Yoga and headaches?

Hi I just started Yoga and I love it. I have done about 8 classes within 2 1/2 weeks the only problem that I have is when I get to the floor poses I start getting a headache.
By the end class I always have a headache. I decided the last 4 classes to make sure I drink plenty of water. I hope the headaches stop soon so I can advance in my poses and feel great when I walk out. Anyone that has Yoga experience please help me with suggestions as to why this is happening. I’m not a headache person either.

Hello Barita,
Have you spoken to your teacher about your headaches? Since you’ve said that headaches are uncommon for you, it is most likely an alignment issue which is the easiest fix. Talk to your teacher about what is happening and ask him or her to watch your alignment. Some teachers have more confidence and skill around the art of alignment, so be patient and willing to explore what you [I]feel[/I] in the poses you are doing.

I find that these are good alignment tools for my clients: while you’re in a pose you should be able to breath fully and comfortably, swallow with ease and your mouth should be wet. Another good tool that I use is to have the client go into their normal pose, then I have them relax to about 75% in effort and range of motion. Here in this semi-relaxed position, you can more easily make adjustments to your form while keeping the body safe.

Keep us posted on what you’ve tried and what is working for you.
Namaste,

Barita lola,

The above reccomendataions are from a far more expert source than I but I did have one thing ask or for you to consider.

You say you are not a “headache person” but outside of Yoga do you have any other source of intense physical activity, in a hot environment if that is where your classes are? I ask as I find that there are certain conditions that can bring these on for me all related to intense excercise and often muscle strain in the neck (I can be a tense guy!).

That may allow you to look for common variables, ie. “when it is hot and I play tennis i get a headache” etc…

I have found cooler temps, hydration, and gentle movements minimize my issues.

Good luck.

Jeff

Could you please outline the asana practice with precedes the headache (before the floor poses). Headaches can have a variety of sources including diet, emotion, and tension in the neck and jaw.

If your asana practice, which you will be sharing shortly, is done in such a way as to exacerbate tension in the neck muscles then that might be a culprit to look at more thoroughly.

Hello
As inner athlete wrote, it is important to know which asanas cause the pain.
Some of the asanas like for example bhujangasana can cause a lot of tension in the upper spine.
Try out keeping head neck and upper spine in one line instead of moving the chin forward it might be better.
But still it would be a help to know which asanas cause the problem the most.
Greetings
lars
Patanjali Yoga Schule M?nster

Sometimes headaches can be caused by performing asanas with tension in the facial/neck/head area - similar to when a weight lifter lifts 200 pounds. When performing asanas be sure not to be tense. Your face should be serene and calm otherwise you are probably applying too much pressure in performing the asana.
Many people who perform Sirsasana or Sarvangasana for the first time get headaches because of tension created in the facial/neck area when trying very hard to balance in the pose. With practice of balance these tensions become less.
So in your next yoga session try to notice whether you are getting tensed in the facial area. If so then try to relax the head,neck and face.

If I may, I’d like to add to the information in the post up there just above me.

When doing Sirsasana - assuming the student is in the middle of the room rather than at the wall or between two chairs, or in some contraption that claims it is for headstand - there is some weight borne by the head. As such “relaxing” the neck muscles in such a pose would not be an action that maximizes the student’s safety.

There will, in fact there must, be some contraction of the neck muscles in this asana (again assuming it is in the middle of the room as stated above). It is for this reason that Sarvangasana follows Sirsasana so that the neck muscles engaged in Sirsasana are released in Sarvangasana.

A student with headaches where the headaches may be stemming from agressively contracted muscles or muscles in spasm in the neck would not be doing Sirsasana unless they were between two chairs such that the neck could traction under of its own volition.

Thanks InnerAthlete for the technical details. Unfortunately there are not many teachers like you out there who would teach yoga safely. I know one lady who was in a neck brace for 3 weeks because the teacher made them do Sarvangasana in the first class without laying out the proper precuations and technique.

Many yoga classes are run by over zealous ‘teachers’ who want to ‘capture the market’, so to say, by demonstrating complex poses in the beginning to impress students. This ‘boot camp’ attitude is very bad for the image of yoga as a gentle form of stretching.

I really hope the original poster is not in such a class.

Regarding Sarvangasana, B.K.S Iyengar in his famous book ‘Light on Yoga’ recommends performing Matsyasana immediately following Sarvangasana or Halasana to provide the reverse stretching for the neck muscles.

I think I have digressed too much.
The point of my original post is ‘if your face looks like you are lifting a 200 pound weight then you are straining too much in the asana’

Peace unto everyone

Agreed (mostly).

Sadly, the OP has not even returned to the post. So we are merely talking to ourselves :slight_smile:

Hi All,

I also get headaches from yoga and, rather than start a new thread, I figured I’d comment in here. I only get them when in downward dog and feel fine as soon as I lift my head up. After multiple downward dogs throughout one class, I’ll for sure have a headache at the end. I started holding my head up to reduce my odds of headache, but this isn’t very relaxing and seems to defeat the purpose of the yoga pose.

For more background: I am not prone to headaches, I only get them when severely dehydrated. I drink a lot of water, especially before, during, and after a workout. I do have digestion issues (Celiac Disease) and I have stomach acid problems: GERD and a hiatal hernia, but take medication for the acid. None of those seem to be linked to headaches but maybe water absorption? I DO carry a lot of tension in my upper back and neck since I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day at work, 5 days a week. I also have mild scoliosis in my lower back (I’m female and 6’1" and heard scoliosis is common for tall people). I tend to crack my neck/back throughout the day and night as pressure builds up. I would LOVE it if yoga could improve these things over time, it would change my back and help it into the future!

I’ve been doing yoga (Ashtanga) off and on for 5 years but never got into it fully because of the headaches. I stuck with Pilates (very few poses with the head upsidedown), kickboxing, and running. I would love to do more yoga.

I am open to any and all suggestions!