Yoga to tone my body?

i was curious if anyone had noticed that yoga was toning their body. i have tried weight training in the past but it always makes me too bulky. however, i’m just not sure if yoga will be enough to really get me in shape (i’m a new comer). any success stories are welcome

Since this is open discussion, I am going to just jump right in!

I found yoga about 5 years ago, and definitely think toning is a wonderful side-effect. After all, it is your own body weight you are hoisting around. :smiley: I also used to do weight lifting and running, etc, and have noticed I get about the same results with yoga, except the muscle is longer, leaner, and I like the look better.

Add that to the calming, centering, mind/spirit benefits and it is MY feeling that you’ve covered everything. Yoga has also turned some of my not-so-good eating habits around—it just makes you WANT to eat more healthy, can’t explain it. If you have any weight to lose, perhaps a small amt of walking or something on the side. I am a middle aged woman and need this , plus enjoy it, as does my dog. :wink:

i’ve noticed that my upper body is always sore after yoga - but never my butt and only occassionally my legs. will yoga be able to tone myy legs & butt? i do run 3-4 miles a day as well.

I’ll bet your upper body muscles are sore because they are being worked and in a different way than you may have done before. Whereas, your lower bosy muscles are continuously worked by th running, and are already in better shape, hence the ‘no soreness.’’ ??

if you aren’t feeling it in your legs i suggest really getting deep into the pose, holding it longer, etc…there are ways to evolve as your legs become accustomed to the practice…i am just new to yoga, but have been a weightlifter my entire life so i have had to find ways to stimulate the leg muscles during my yoga practice…best of luck

I find yoga a good complement to weight training and martial arts for balancing my body.

As a personal trainer I can tell you that yoga is a wonderful complement to your fitness regimen. However, IMO you’d have to be doing several different styles consistently if you expect yoga to be your sole physical outlet. Ashtanga or power yoga probably requires the most physical exertion, but even then after 8-12 weeks of going you’ll likely notice that the physical benefits have plateaued, meaning you won’t continue to see improvements unless you change things up.

You mentioned that you run, which is great for the cardiopulmunary system and a fine workout for the lower body. Yoga can help with strength training for the upper body and core (abs/low back), but I suspect you’ll find you need more to get a good workout. Yoga is, of course, awesome work for improving flexibility and balance, and serves to make one more aware of the body as a whole.

Just my two cents. :wink:

Orion