Yoga for migraine relief

I do about 20 minutes of yoga daily. I cannot do longer sessions because I have four children and my time is extremely limited - however, I feel that short sessions are better than none at all.

My question is this: are there any yoga poses or sequences I can do to relieve an acute migraine attack once it has started? I am going on 36 hours with the same awful headache, and I have tried every type of pain reliever, even a prescription migraine medication, and nothing has worked. I have tried drinking a lot of water. Nothing seems to be helping.

I need a sequence that involves no inversions. They all make the headache worse. Can anyone help me?

Come on, it makes me very sad that no one responded to this.

Hi! Sorry you’re not feeling well. I was hoping for some professional advice myself! But I’ll tell you what I do, keep in mind I’m not an instructor, I can only speak from my experience. Sometimes I can help a migraine with yoga a little, or a lot, sometimes not at all, but I always try. I have a go-to dvd practice with lots of standing forward bends that usually helps a lot. The hanging seems to relieve some pressure for me or something, but if you can’t invert it won’t be for you. Non inversion poses that I will do on my own otherwise that I’ve found helpful to try to help a migraine are:

• cobra alternated with puppy pose (like downdog but on your knees, arms forward, butt in the air and bringing your face to the ground).

• The seated twist where you put your elbow on your opposite bent knee to try to look behind you.

• A pose where you sit with your knees off to the side (like pilates mermaid) & twist your upperbody to look behind you (opposite side as knees) and stretch out on the ground. I saw it in a video once and it just seems to work.

• wag-the-dog… on all fours make like you are bringing your butt and head together at the side, then switch directions back and forth (like cat/cow but sideways) slowly.

• and thread the needle pose… on all fours bring your right arm under your left so you are lying your shoulder & head on the ground.

Forgive my ignorance of proper names :p.

Also, neck massage, if someone isn’t around to help, I do it myself with my own hands or with a shiatsu massager machine. And though unsolicited, I’ve found going grain-free/gluten-free has made a huge difference in frequency.

Hope something I’ve tried and said could be of some help to you. Feel better!

well…first i would try to figure out what causes the headaches… this might be very difficult to trace and require a lot of body awareness and attention to daily activities…quite hard with 4 kids;)

have you tried restorative yoga, meditation and yoga nidra?

anyways keep doing your practice, it will make you more aware of your body and mind…and eventually decision will come to u…

Thank you so much, Missi and City Monk. I have had these migraines for eleven years now, and there does not seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to them at all. I held downward dog pose two days ago for a little longer than usual - maybe ten breaths instead of about six - and lo and behold, I had an atrocious headache the following day.

I still say that yoga saves my sanity daily. Four kids + living in a small town (I am NOT from a small town!) + struggling for money + aaah you all know what I mean. We all have our struggles. Life is just that way. But at least we have yoga!

Thanks for the advice! It means a lot! :slight_smile:

in Migraine issue, pranayama works like wonder and I have few cases that people have recovered a lot. Pranayama takes min 3 months regular pratice to give quite evident results. You should be sincere about the practice and do it without fail.