Yoga weird feelings after please advice

Hi,
I am new here and I am new to yoga, I have been suffering from anxiety for about 4 months now, I was anxiety free for 3 years but now it back ( before I suffered from anxiety for 6 years)…I have dont two classes of yoga so far I am enjoying it very much and feel great during the classes, My questions is after yoga I feel relaxed but hyper at the same time, its difficult to explain, Then about 1 hour later I started to get very nervous like my anxiety symptoms are intensified. Is it normal to feel worse when starting yoga before feeling better? And if yes why? And if anyone suffers or suffered from anxiety how did you feel when you first started yoga? Thanks in advance for any responses…

To do something you have not done before, such as yoga, and experience things you have not felt/experienced before such as the relaxed and hyper at the same time, is not abnormal. How best to get through that may be a question to ask your instructor?

You say “Is it normal to feel worse when starting yoga before feeling better”

you said after. for about an hour, you feel relaxed. is that feeling worse then before?

Yoga is new to you, hopefully it will smooth out over time.
best to you
Brother Neil

Thank you for your reply…I will ask my instructor if thats normal

There are two factors to consider.
The first is whether the practice is appropriate for your condition. Assuming the answer there is “yes it is” then the second question would be, “is my body processing changes to it in a healthy way and is that process a rough go”.

It is fairly common when the body has adjustment - be that subluxated vertebra, diet, or alignment, to have some headaches, discomfort, nausea, etcetera. And this could be though of as an intensified detoxification (though I’d point out that the human body is always detoxing).

The caution is that some practices, while labeled “yoga”, are not appropriate for anxiety disorders. For example forward bends for someone with depression is not at all advised. And of course we know that forward bends are asana and asana is a component of Yoga. Unfortunately some people feel that all yoga is good for all things and this simply does not carry much weight in terms of accuracy.

gordon

I`ve experienced this, when had too intensive physical practice without good mind control. Savasana with “kevali” breathing few times a day helped me greatly.

As someone who has dealt with bouts of mild and moderate anxiety, I have to say that [I]asana[/I] (yoga poses) practice along side with meditation and breath control have been of great help to me. I won’t say that yoga is a miracle cure, but I have not needed to take prescription medications for quite some time.

When you describe feeling both relaxed and hyper, that sounded very familiar to me. My body is certainly relaxed after an asana practice, and yet filled with a burst of new energy for the remainder of my day.

As far as an increase in anxiety symptoms, could that be a result of just trying something new? I’m trying to think back to my first few classes, and I think I left wondering, “did I just look like an idiot in front of a bunch of strangers?” :smiley:

[QUOTE=samoahmad;31916]Hi,
Is it normal to feel worse when starting yoga before feeling better? And if yes why? And if anyone suffers or suffered from anxiety how did you feel when you first started yoga? Thanks in advance for any responses…[/QUOTE]

I felt hyper sometimes after yoga classes. I think it is normal, because somehow you generate and release some good energy during SOME practices. Anxiety can come too if you do not cope right with that energy I think. I had panic attacks since I was a child.

Can you describe your regular class?

Yoga in any form brings about a change in you. So, the first question is are you ready for a change? It is not easy. Yoga is not like popping a few pills to get rid of the pysical problems. Depending on what form of Yoga you do and how deep you reach, your body cells change. And before changing, they rebel. You need a good teacher who would make you aware of it.

Gordon is right. You need to share your condition with your teacher who should prescribe right postures. And Abdhija brings in a very valuable thought. In Yoga-Sutra, the first four limbs of Yoga, yama, niyama, asana and pranayama, are recommended for concurrent practice. They are complementary to each other. For example, yama are rules of behavior; but behavior is not easily molded unless asana allows you connectivity to your inner self that is the conductor orchestrating the external behavior.

So, with guidance from able teacher, it would help you to be ready for a change and then to manage a change on as many fronts as you can. My prayers for your well-being.