Yoga & Diet: What do you eat?

I was wondering what do you eat? Did you change your eating habits after starting yoga classes?

I have been in and out of different types of yoga till I finally settle for Ashtanga. I was always on a mediterranean kind of diet since I live in Greece and never ever even crossed my mind that I would change that. However, last weeks I find I have an unexplained difficulty eating meat or fish which was never the case for me. Instead I find myself eating vegetables, legumes and rice or pasta and I am guessing that it is probably one of the things yoga does to me. You see since I started yoga I quitted smoking within a week (and it was not planned, it came s a need from inside me), stopped going out every night, stopped drinking alcohol (only allow a couple of wine glasses each week).

The thing is I have no idea how I could be on a vegetarian diet, I am afraid I may not get all the needed vitamins and minerals and although I feel I want to do it I feel kinda lost. How did you transition? Any tips?

Hi Adriana,

Don’t get overwhelmed when you begin the transformation in your diet.

To achieve your goal you should incorporate dietary changes one by one and you should do that with moderation. You should not feel obliged to do any of the dietary changes. These changes should come naturally and with your own will.

What is important is that you should not abandon yoga training because of your inability to abide by its dietary constraints. Do whatever changes you are capable of and stick to your training schedule.

[QUOTE=Paul Dilley;80325]Hi Adriana,

Don’t get overwhelmed when you begin the transformation in your diet.

To achieve your goal you should incorporate dietary changes one by one and you should do that with moderation. You should not feel obliged to do any of the dietary changes. These changes should come naturally and with your own will.

What is important is that you should not abandon yoga training because of your inability to abide by its dietary constraints. Do whatever changes you are capable of and stick to your training schedule.[/QUOTE]

Hi Paul,

To be honest I never imagined I would change my diet, this is why I feel lost. I always thought I would go on with my regular diet and do yoga. But now this has changed, it is a need that comes from inside and I do not know how to cope with it.

Years of dietary trial and error…generally based on others that improved inflammation issues seems to have work i.e. eliminating gluten, dairy and most processed foods. Quality red wine, dark chocolate and green tea seems to have positive not negative effects.

Since the capital Y yoga is a method of self discovery AND that process is ongoing, ever-changing, so too is one’s “diet”. When we become committed to the path we are then in a constant state of refinement - refining our language (which refines the mind), refining our poses, refining how we behave in the world, and refining what is put into our bodies so that we may thrive.

A vegetarian diet is very lovely, and perhaps completely appropriate. However it would be dogmatic for me to assert that it is “for” everyone. It is not a matter of a balanced diet it is a matter of a balancing diet. YOU should feel energized by what you eat, able, empowered, and nourished.

Obviously there are some blatant toxins; MSG, nicotine, pesticides…sensibly these things should be avoided. However if a person chooses not to then that is fine - for them, not for me.

Should you find that a vegetarian diet is what is suitable for you now you will refine this (too) and learn how to manage such eating habits. All the while remaining open to the possibilities (and eventuality) that you are constantly changing and so too may your nutritional needs.

gordon