher about 2 years ago (also Hatha) our group sought out Lisa. She is wonderful and just what we need.

Health issues. Hmmm…none really. I took up yoga to help with a back issue and that has essentially disappeared. I periodically develop upper respiratory issues (due to working with adolescents who need nagging to wash their hands!) but am otherwise quite healthy. My diet, varied. I follow no particular practice in that regard. I am beginning to discover what works for me personally and have not sought a name for that practice. I eat meat sparingly. (mostly chicken) I am starting to avoid corn products as they make me feel logy. I eat a lot of citrus fruit, and green veggies. Prefer rice to pasta or potatoes, but I cook for a family so they are all in there. I’m currently above what is considered ideal for my age and frame, but not by much. I believe most of that is muscle mass rather than adipose tissue so its not a concern. I do carry some extra weight on my belly (two caesarians leaves a girl with some work to do!).

OK, as for the knee injury. Pride goeth before a fall or an injury and this is a prideful injury. I becoming aware of what I need to work through, thanks for the reminder. I am also the kind of person who dislikes having to ask for help (did I mention pride yet?) so this is part of my lesson. I can’t do this on my own and need some help to work through things.

Did I cover that adequately? I’m happy to answer anything.

The muscles in my left leg are beginning to tighten up. I notice that my walk is altered now and the muscles feel shorter now. Eek!

Namaste Alix,

I won’t say anything about the knees, pride, ego and the willingness (or lack of willingness) to flow along your spiritual path as I think you are already well aware of these aspects.

I have the following book on my shelf which I think might be extremely helpful for you and I would like to suggest that you try and get hold of it as it gives so much that I think you can use. Here is the title:

[B]Yoga for Healthy Knees : What You Need to Know for Pain Prevention and Rehabilitation by Sandy Blaine.[/B]

Good luck and take it easy wit the knee, but it will heal eventually.

Alix,

Cassie Mccoll is up there in Alberta somewhere. She’s a certified Purna Yoga teacher at the 2,000 hour level. I can’t remember if she’s in Calgary or Edmonton. I realize though that’s a significant difference in mileage alone.

You visited an ortho for the diagnosis? Can you tell me more please? MRI? Significant tear? Fluid on the knee? Swelling? Does it lock when bent?

I’d also like to know the sequence you WOULD be doing if you had your druthers. If you prefer to PM me that would be fine.

Diagnosis by Doctor and physiotherapist, still waiting on the MRI appt and the orthopedic surgeon. Likely about 6-8 weeks wait on that. Physio feels the tear is minor and may heal itself. Praying for that! I’m fairly opposed to the surgery unless the knee becomes locked and unusable. I would like to heal if at all possible.

No edema anymore, and no locking thank heavens. I can’t find Cassie McColl listed in either Edmonton or Calgary and Google isn’t helping either. If you can find more contact info I would appreciate it. Calgary is a drive, but I do visit there regularly.

As for what sequence I would be doing if I had my druthers, well there are so many. I don’t think I have any set sequences other than Sun Salutation that I like to do every day. The lunge is completely impossible at the moment. I like to do a fair bit of hip opening postures and lower back strengtheners so pigeon pose and cobra are staples for me. I like to use Warrior series for energizing but that is completely out too.

To be honest, at the moment I’m willing to focus on healing and restorative poses but so much requires knee bending.

I’m willing to try a series of your suggestion InnerAthlete. Your help is appreciated.

Pandara, I will look for the book, thanks so much for the help.

Generally speaking Alix what you do now should be a very calm practice that supports the immune system functions as that is what will be healing your knee. Some gentle pranayama would also be appropriate using the breath to bring light into the joint. Additionally, a protocol reducing inflammation would help immensely.

Sigh. OK, I’ve been looking into immune support. I’ll try to modify things a bit for that.

Thanks InnerAthlete.

Technical questions here. Apparently most of the poses that are to stimulate the immune system are ones that stimulate the thymus (fourth chakra region correct?). So I’m looking for really good chest openers and lots of good breathing exercises yes?
I can’t do bow or boat right now, and pigeon is not going to work either. Cobra is OK, Fish is OK but then to balance them what can I do? Is downward dog a sufficient balance? Shoulder stand is my usual balance for fish.

Also, I’m having a tough time finding a comfortable position in which to meditate and focus my breath. If I modify staff pose with bolsters under my knees I don’t feel I can breathe deeply enough. Is meditating in savasana OK?

I’m sorry to pester you all. I simply can’t contact my teacher at the moment. She is away. Thanks for the help.

Nothing pestering about it.
It’s merely a discourse and as such I see it as welcome.

If I may clear up a misconception…
Asana does not stimulate the immune system. Asana CAN stimulate the immune system. However if asana ONLY stimulated the immune system then those people with auto-immune issues would not do asana at all.

Appropriate asana balances the immune system. I say “appropriate” so that we as readers do not come away with the idea that ANY thing labeled “yoga” is therefore “good” for us. Some “yoga” is not at all good for us - though many people do it daily:-)

PLEASE PM me your email address and I’ll send you a more thorough outline. It is not appropriate to post on the internet for all eternity.

Thank you InnerAthlete, I will send you my email right away.

Just a little update in case anyone is interested. I have come a long way since I posted this. InnerAthlete has given me some wonderful advice and I have been following it to the best of my ability. (Giving up dairy and sugar isn’t as easy as I thought! However giving up wheat/gluten was no problem at all…odd, I thought it would be the opposite)

I’ve been working very hard to just accept and be where I am right now. Lo and behold as I come to a place of acceptance I also come to a place of healing. My knee is significantly better. I have virtually no pain at all anymore and I do not feel as though it is “bound” at all. I’m still being extremely careful and not bending, kneeling or squatting at all.

I am continuing with a series of very calming postures, and concentrating on bringing healing to my knee.

I know I still have a long road ahead of me, but I feel I’ve turned a corner. Thank you all so much for letting me bring my frustration and disharmony here. I appreciate it very much.

And a very heartfelt thank you to InnerAthlete who was so patient with my endless questions. I have been told when the student is ready the teacher appears. Thank you for being my teacher, I wish there was less distance between us as I think I would like to be your student.

I find myself smiling from all the love and wisdom in this thread <3

I’m so happy for you Alix! That’s awesome :slight_smile: