What is yoga?

I will admit I posting this with more than a bit trepidation, but what the heck it would not be the first time in my life I came off as incredibly silly and/or uneducated about a topic

I read [this](article http://www.ascentmagazine.com/articles.aspx?articleID=48&page=read&subpage=past&issueID=21)

On the Ascent Webpage and it left me thinking what does ?Yoga? mean?

To me, at this point, it is a way to get healthier and more flexible but there is some underlying nagging feeling occurring that I cannot yet comprehend. Sooner or later maybe I will.

This may seem clich?, old or more likely a silly or overly simple question to those that have been training yoga for years but it is not so easy to answer for this use to was Power Yoga guy that is likely soon to be a yoga guy again.

But this makes me wonder what Yoga actually means to others

What is Yoga?

I had a teacher tell me that yoga was a means of keeping your spine healthy so that you could enjoy a longer life. - I thought, that’s good enough for me.

[QUOTE=Yulaw;29902]
To me, at this point, it is a way to get healthier and more flexible but there is some underlying nagging feeling occurring that I cannot yet comprehend.[/QUOTE]

You may find that that underlying feeling is like the part you don’t see in an iceberg. Yoga is much bigger than it seems at first.

I’m not sure if you are asking “What is Yoga?”, “What is yoga to you (me)?”, or “What does Yoga mean?”. I try to keep this sort of stuff concise (so it is not a distraction) as I find it is easier for my students to grasp AND it prevents the propensity on the part of some from getting preoccupied with semantics, definitions, etymology, and the like.

[I][B]Yoga is[/B][/I] a vast set of tools which can be used for evolving, developing, transforming or growing human beings.

[I][B]What Yoga is to me[/B][/I] (or you) can depend on what you believe it is, what your intention it is for its use and how it is utilized.

[I][B]Yoga (Yuj) classically means[/B][/I] a unification (union or yoke) between the body, the mind, and the spirit.

[i][B]Asana is[/B][/I] a physical method, one of the tools in a much, much larger tool chest, that comes to bear on certain elements of the human condition.

Yulaw,

We are two bodies side-by-side, [I][B]ha[/B][/I] and [I][B]tha[/B][/I]. From the time we first begin to bear our own weight, we set into motion a lifelong cycle of alternating from one to the other and back: a dance you might say, fundamental to both our physical and mental development.

Yoga is an optimum form of health and well being that occurs when both sides of the body, [I][B]ha[/B][/I] and [I][B]tha[/B][/I], are congruent, balanced and working together without internal struggle, tension, conflict, etc., and the happiness that results. Because this “union” is connected to and dependent on control of breathing, it consequently involves the mind.

Although this is just one aspect of yoga, the union of [I][B]ha[/B][/I] and [I][B]tha[/B][/I] is the one over which we have the most direct and immediate control. For that reason it’s referred to as the yoga of action, or Raja Yoga.

peace,
siva

Art experts declined to answer the question “what is art”

Thank You

I am asking to figure out what Yoga means to both others and myself.

Obviously one can learn form all answers in a quest for knowledge. And there is, IMO, no wrong answer since one can even gain knowledge from a refusal to answer

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Yulaw,

You may have more to gain by focusing your question, i.e., “what is yoga” and “what does yoga mean” are conflicting. It’s like asking…“what does nature mean?”

Nature has no meaning. Like a tree, or the sky, or you and I for that matter, yoga also has no meaning. Like nature, yoga just is.

siva

siva

Thank you for pointing that out.

Very good point and I guess I need to rethink the question, but for now I will stick with what is yoga. Currently (if I stick with logic and western science) I see it as a physical exercise but there is something else saying that is not it? exactly.

I could also ask why I have such a strong underlying feeling that I need to start taking yoga again but then I am the only one that can answer that question.

The original word is [I]“Yog”[/I]. It is a [I]Sanskrit [/I] (an ancient Indian language) word, derived from the root ?yuj?, meaning to control, to yoke or to unite. It is about to the integration of individual?s own consciousness and the universal consciousness. Also known as a union of mental and spiritual disciplines i.e. body and soul.

The word “Yog” is known as “Yoga” in the countries other than India. Mostly it’s meaning is misunderstood as physical exercises only, which is incorrect. Physical exercises are part of [I]Hatha Yog,[/I] better known as [I]Asana.[/I] (postures). Definitly, Asanas make the body fit, healthy and pure, which helps to enhance the mental peace and spirituality. Which ultimately leads an individual to find out the truth of inner-self.:slight_smile:

To me yoga means something different every time I practice.

Once I burst into tears after a session, yoga for me then was an emotional release. Another time I phoned my boyfriend after my practice to say sorry, yoga for me then was humility.

Yoga helps me to grow, become and heal…

Western science, logic and most of western philosophy are poor guides when it comes to the bodymind. That is because yoga deals with inner experience, about which western science - in its quest for objectivity - has preciously little to say.

