Trouble doing Vajrasana (or thunderbolt pose or rock pose)

Hi There I am new to the entire yoga world. There is one yoga pose I want to get better in, and that is Vajrasana (also called rock pose, im not sure which one is the right way of saying it, but its pretty much sitting on your calves and heels of your feet)

the biggest challenge I have with this is, when I sit like this for over 5 -10 minutes, I could feel the blood circulation stop in my calves and feet. And the very second I get out of the pose, the blood gushes back there (not a good feeling)

That problem is not allowing me to do the pose for very long, is there something I must be doing wrong or what?

Thanks!

you could try a meditation bench, I have learned to make my own. I have various heights and have found stepping down in heights has increased the ability to use lower benches with ease. Very easy to make, takes less then ten minutes.
all the best
Brother Neil

You could also try using more awareness in your legs and feet while in the pose. I’m not sure how you’re doing it now, but for me, when I place my feet I press my toes sweetly into the earth and keep an energetic extension from my pelvis through my legs into the earth. This way your awareness and slight alignment action may help the circulation flow.

I’ve responded to this on the other forum in which you posted the question.

gordon

[QUOTE=blackout2009;23485]Hi There I am new to the entire yoga world. There is one yoga pose I want to get better in, and that is Vajrasana (also called rock pose, im not sure which one is the right way of saying it, but its pretty much sitting on your calves and heels of your feet)

the biggest challenge I have with this is, when I sit like this for over 5 -10 minutes, I could feel the blood circulation stop in my calves and feet. And the very second I get out of the pose, the blood gushes back there (not a good feeling)

That problem is not allowing me to do the pose for very long, is there something I must be doing wrong or what?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi!
My name is Jennifer and I am a hatha Yoga intructor in Montreal. Thunderbolt can be very challenging and uncomfortable when you have tight calves and toes. Our toes are not used to stretching very much. Try this. Come into Vajrasana until you start feeling discomfort. When you do, move into child’s pose, bringing your feet plat and take a few breaths here. Then move back into Vajrasana. Do this a few times then press up into Downward dog to get a nice full stretch and try Vajrasana again. I think you just need to allow your body to slowly adapt to the pose. Don’T feel that you need to stay exactly in that pose the whole time, move around and listen to your body. Let me know how that works!
Namaste
Jennifer Young
yogalife.info@gmail.com
Yoga in Montreal