Yoga poses for Crohn's Disease

Hello out there. I have severe fistulizing Crohn’s Disease and am in an active flare. My doctor wants to put me on a medication called Remicade as a last resort before surgery as I have failed every other drug out there. I’ve spent the last few days reading up on Remicade and have decided I do not want to take it due to the potential side effects and instead want to pursue a holistic treatment regimen. Can anyone suggest some yoga poses for someone with active Crohn’s Disease? I appreciate your assistance. Cheers.

Pascal

I am not a licensed healthcare provider. You should consult multiple doctors first. You might be surprise about how doctors don’t always agree with one another. I am all for natural remedies and lifestyle changes. However, don’t ignore conventional medicine either.
I know that lifestyle changes can be great in preventing illnesses. However, once you are in a stage of a chronic illness conventional medicine is sometimes necessary to treat or cure your illness.

You might find some comfort and reduction of pain through some hollistic treatments like accupuncture and maybe change in diet. I don’t know any yoga poses for crohn’s disease. Your best bet is to talk to more medical doctors, talk to a few naturopathic doctors, talk to experienced yoga instructors and get advice from them.

Hello Pascal,

It must be a very challenging period for you. As a result please allow me to speak directly.

Poses, postures, or [I]asana[/I], as they are termed in sanskrit, are not prescriptions to be doled out for this thing and that thing. First, and foremost, they are only a small slice of a much larger pie called Yoga. Ergo a more comprehensive approach is mandated especially when there is a severity to the dis-ease in the body. Second, these things take time and do not gestate in the span of a microwave meal. Results are often gradual, even slow in coming.

Digestive issues are tricky. When Yoga is used, either in part or in whole, to deal with them there absolutely needs to be contact between teacher and student so that the teachings are spot on. When something going on is emergent or extreme it does call for an equal response in healing protocols. A little thing requires little stuff, a big thing…

Further, the effective approach has to be comprehensive and in Yoga that means asana/pranayama, meditation, and lifestyle/nutrition. For these reasons, if it is Yoga that you truly want to use to support your healing, then please seek out a qualified, therapeutically trained teacher to study with in order to reset your immune system and eliminate the inflammation now present.

I hope this is helpful, knowing full well it is not what you asked for.

gordon

Healing of disease is most likely more about pranayama than asana when practicing the 8 limbs.

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;70091]Healing of disease is most likely more about pranayama than asana when practicing the 8 limbs.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm well that depends Ray. It is not a statement that I could completely align with as it is currently constructed. “Most likely” the issues are more thoroughly addressed through meditation, light, and energy work, though certain pranayama done in certain ways will settle the nervous system.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;70094]Hmmm well that depends Ray. It is not a statement that I could completely align with as it is currently constructed. “Most likely” the issues are more thoroughly addressed through meditation, light, and energy work, though certain pranayama done in certain ways will settle the nervous system.[/QUOTE]

You had already covered it in your previous post Gordon, I agree the comprehensive eight limbs and the associated skillful techniques is a technology best kept intact but the title of the post was what I was referring to “Yoga poses for Crohn’s Disease”, it’s more than just the asana.

Absolutely!

Hi Pascal. I have had Crohn’s 3 yrs…and the signposts always were to surgery. Now I am seeing signpost to recovery. I have lived a very natural life until I had to use some of drugs including remicade for attempt to control flare and fistula. Long term remicade lost control but I now am on HUMIRA…weekly injections and it has worked and now am feeling I can get on with natural living and my preferred choices. I never thought I would say that there is a place sometimes for these drugs with resistant disease. ALL the BEST Patme

Hi Pascal, I hope it gets better. Should you find any natural remedies/therapy don’t forget to talk to your doctors about these just to ensure that it goes hand in hand with your medical therapy. sometimes, something as small as a diet change may do more harm than good… it wouldn’t hurt to seek guidance about these things. :slight_smile: All the best!

Hi Pascal - another Crohnie here. I can’t offer advice about specific yoga poses or whether or not to take Remicade. However, there are several support groups online where you may be able to ask others who have been on Remicade or Humira what their experiences were before you totally discard the notion.

Now back to yoga. The wonderful thing about yoga for me is that it creates a positive connection between me and my at times misbehaving body which I find spiritually healing and physically strengthening. I hope you can have the same experience.

Thank you all.

[QUOTE=CindyRose;70174]However, there are several support groups online where you may be able to ask others who have been on Remicade or Humira what their experiences were before you totally discard the notion.[/QUOTE]
That sounds nice. Which one do you recommend?

I am not allowed to post a link yet but I found the people on the Crohns Disease Forum very supportive and informative. If you search Crohns Disease Forum the website comes. I haven’t been on in over a year but I would imagine the culture hasn’t changed too much over there.

Hi Pascal,

All forms of light yoga and meditation will certainly not hurt your condition and would be beneficial to you both physically and emotionally, helping you deal with the stress you’re probably having from that terrible disease. More importantly though is nutrition. You should consider intaking foods that reduce inflammation and avoid those that cause it. White complex carbs (rice, bananas, potatoes, bread, sugar etc) are notorious for causing inflammation so you should steer away or reduce those. Foods that reduce inflammation greatly are things like Salmon, raw garlic, ginger and turmeric. Almonds and avocados are also great for your condition as the high Vitamin E content is very healing to the gut. You might want to try soaking some blanched almonds overnight and then blending them to make almond milk. Throw away the pulp as this may irritate you. Add some Papaya (Paw Paw) and half a tsp of turmeric to the mix and some stevia to sweeten it if you must. Nutritiondata[dot] com is a great website to use as it tells you how inflammatory or anti-inflammatory foods are.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon :slight_smile:

I concurr a lot with what Aviatrix said. Think yoga for stress relief though I’d add to avoid any poses that are “crunch” like, that put a focus on the upper abdominals, though with most stress relief yoga you probably won’t see much if any of that. I’m not a yoga teacher/expert or anything, just my experience/thoughts. Check your private messages.