You can perceive of yoga to be merely a system of physical exercise to promote mental and physical health. That is fine with me. But this is a rather narrow viewpoint of yoga. In its broadest perspective, yoga is a system of spiritual knowledge and techniques that developed over thousands of years in India. One way to gain this broader perspective is to simply do your asana within the context of the precepts (yama and niyama) and to let your practice gradually evolve to wider dimensions. Read a few books, talk to a few people, see if someone can teach you meditation. (If you cannot find yogic meditation, go for zen or vipassana instead.) Yoga, at its best, is a complete system for transforming the bodymind. It starts with the body and ends with the divine.

Don’t worry too much about the definition of yoga. As with any spiritual discipline, you have to practice, practice, practice. The answers will come by themselves.

Namast

Willem

I must admit I had to look up Yama and Niyama but thank you. I shall study them and try to think about and train yoga within the context of yama and niyama

To all

I have to thank everyone again for the responses they are all great and they have all been a help to me.

Skillful living…divine union— that is just one explanation.

What is it’s purpose? - To elevate consciousnesss; yield it’s expansion.

Hope this makes sense.

Yoga is a way to connect to the super being and at the same time keeping healty using special techniqes.

Hello!

Yoga serves one simple purpose and goal, that is easily described. It’s not about art, not about health, not about the divine, not anything like “Yoga just is”. Well. Yes it is. :smiley: You can put it that way, if you want to or if you have to, but I (like “personally”) find it… cumbersome. The real explanation is much easier, easier to tell, easier to work with, and look, here it comes:

Yoga is a method to get the one who practices it to stop their thoughts. That’s pretty much it. You learn to stop thinking. Try it, try not to have anything going on up there, where you now mumble the words I’ve written. It won’t work, thoughts will arise immediately, instantly, within one, two, three seconds.

Yoga teaches you to stop those movements of the mind. It’s already pointed out in the first Yoga Sutras, catch a look, if you must, there are multiple translations online, you can find them with any search-engine.

All limbs of the Asthtanga Yoga (= Hatha Yoga) serve exactly that purpose, to get rid of thoughts and other mind-moving stuff:

Yama and Niyama, be good, so you’re reincarnated in a nicer place than now? Or end the terrible wheel of being reincarnated over and over again? Nice story, just that noone is around who really knows they’re reincarnated. The explanation is much simpler: If you do not do and think anything bad, there is no need to reflect your own behaviour, no need to feel guilty, nothing to worry, nothing to question, nothing to distract your meditation. How could you meditate, if yesterday you killed someone, or insulted someone, or thought bad about someone? Such behaviour will get back to you, even if you express your bad thoughts somewhat politely and without obvious insults, for which you could be sued. Don’t do and think anything bad, and no thoughts concerned with ethics and morals will bug you. That’s what these first two segments are for, not more, not less.

Asanas. Asanas aren’t intended for health, originally it’s even just the Asana, and it is a seated position that you can maintain for hours without having to adjust it, without feeling uncomfortable. The reason why you don’t just go to bed is, that you want to have your head upright, which is neccessary to keep a clear mind. That’s what the 3rd limb is intended for, and seriously: Nothing else. Asanas for health are a fine thing, sure, even good for the actual purpose of Yoga, as you won’t be able to stop thinking if your body is in pain. You might even encounter some trancendent effects, because you deeply concentrate while doing an Asana, but any other doing can create the same purpose, so there is nothing of great mystery in Asanas, no divine geometry that puts you in some line with the Great One. Use them for therapy or to get flexible, strong, a better athlete, a better car-seller, a better whatever. But within the main-frame of Yoga, Asana is to sit down, forget the body and practice stop-thinking.

Pranayama is to calm the mind via the breath, as breath and mind are related. Short breath, busy mind, deep breath, calm mind. And the other way. Pranayama intends to deepen the breaths, which is again intended to help one stop thinking.

Pratyahara: If you are pulled out of meditation by any signal coming through your senses, it sucks. So learn not to be bothered by any noise, smell, visual signal and no thoughts will arise due to these.

Dharana starts to train your mind to stop moving. As it’s very difficult to stop any process at all, you start with focusing the mind, preferably on a spot, or for beginners, on sounds (for example music, rivers, tides - water works very good, like anything monotone, steady, repetative), complex images (like Mandalas or a picture of some Guru), ideas (like one of God), points on or in your body (like the 3rd eye) or whatever, as long as it’s limited and the mind is kept in boundaries.

