Yoga while sick

Hi, I recently retired and am working part time and consequently, have doubled my exercise routine (2-3 hours a day) basically, my routine is:

4 hours of Yoga a week
10 miles of walking vigorously a week
10-12 miles swimming a week
2 spin classes a week

Despite my doctor claiming I am the poster child of health, I’ve been sick for 5 weeks with a virus that ran rampant in my area (most everyone was sick for at least a month with this virus) I am finally recovered, and 2 weeks later, have come down with a ferocious cold.

I did yoga throughout the virus illness however, I just read that

"doing Yoga classes when you are in any stage of dealing with a cold or flu will likely result in becoming more sick and being sick for a longer period of time."
The article went on to explain, however, I was especially struck with the paragraph:

If you are full-out sick, many restorative poses should be avoided, especially postures placing the head below the level of the heart and lungs. Sometimes with colds, we encounter infections of the sinus and inner ear. When we place the head below the level of the heart, [B]extra blood pressure moves into the infected inner ear which could lead to serious damage. [/B]Inverting the head can also create discomfort with sudden pressure or fluid release coming from the sinus.

Can anyone verify this? I’m interested because in the midst of the virus, while continuing to do yoga and other exercise, I developed a bad inner ear problem with terrible balance problems that lasted for weeks. I found that inversions actually cleared up the dizziness at least for the day. Now I’m wondering if the yoga actually caused the imbalance. Does anyone know what “serious damage” means?

How long does one refrain from down dog and other like poses with a cold? Thanks for any light you can shed on these questions.

I’d say go with your gut feeling…

Personnaly, I doubt that any yoga could make an affliction worst.

I just know that I’ve read repeatedly that BEFORE a cold, all those inversions are wonderful. They help protect you. But AFTER it’s already happened, it can make the cold worse.

Hi

There are certain yoga poses that do help with cold, clearing away respiratory problems and strenghen your immunity.

You can do what you feel is best for you.

Feel better soon.
Lexi

[quote=LexiYoga;17779]Hi

There are certain yoga poses that do help with cold, clearing away respiratory problems and strenghen your immunity.

You can do what you feel is best for you.

Feel better soon.
Lexi[/quote]

Thanks Lexi and everyone else! Lexi, any poses you could recommend? My runny nose has stopped, my head is fairly clear and I feel ok today and would love to do SOMETHING! Thx.:slight_smile:

Whenever the body is experience illness or sickness like that it’s generally a sign that something is out of alignment. In order to get back into alignment with nature we need to allow ourselves to become more sensitive to know how to get back into gear :wink: as usually our bodies know exactly what is necessary. We tend to get in the way. Generally, nature demands us to slow down when we are sick. She’s pretty good at it, as you will fall on your behind if you choose to ignore her! So, I would suggest restorative poses, such as supported badha konasana and other supported back bends where the head is above the heart. I would even do supported child’s pose, supported upavistha konasana, and supported janu sirsasana. I would also try doing some pranayama: a bit of kaphalabhati, followed by a longer period of nadhi shodhana (alternate nostril breathing). If you do want to do more asana, I would suggest doing a slow and deep hip opening and twisting practice, to keep you grounded and to release toxins more fully. Oh and of course SAVASANA up the wazoooo!!! Give yoga nidra a try, if you haven’t already. To keep it simple it’s savasana for 30-60 min! Deep relaxation and incredibly healing :smiley:

Choosing to find the pause, the stillness and quiet both in your heart and in the breath can jumpstart the immune system like you wouldn’t believe. It allows the nervous system to reset itself so that we begin to strengthen from the inside out. When we power through it, and rely on what we are used to often times just takes us back to the same place. Slowing it down in this way will also give you the tools to practice inversions as you would have been working at keeping your blood pressure quiet and soft, so you would be ever more sensitive when you did the inversions to know when you are pushing things.

Each pose has it’s contraindications, BUT you can practice any pose regardless of the contraindications IF you are mindful, and your intention is absolutely clear and aligned with the highest. That is the hard part :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

I’ll try and keep this short and simple.

Listen to your body, do what your body feels it needs to do, whether it be a couple short yoga poses, or a day in bed, or a full asana practice.

Always try and keep some meditations and pranayama happening though. Especially deep diaphragmatic breathing, or Ujjayi breathing. This will help the energy, or prana circulate through your body and heal, or attack what needs to be healed or attacked. If you are experiencing a lot of phlegm and mucous, kapalabahti is great. In the end LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! It knows the best way to ease your dis-ease.

[quote=Kamma;17799]I’ll try and keep this short and simple.

Listen to your body, do what your body feels it needs to do, whether it be a couple short yoga poses, or a day in bed, or a full asana practice.

Always try and keep some meditations and pranayama happening though. Especially deep diaphragmatic breathing, or Ujjayi breathing. This will help the energy, or prana circulate through your body and heal, or attack what needs to be healed or attacked. If you are experiencing a lot of phlegm and mucous, kapalabahti is great. In the end LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! It knows the best way to ease your dis-ease.[/quote]

Thank you Kamma,

Excuse my question, but kapalabahti isn’t the very fast “fire” breathing technique is it? I spent 2 days in bed, and on day 3 did 45 mins of poses, mainly hip openers and down dog/warrior poses. Sorry but I don’t know the proper terms for those.:confused: I still wonder if anyone can answer my question that I originally also asked about inflicting serious inner ear damage when doing poses where the head is below the heart when you have a cold.

Yo Geek,

Lots of good advice here. Lots depending on personal preference and the circumstances. Taking a break from yoga is also a good thing.

In my experience, I don’t want to be compromised when I’m doing postures, sickness or injury. I know I can’t really do them very well anyway, and sometimes even feel as though I’m being compromised further. I take a break.

