Uhm, Engaging the Pelvic Floor Muscle!

New to yoga and forum. Picked up a second hand book “Pilates + Yoga” by jill everett. So, i am currently running of the basics and finding that engaging the pelvic floor muscle, could quite embarrassing for us males, unless i’m incorrect to what the pelvic floor muscle is.

Can somebody help, engaging the pelvic floor muscle, seems to be moving and exciting my gentials?

Sorry if my message is inappropriate :oops: . But i am still need help, can anybody help me. How does one engage the pelvic floor muscle?

may i ask are you male of female?

the pelvic floor muscle is the perineum…this muscle is situated between the anus and genitals…a way of imaging this muscle contracting is like stopping the flow of urine midstream…do not mistake this for contracting the buttocks/gluteal muscles…takes some practice-be patient :slight_smile:

To properly engage the pelvic floor (mula bandha) just pretend you need to use the bathroom but there’s none in sight. That’s the pelvic floor. It’s actually the anal perineum muscle. Scrunch that up and you?re on your way to one of the keys to the practice of yoga.

According to those that know-that’s the key to so much of the amazing power lifts advanced yogi’s do, especially in Astangha. Although as mentioned above it is separate from anal canal ( aswini mudra ) for the beginner it is helpful to lift the entire abdominal pelvic region ( like ballroom dancers esp. in Pasa dobles. )squezzing the butt cheeks is a preliminary step also. The goal should be fine control of the 2 separate areas: perineum and anus. You can isolate it with the urination stop feeling as above and/or several positions. One suggested by a book on it is on your knees with your head down to the floor looking out and up a little with your butt way up in the air. That does it pretty well for me. In general , without yoga’s fine tuning and incorporation into movement-it’s called Kegels. Doctors recommend that for those with incontinence or premature ejaculation. Advanced yogi’s say the life force that descends as the sex drive can be rerouted for elevated consciousness basically by pulling upward down there. The Anal canal is the closest thing to the prostate gland where testosterone becomes semen. Traditional Indian cure for the " nagging wife " condition is aswini mudra. Why would she be nagging , I wonder ? Namaste.

Another 2 ways to find mula bandha : when standing around point toes out ; and the corpse position is excellent for fine discriminations once you start isolating the parts from other positions. Namaste