I do not dare to explain what Dhyana and Samadhi is, it’s both meditation, which is a deeper form of concentration. Here, you really stop thinking, stop concentrating the mind, but have the mind become one with an object or that “divine”, which has no form at all. This is the “fine art” of not thinking, which is very very difficult, but still some sort of exercise of the mind, just like playing the piano or dancing is an exercise of the body. Here you - as they say - can reach enlightenment, I’ve read a figure in several places and it says, that you will get there, if you stop thinking for about 30 minutes. One example is here, by Dharma Mittra:

"The old masters defined concentration as the ability to keep the mind on one point for twelve seconds without a break. Twelve concentrations - or two and half minutes -equal one meditation. Twelve meditations take a half hour. If you can concentrate without any break, if the flow of concentration is uninterrupted like oil pouring from a spout, then you’ve achieved the last state of yoga, samadhi, cosmic consciousness."
30 minutes. I also read this in a book by Swami Narayanananda, it should be “Secrets of Mind Control”, one very insight- and helpful book that I cannot recommend enough, particularly to those, who have problems to read through ancient scriptures, like the Gita and the Sutras.

That’s it. Yoga in a nutshell.

Many other - to go on a tangent - spiritual methods serve the same purpose. For example to believe in a god and have faith and trust, pray to god, keep your mind always occupied with god. This reduces your thoughts, because there is nothing to think about, nothing to worry about, if you hand over your whole life to god, live your life by gods rules, don’t question what happens to you (read Hiob). Praying is Dharana, particularly that… where you have that little thingy with the littly thingies on them (lol), you know, where you pray the same prayer over and over again. It might be called a rosary or so. There are quite a few Dharananic practices, like not speaking for a long time: If you won’t talk to anyone anyway, so many thoughts become obsolete. Even beating yourself up for bad thoughts and desires is some sort of self-education. The whole ascetic thing, no sex, no luxury, that all serves that purpose of reducing thoughts, for if you manage to get rid of those desires (instead of raping children, feeding yourself fat and building churches out of gold), you have so much less to think about.

Is there really a god? Someone watching over everything, punishing these, gratificating those? I’m not buying it, just like I’m not buying reincarnation. These are vehicles, methods. Good methods, though, and if one choose it, of course they have to stick to it, so rational debate makes no sense at all. Swami Narayanananda explains a lot about this method in the mentioned book, according to him you can even create a god so vivid, that you can see, hear and touch them (him or her). Some form of self-hypnosis I guess. This method also is used by some living Gurus who provide themselves to be believed in by you, there’s a woman quite famous, forgot her name, but I think someone on this board is using her for that purpose. [Edit: This is her, ‘Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi’.] Unfortunately, not everyone is made to have that faith-ability. Unfortunately, because the world of the west only has that method and it leaves a lot of people frustrated with religion.

Speaking of religion: Find out what the word actually means, it comes from latin “religare”, look it up and compare it’s meaning with the meaning of the word “Yoga”, that has been explained in this thread already.

Yoga, though, has more methods, there are four types of people: Those who have faith, those who like doing stuff, those who can concentrate very good and those who think a lot, from the Wikipedia:

Karma Yoga: The yoga of action in the world [do-people]
Jnana yoga: The yoga of Wisdom and intellectual endeavor [think-people]
Bhakti Yoga: The yoga of devotion to God [faith-people]
Dhyana Yoga: The yoga of meditation [concentration-people]

Any individual is mixed of all four types, but usually one is obviously dominant (for me, for example, it’s the thinking, I am a highly intellectual person, and faith doesn’t work very well for me; with a “regular” religion only, I’d be screwed). Yoga serves all types of people and provides methods for everybody, that’s why there are so many forms of Yoga and not just Bhakti, which is the Yogic Christianity.

Well: Nuff said! :smiley:

The article you posted link to is more about karmic effect.

OM!

Hi CityMonk,

The article you posted link to is more about karmic effect.
in case you’re talking to me: No. :wink:

OM!
Good point, you know what that OM-thing is about? Stopping to think. :smiley: Sing OM for a while, like 15 minutes and more, and really focus on the sound you create. No need to be overly occupied with making the “right” sound, no problem if you do variations, just let it come out without turning into a(n existing) melody. Wonderful experience. A small room is very good for that, because it’s being filled up with the sound. Also closing the eyes adds to the effect. OM is a Dharanatic practice, with obviously some Pranayamic aspects, as you will want to breath out really slowly to maintain the sound for as long as you can.

And karma, since we’re at it, to me is a form of what the christian hell is (to me): A state of mind. If you do bad stuff, it won’t get back to you in some sort of higher punishment, it’s not that god or fate or whatever outside yourself notices what you did and does the same to you. As well as hell is not some hot place inside the planet where evil-doers are put to be tortured by funny creatures with animal-features. If you do bad stuff, you hurt yourself, because it will create some sort of conflict, that will continue to occupy your thoughts. And if it does not, if you can do bad stuff without worrying about it later, you’re already a cold and limited person, lacking the quality of compassion, and therefore “in hell” or suffering bad karma. Hell and karma are psychological phenomenons.

very comprehensive, thank you so much for the detailed information.

For exploring yoga you visit this url