Aviatrix,

I’ve been enjoying your nutrition related posts. You mentioned above that vitamin E is very healing for the gut. Can you please point me to some quality sources that showcase that?

Thank you!

Hi David, I’m sure you could do a google search yourself and find lots of quality sources that showcase that. Vitamin E is naturally healing and is often use to help soothe and heal gastritis, peptic ulcers, ulcerative colitis and lots of other stomach ailments as well as other areas of the body. It’s fantastic for your skin especially and it neutralises stomach acids. Sorry, but I don’t sit here doing research and then post. I post what I’ve researched moons ago and am here to pass on the knowledge and hopefully help others. I suggest anyone that reads my posts (or any other posts) do their own research before seeking advice from anything that’s mentioned in any forum. I’m a huge health nut and big on natural remedies and yoga goes hand in hand with good nutrition. Yoga is very helpful in eliminating toxins but with good nutrition, there’s less to eliminate and one is less likely to fall ill.

Hi Aviatrix,

I did research vitamin E and wasn’t able to find any scholarly articles or reputable sites that showcased its digestive health virtues so I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I have lymphocytic colitis and run a community for people with inflammatory bowel disease so we’re always looking for new information.

And why would you want to neutralize stomach acid?

Hi David, I had Gastritis for a year after I was hospitalised from a breathing problem due to a rib injury. The quacks told me it was stomach related and put on medication which caused it. I cured myself with nutrition when the doctors couldn’t. I was in and out of hospital, I couldn’t eat anything. I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t even drink water and was on a drip. In the meantime, the doctors kept increasing the dose of the medication that caused it (PPIs) I finally gave up and decided to take matters into my own hands. A naturopath put me on the right track but I ditched her because she was far too expensive. I already had a good understanding of nutition and so I used my knowledge as well as the knowledge I gained from her and slowly fixed myself up.

When one suffers from an inflammatory bowel disorder like Crohn’s, Gastritis, Colitis, IBS etc, the inflammation stops absorption of vital nutrients so the person’s condition often deteriorates. Furthermore, the lining of the stomach becomes perforated (leaky gut) and they end up with bacteria, fungus and other no nos in the blood stream further complicating the issue and making them acidic as a whole… they end up with stomach acid in the blood stream as well. The thing they need to do in this case is to heal the gut and to do this they must reduce the inflammation and take plenty of nutrients to help the body heal itself. I went on a 30 day juice fast (something I do routinely every year anyway). I juiced on mainly fruits and veggetables (organic) to get as much nutrients in my body as possible and I supplimented on Zinc, Vitamin E, B12, and all the things I couldn’t get from not having animal proteins. After the juice fast, I was feeling much better and then went onto blending instead of juicing for a couple of weeks and slowly introduced proteins back into my diet. It took a while to fix what conventional medicine caused but I got there. Before I began this, I had turned from a healthy fit and very active person to a frail, weak person of skin and bones. I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t lie down (as I still had the rib injury that they didn’t diagnose) and I was close to carking it. Nutrition saved my life… I saved my life. Health is not a privillege, it’s our right but if we abuse our body and treat it like a cess pool, we lose that right. We have to feed it what it needs to heal, whether it’s nutrients, the sun, yoga and meditation. (By the way, the best way to get vitamin D is to look at the sun for 5 minutes in the morning through filtered trees).

As for nutralising acids, when your stomach and gut is inflamed, acid irritates it further. It’s important to nutralize the acids quickly after digestion and it’s also important to minimise acidic foods to allow your gut to heal. However, you don’t want to take acid blocking medication because that will make the issue worse over time (that’s what caused my gastritis). If you’re on PPIs and I suspect you might be with your condition, then you’ll probably find that you’re very acidic, despite taking the acid blockers. This is due to gastrin levels rising dramatically.

Anyway, back on track (I’m all over the place because I’m in a hurry), once the stomach lining or your gut is healed, then the person can go back to eating some acidic foods, but not too much as they don’t want the problem to return.

Hi Aviatrix, I’m not on any PPIs, I’m healing myself with nutrition and other holistic means, like you. :slight_smile:

You mention the best way to get Vitamin D is to look at the sun through filtered trees in the morning. Where did you read or learn this as it goes against everything I’ve learned. And I’d still love a source for your vitamin E assertion. My other forum receives over 100,000 unique visitors a month with digestive problems so you’d be helping a whole heck of a lot of people. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi David, as I mentioned before my main source was my Naturopath. She cured a friend of cancer so she knows her stuff. She was just way too greedy for money. I spent around $3000 per month with her so you see why I had to give her up after a few months. She made me go out every morning and look at the sun directly through the trees for five minutes. She also made me tap my thymus gland three times a day to boost my immunity. lol, I looked pretty ridiculous each morning under a tree looking at the sun tapping myself but she did heal me.

As for the Vitamin E, the avocados and the almond milk really soothed my stomach each time I had it and I know Vitamin E is healing and is used for burns etc. Also the avocados are anti-inflammatory and the omega fatty acids were beneficial too. I was severely malnourished from having Gastritis for over a year so I had to pump myself with lots of nutrients. I know with any inflammatory bowl disorder, it’s difficult to absorb nutrients, particularly fat solubules like Vit E, A, D and I think K. It’s just food and vitamins so it can’t hurt to try, just don’t overdo. I had to because I was close to fading away.

I just love sharing what I’ve learned from her and my experience because most people can’t afford to see a naturopath and pay that sort of money and conventional medicine just covers up the problem without looking for the source of it.