But I would agree with Kamma here, meditation and pranayama, if possible, will help you stay balanced and clean. Give it the time it takes. Build it back up slowly.

Get well soon,

siva

Yes Kapalabhati is the technique also known as fire breathing.

Hi

I would recommend that you include these 6 yoga poses that can help strengthen your immune system.

The poses are: Downward dog, Child’s Pose, Straddle Forward Bend, Headstand, Plough Pose and Wheel Pose.

If some of these poses seem advanced, you can do Legs Up instead of Headstand and Bridge Pose instead of Wheel Pose.

I found my immunity improved when practiced yoga often. The classes that attended include these poses.

It is important to do what you can and to notice what your body is feeling at the moment of practice.

Enjoy;)

Lexi

The most under-utilized tool for human well being is rest.

[quote=siva;17804]Yo Geek,

Lots of good advice here. Lots depending on personal preference and the circumstances. Taking a break from yoga is also a good thing.

In my experience, I don’t want to be compromised when I’m doing postures, sickness or injury. I know I can’t really do them very well anyway, and sometimes even feel as though I’m being compromised further. I take a break.

But I would agree with Kamma here, meditation and pranayama, if possible, will help you stay balanced and clean. Give it the time it takes. Build it back up slowly.

Get well soon,

siva[/quote]

Thank you Siva. Good advice.

[quote=LexiYoga;17817]Hi

I would recommend that you include these 6 yoga poses that can help strengthen your immune system.

The poses are: Downward dog, Child's Pose, Straddle Forward Bend, Headstand, Plough Pose and Wheel Pose.

If some of these poses seem advanced, you can do Legs Up instead of Headstand and Bridge Pose instead of Wheel Pose.

I found my immunity improved when practiced yoga often. The classes that attended include these poses.

It is important to do what you can and to notice what your body is feeling at the moment of practice.

Enjoy;)

Lexi[/quote]

Lexi,

Thanks for the site! I love the pictures and explanations. I do all those poses in my practice. I guess my resistance just wore down, although I am so much better today and have recovered much quicker than usual, probably thanks to resting for a couple of days, and all my wonderful prior yoga practices. Do you practice when you are sick? It seems the majority concensus is to rest.

[quote=YoGeek;17789]Whenever the body is experience illness or sickness like that it’s generally a sign that something is out of alignment. In order to get back into alignment with nature we need to allow ourselves to become more sensitive to know how to get back into gear :wink: as usually our bodies know exactly what is necessary. We tend to get in the way. Generally, nature demands us to slow down when we are sick. She’s pretty good at it, as you will fall on your behind if you choose to ignore her! So, I would suggest restorative poses, such as supported badha konasana and other supported back bends where the head is above the heart. I would even do supported child’s pose, supported upavistha konasana, and supported janu sirsasana. I would also try doing some pranayama: a bit of kaphalabhati, followed by a longer period of nadhi shodhana (alternate nostril breathing). If you do want to do more asana, I would suggest doing a slow and deep hip opening and twisting practice, to keep you grounded and to release toxins more fully. Oh and of course SAVASANA up the wazoooo!!! Give yoga nidra a try, if you haven’t already. To keep it simple it’s savasana for 30-60 min! Deep relaxation and incredibly healing :smiley:

Choosing to find the pause, the stillness and quiet both in your heart and in the breath can jumpstart the immune system like you wouldn’t believe. It allows the nervous system to reset itself so that we begin to strengthen from the inside out. When we power through it, and rely on what we are used to often times just takes us back to the same place. Slowing it down in this way will also give you the tools to practice inversions as you would have been working at keeping your blood pressure quiet and soft, so you would be ever more sensitive when you did the inversions to know when you are pushing things.

Each pose has it’s contraindications, BUT you can practice any pose regardless of the contraindications IF you are mindful, and your intention is absolutely clear and aligned with the highest. That is the hard part :slight_smile:

Hope that helps![/quote]

YOGEEK,

Thanks so much for the helpful info! Would you mind terribly, giving me the poses in “layman’s” terms. What is upavistha konasana and janu sirsasana?

I don’t know the actual medical answer to the inner ear question. My only advice is at the very least listen to what your intuition and instincts tell you. Listen to what your body is telling you. Which when you are sick or too sore or whatever may very well be to rest. It is very very very ok to rest! Rest is good! Rest, when necessary, is healing.

Yeah, so much to consider when you’re sick. I would say go with what feels right, but then I know that I often feel sicker after doing yoga, pranayama or meditation. It kind of feels like I’m purging and soon after I feel great.

Sometimes it’s difficult to rely on the body’s messages. I have relied on a lifetime of experimenting to see what works for me… and I’m still learning every day. I’m sure many of you can relate!

It’s important to rest when you’re feeling ill and get as much sleep as possible. But if your body allows you to practice yoga, then that’s great. I’ve been doing hot yoga because of the heat, which helps to get rid of colds and helps to detoxify. Even regular yoga classes help because after you tend to sleep better. It tires out the body, then it can heal at night.

Lexi

Can anyone elaborate on [I]why[/I] inverted postures can exacerbate a cold?

I’ve been very sick w/what I guess is Swine flu: crushing headaches, low fever, terrible stomach and back pain, total exhaustion, sore throat, congestion, coughing for 2 weeks, and general ill feeling. So, I haven’t gone to work in 2 weeks, since I can barely move off the couch. I haven’t exercised in 2 weeks (a first for me in 31 years!). I want so badly to do yoga, but am so weak. I feel like I have sand instead of blood in my body. I tried walking slowly on the treadmill and feel worse afterwards–not a good sign. After my last flu, I suffered imbalance for 8 months, so I’m afraid to do any poses where my head is below my heart. I’d appreciate anyone’s input on whether or not I should attempt to do yoga.