Whiplash Injury

Hi guys,

On Wed I was in an automobile accident where I was rear-ended. I am having both physical and psychological after effects. I just feel like I am in a fog. I now have headaches, neck, and back pain. Also, I have tingles in my fingers and feet from time to time. Pretty much the doctor said that these were typical symptoms of whiplash.

I have been off the mat since then because I don’t want to mess anything up even more. I plan on seeing a chiropractor in order to stop the spasms I have. However, I am worried about the long term problems that this accident will cause me.

Has anyone else on here been in an automobile accident? Does this feeling of fogginess/depression/fear get better? Are there any gentle yoga poses that are safe for neck and back injuries that I can do? All I want to do is heal both physically and mentally. I am very discouraged right now.

You will look back on this event one day with a different perspective.

For now, walk through the door of the emotions you are faced with.

Like you said in your first sentence. Accident. Don’t take it personally.

Yoga poses. Hug knees to chest and rock from side to side and in little circles to self-massage your sore muscles.

You will heal. You’ll be fine this time next week.

I was rear ended many years ago and suffered from whiplash. Not fun! While yoga can help with your emotions due to the accident, I would suggest physical therapy. They are best equipped to handle this kind of injury and were a God-send to me when I couldn’t move my neck. After 5 months of PT and almost 15 years of a yoga practice, I have no residual effects whatsoever. Not even arthritis. The PT did twice weekly head, neck and shoulder massages. It was heaven. Did your Dr. recommend this or any type of therapy? I also wore a TENS Unit for almost 2 years to aid in muscle relaxation.

And this of course is my opinion, but I would wait to see a chiropractor. I would first opt for PT is that is available. Nothing against chiropractors. Just think PT is your best option.

In addition, yoga nidra may be helpful to soothe and lift your spirits.

You body and spirit take time to heal. Time, patience and honoring your body will serve you well. All my best for a full recovery.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have an appointment today at a chiropractor. I think this particular practice offers physical therapy also. I am pretty bummed about not being on the mat. I tried to at least meditate but I am so numb emotionally.

It’s horrible because I start the day feeling like normal but after about an hour the pain starts to shoot through my neck and back. That’s when I realize that I am not physically 100% yet.

Again, thanks everyone for your kind words and responses. :slight_smile:

In my experience it is very important to attend to the residue left by the trauma of the automobile collision. This would include physical and emotional residue(s). When not fully addressed there can be long term ramifications. Likewise when fully addressed it is reasonable to expect to return to health.

It may be helpful, emotionally, to acknowledge and explore the energetics of the event. Generally speaking, the representation is “something behind me (the past) is colliding with my body, approaching, creeping up on me”. Part of the Yogic work is to examine what might be asking for your attention from your past.

As for specific postures, passive supported backbends may be “okay”, savasana with a rolled blanket or mat under the neck, and gentle traction of the cervical spine (either manually or in the wall ropes) would be helpful. Forward bends and twists should be avoided and I would not do Surya Namaskar nor a jumpy practice.

gordon

Okay guys, I am back on the mat again. I am regularly going to the chiropractor which has helped a lot. I hope to get back to the point where I left off in my practices soon.

[QUOTE=Enrique;67428]Yes i suggest physical therapy is best option for this because i have personal experience of physical therapy it is bit slow but results are quite impressive…[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am in therapy now and it is helping a lot. I realize though that my neck gets so tensed up. I find that I can no longer practice asana daily because I get too sore. I can only do it a few times a week.